Tuesday, June 27, 2017

My Summer 2017 Reading List Update

Well, it's nearly the end of June and I've made a huge dent in my summer reading list. What can I say?  I seem to be out of the reading slump I was in earlier this spring. And it also helps when some of your favorite authors have new books out, too. So today, I thought I would share a short summary of what I've read so far.


Summer Favorite
By far, the favorite book I've read so far this summer is Elin Hilderbrand's, The Identicals. If you do nothing else this summer, read this book! I finished it in two days! Like all her other books, it's the perfect beach read and I also cried at the end, and I am not even ashamed. I believe this is my favorite Hildebrand novel of all time.


The Identicals: A Novel by [Hilderbrand, Elin]

Biggest Disappointment
No words. I know I totally hyped this book in my previous post, but please do not begin your Gudenkauf repertoire with this one. It's the first book of hers that I had actually thought about not finishing, but I was determined to find out "who did it." Gudenkauf is known for her big plot twists at the end, but sadly, there wasn't one with this read. I think my hardest problem was that I just couldn't identify with the main character. 

Not a Sound: A Page-Turning Thriller by [Gudenkauf, Heather]

Just OK
All The Best People was just ALL over the place for me. I was like, wow! I enjoyed the book and it had a happy ending (thank goodness!), but it wasn't even a 4-star in my opinion. My heart went out to Carole and Allison, but that's just about it. 

All the Best People by [Yoerg, Sonja]

Currently Reading
Right now, I'm about 25% into James Patterson's, 16th Seduction of the Women's Murder Series. So far: Meh? It's got to get a little more exciting to keep me reading, but I absolutely love the series and characters!

16th Seduction (Women's Murder Club) by [Patterson, James, Paetro, Maxine]

Lagniappe
Another book that I read, but wasn't on my original list, was The Letter by Kathryn Hughes.  Two stories in one. Such a sweet, kinda predictable read. And cheap, too! It was voted the most popular e-reader book on Amazon, so while I was waiting for actual library books to come in, I picked this one up on my kindle and really liked it. 

Looking Forward To
For you fans of The Good Girl, author Mary Kubica has got a new book coming out TODAY called, Every Last Lie. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Can't Decide
I haven't read or seen many great reviews to Paula Hawkins new novel, Into The Water. Many of you will remember her first novel, The Girl On The Train.  I honestly wasn't a fan of that book, but I just couldn't put it down, either. Weird. 

So what are YOU reading this summer?

Linking up with Tuesday Talk, Royally Waiting, and Friday Favorites.

27 comments:

  1. Hey hottie! I have never read an Elin Hilderbrand book so now I have to change that! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! You need to remedy that soon, Sista!!

      Delete
    2. Amanda!! As much as you love the beach you will love Elin's books!

      Delete
  2. I'm feeling the same way about Into a The Water. Wasn't a big fan of The Girl on the Train, but still glad I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I've read my first E Hildenbrand book, I want more. I'm going to pick that up one up this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura, like you I wasn't enamoured of Girl on the Train. I'm reading The Swimming Pool which is keeping me curious. I like happy ending books though or mysteries. I'll look at the Identicals. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! I haven't heard of The Swimming Pool. I'll have to look that one up!

      Delete
  5. Into the Water is on my list as well! I haven't read anything by Elin Hilderbrand. I need to check her out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just looking at an Elin H book that was a 2fer at Costco the other day. (2 books in 1...just in case you don't know what I'm trying to say). If I was going back to the beach I would have definitely bought it. I'm going to add this one to my list though. You are really getting some reading done lady. The most I've read is the nutritional inforamation on boxes...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elin is a favorite of mine!! This just went in my Amazon cart!!! Love you angel, I had a dream last night you and Alise came to visit (Alise was in a pink dress with sparkles and you had on a navy tunic with white legging capris all nautical!!! And Wayne missed Mr. Nine so much that he hopped on plane to join us, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had not seen this book and it's been a bit since I've read any Elin....adding to my list NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read The Identicals...it looks perfect for summer! Don't bother with Into the Water. I just couldn't get into it! Glad to see your reading funk is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Tanya! Thanks!

      Delete
  10. I'm excited to read The Identicals. I just finished "Crazy Rich Asians" - and totally recommend it for a summer read. Fun and easy and a total page turner. It's the first in a series of 3, so I need to get the second one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that book and wondered if I should try it. Thanks for recommending it, Lana! I'll had it to my to-read shelf that vastly growing!

      Delete
  11. I am so glad to hear that you liked The Identicals! I got that this month with my Book of the Month order and haven't gotten to read it yet. Hoping to read over vacation if I don't get slammed with all of my library holds available at the same time. I love reading from the library but get stressed when that happens!! I am about halfway through Crazy Rich Asians and it is a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added Crazy Rich Asians to my to-read list, so I'm glad it will be a good one. I'm glad I'm not the only one that panics when all those library books start rolling in! Ha!

      Delete
  12. I have been in a reading funk too. This winter I read so many books and now I haven't picked one up in months. I think your Elin Hilderbrand recommendation is going to change that! I have read several of her books and loved them all. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol reading funks are no fun, Erin, especially when you're in the mood to really read something! Have a Happy 4th!

      Delete
  13. I can't wait to read Elin Hilderbrand's new book. I love her work. I've been getting into Tana French's novels. I'm on my third one and if you like suspense I would give her a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've read a few Tana French books, but thanks for reminding me about her! Have a great 4th of July holiday!

      Delete
  14. I hated every single character in Girl on a Train and yet I plowed through that book like my life depended on it. I have not read Into the Water yet. I actually had it from the library, but it came at a busy time so it went back unread. It has gotten so many mixed reviews that I have decided whether to put myself back on the waiting list. Every Last Lie fell flat for me, but it was my first Kubica book so I cannot compare it to her other works. Kubica may just not be for me. I'm adding The Identicals to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the Identicals so I will definitely dive in after hearing others loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear what you think!

      Delete
  16. I liked Not a Sound. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to give Elin Hilderbrand a chance! Her books sound right up my alley! And I'll never quit the Women's Murder Club series! They're just so good and addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read anything by Elin Hilderbrand or Heather Gudenkauf, I will have to check their books out (I will skip the Gudenkauf you mentioned). I did not hate Girl On the Train or Into the Water. I think I was more edge of my seat/what the hell is going on with Girl On the Train but I was more curious with Into the Water. I don't know, I liked both lol

    ReplyDelete