Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Wednesday Hodge Podge

It's been nearly a year since I've played along with Joyce and her Hodge Podge link up, so I thought I'd give it a try again today!

 

1. Is your home air conditioned? If it's not air conditioned, is that by choice? Did you grow up with air conditioning? If not how did you cope with the heat? Share about a time or place you remember as being too hot-the temperature kind of hot, lest anyone be confused.
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at this question. I tell my friends that I don't "sweat," I "glisten." With that being said, yes, our home is air conditioned.  Here in Louisiana, it's a must - especially with temperatures climbing into the 100's later this week! God knew what he was doing when he placed me in the era of hair dryers and air conditioning! I believe the hottest I've ever been was at an outside KISS concert IN Dallas, IN August. It was SO hot that I truly thought that I was going to die. 


2. What's something in your life right now that falls under the heading 'up in the air'?
It would have to be my fractured foot and how much longer I'll be needing Felicia, my boot.  I get asked every day how much longer will I have to wear her and I honestly don't know.  Dr. D was so unhappy with me at my last visit two weeks ago, that the subject just never came up and I didn't think to ask.  He told me I needed to "baby this break," so that tells me I still have a way to go for recovery.  I'm just calling this "The Summer With Felicia"!


 3. Your favorite light and airy dessert?
My favorite summer desserts are Lemon Ice Box Pie and Angel Food Cake with sliced strawberries. You can check out my Weight Watcher version of LIB by clicking HERE.  Note to self: Post your Angel Food Cake recipe (from scratch!). We've also been eating a fair share of homemade ice cream this summer as well!

4. When did you last feel like you were 'floating on air'?
"Floatin on air" or "falling from the sky," whichever it was, would have to be the night of June 9th when I fell on our stairs!  I was only four steps from the bottom, but it still felt like I was soaring in slow motion!

5. Airport, airmail, airtight, airhead...which have you most recently encountered? 
Explain.
Although I've been known to be an airhead a time or two in my life, a recent example just doesn't come to mind.  So I would have to go with airport. If you've been reading my blog for a while, then you know that Wayne and I spend alot of unnecessary time in the AIRPORTS when we were traveling to Hawaii for our cruise last April.


6.  Have you ever been to the Alps? If so where did you go? If not, is this a destination on your must-see list? If you were headed that direction this summer, which of the following would be your preferred activity...a gentle walk, a serious walk, a bike ride, a boat ride around one of the lakes, or summer snow skiing?
I have never been to the Alps and it's not something on my must-see list.  But if I were headed that way this summer, I would like to take a gentle walk and do some sight-seeing around the tiny villages.  The Alps sure do look beautiful in the movies and on television.

7. What is one saying or phrase that was considered 'cool' when you were growing up?
All my friends know that I'm a child of the 80s & 90s! These are words or phrases that come to mind: "Barf Me Out!," "Cowabunga, dude!", "Freaked Out," "Gag Me With A Spoon," "Glam Girl," & "Chill Out."


8. Insert your own random thought here.
Today is Wayne's birthday! I think the two of us may get dressed up and go out for a quiet dinner together, but most of the celebration will take place this weekend when Alise gets home from Alabama.  This is the second year in a row that she's missed Wayne's birthday so we promised her that we would have cake and ice cream and presents this weekend.  She tends to be like me!  I go all out for birthdays, even though Wayne could really care less.  "It's just another day to him," he says.  But I think birthdays are special and need to be celebrated!  What do you think?

If you live close to a McAllister's Deli, tomorrow is FREE TEA DAY! What a great way to cool off from the heat!

28 comments:

  1. Yes, celebrate birthdays! Absolutely! I loved all your 80's phrases! They were the bomb! (I think that's even older. lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Bomb!" How did I miss that one, Marla?

      Delete
  2. Fun post and answers to today's questions. I may need to tell hubby about the free tea. I love McAllister's Deli and he loves tea. Sounds like a winner to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free is always a win-win in my book, Cathy! Thanks for stopping by and reading today!

