Friday, July 24, 2015

Five On Friday: Christmas In July

Okay. I hate to break it to you, Summer Babes, but I'm over summer.

I know, I know. But it happens about this time every. single. year.  A few weeks after July 4th, I get Fall-itis. Not quite boot-wearing-itis.  But pretty darn close.

I'm over the hot temps, the humidity, and the tank tops {And that goes for the graphic ones, too, that I've bought my fair share of this summer!}. Unfortunately, here in Louisiana, even slightly cooler temps are very far, far away in my future!{insert frown face}  August is worse than July here, actually.

So everyone's heard of Christmas in July, right?  July 25th marks the official countdown to Christmas and some stores even have Christmas in July sales {or even "anniversary sales" in Nordstrom's case}. If you're a Fall/Winter person like me, about this time every year, you begin to pray for some relief from the heat.  Dare I add, you start to think about your favorite SEC football team, hearty soups, and warm nights in front of a fire. 

I had really, really hoped to have a Christmas in July party this year.  I've been thinking about it since LAST July 25th, but Felicia, of course, totally disrupted those plans!  Yep!  I was going to pull out one of my Christmas trees {only one!} and send out cute invitations with Santa on the beach, and serve my famous Rudolph Punch, but those ideas got canned. There's always next year!

Today I wanted to "cool you off" with some Christmas ideas to get you thinking about the holiday season!



{one.} Hot chocolate station. From the pictures I've seen of friends building houses these days, it seems like the "in" thing is a coffee bar/nook in the kitchen area. Although we don't have a nook, I do have plenty of counter space in my kitchen to set aside for a hot chocolate station and it's one of the new traditions I want to begin this year. I bought Santa mugs two years ago that would be perfect!  Throw in some festive holiday napkins and your nearly there! For our Christmas parties, I can change out the items and make it an adult beverage bar. 

{two.} A Christmas Eve Box. My mother actually started this tradition with my brother and I when we were younger.  Now, growing up in the '80's, our box was normally pajamas for Christmas morning.  And as we got older, we knew what the present was, but we still looked forward to opening a gift on Christmas Eve.  Now for the littles, it's fun to add things like a new Christmas movie or book for bedtime, hot chocolate mix, and some other type of bed time snack. The possibilities and ideas are endless for your little ones.  I've incorporated this tradition with Alise and even at ten years old, she still loves it!

{three.} A mantle focal point. I love decorated mantles as much as I love Christmas trees. And depending on your space, the mantle can be the highlight of the room.  I'm of the mindset, "Go Big or Go Home," with Christmas decor, but the more simplistic and rustic looks are really big now, too! Whatever your style or taste, make your mantle festive!

{four.} Holiday Pillows. Probably the EASIEST way to decorate for Christmas is simply just buying some cute holiday pillows and incorporating them in your living areas and bedrooms.  I try to buy one or two new ones every year - because NO ONE can have too many throw pillows, right? My favorite places to buy pillows for the season are Hobby Lobby {ya gotta get 'em fast!} and Pier 1. I love Pier 1's pillows, but I normally try to catch them on sale because they can be quite expensive.  Or maybe I just have expensive tastes?  Yea, I think that's it. 

{five.} An elegant tablescape. Last December, I put together my first "official" Christmas tablescape. I wish I had taken a picture, but I didn't, so