      Delete
  3. So glad you joined us back on Wednesday Hodgepodge. I didn't answer this week. Baked instead!! I remember my doctor beating me to the line, "when am I getting this thing off?" He always knew it would be my first question. Hang in there! "Chill out," I remember too that line. I STILL use it. All the time. Fun answers and I love getting to know others through this Q & A each week. Looking forward Laura to next week and Joyce's choice of questions, how she comes up with these. I'd never sleep thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you baked up all kinds of goodness, Michelle! I love to bake, too, especially in the Fall and winter! Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your foot! I'm sure that's no fun, in the summer especially. Happy birthday to your hubs! I'm a believer in making birthdays a big deal. One people have to be pulled into the celebrating : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to go all out for birthdays, and hub says it is just another day. Hope your break will mend soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammy! I'm doing better, but still have a long way to go!

      Delete
  6. I definitely "sweat". No glistening on me, for sure! :)
    Happy birthday to Wayne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to go all out for birthdays too! "Cowabunga Dude!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I laughed out loud at that first question too. I can't even imagine life without A/C, especially in hot'n'humid Houston. We basically have three months each year that are like living in a sauna. Also, I love the picture of you and Wayne in Hawaii. And I got another laugh with the Valley Girl expressions. Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am so aggravated! I had my HP all ready to publish and somehow it just "magically" disappeared overnight. Ugh! I just do not have time to redo it, so............. I'm with you on the sweating, I cannot stand it and avoid it at all costs. :o)) You and Hubby have a great evening celebrating and I remember all of those silly sayings. How funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your missing post, Lea! I totally understand why you're miffed! Check your "drafts" and see if it "disappeared" there. Hope you find it!

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthdya Wayne! I also can't imagine no air conditioning, that would be the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No a/c while pregnant would be the worst, Ginny!

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday to Wayne!! Had to laugh at the 80s/90s sayings. "Oh my Gawd" said in my best Valley Girl accent!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear ya on that Texas weather in the summer! Killer!! I have 2 more outside concerts this summer here. I hope I survive! Hope you get rid of Felicia! I fell down some steps and severely sprained my ankle. Told to take it easy. I did a difficult hike in Washington State the next month and am still paying for it! Do what dr. says! Also a big shout out "Happy Birthday Wayne!" I love birthdays! Glad I finally found you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hot summer time is not a good time to be pals with Felicia! :-(( So sorry. Sounds miserable. But you look cheerful. Keep up the good attitude. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Felicia and I have not had a good summer, but thank you for the compliment and for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  14. Laura, I don't think we've met before but it is always so much fun to meet a fellow Louisiana blogger. I live in Shreveport, but grew up in the south central part of the state. Liking Lemon Ice Box Pie makes us almost sisters. HA! Thank you for stopping by. Yes, we southerners take our A/C's for granted and are thankful for it. Especially 100 degree days. I'm a winter person and do NOT enjoy these sweltering days of summer.

    So sorry about your foot. I had extensive foot surgery in Oct of last year and know what an inconvenience that can be. Please listen to the doc and take care of yourself. It can be a lengthy recovery.

    Happy Birthday to Hubby Wayne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth! I believe we "met" last year about this time when I was doing the weekly HPs. I live in Monroe and I think you said you use to attend NMBC. So nice to "meet" up with you again! I am not a summer person, either! I'm SO looking forward to fall and boots and soups again!

      Delete
  15. Sorry to hear about your foot. Hope you enjoy the birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry about the foot! I know how annoying the cas can be, I had a broken wrist several years ago. Also in summer so it was hot and itchy in there. :/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh geez I sweat too much and there's no A/C in our apartment. It's not all that common in the PNW to have air conditioning, and we've had record-breaking temps for the past couple of months! My parents installed A/C in their house a few years ago and we're going down there this weekend, so that will be a treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun post! Love learning more about you. Your phrases from the 80's and 90's brought back so many memories! Happy Birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun post. I've never heard of this hop before. Your air conditioning cracks me up. Most people here in Wisconsin have air too, but I have no idea why. It's really not necessary. Very few days in the summer are over 90. We have a small window air conditioner that so far we only had to turn on twice this summer. I'd love to see your tassel necklace you picked up on Etsy. Chloe said she checked Etsy and the going rate for most of them were $50.00. I think I'll have to check Etsy out and see if there are some cheaper ones.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a fun post!! I have the opposite itis! I hate winter and count the days until summer starting in October every year(: I did not have AC as a kid and loved it - except in high school. My hair would go flat from the heat right after I put two cans of Aquanet on it(; I hope you link this post up with Jennie and I today! Blessings! Susan

    ReplyDelete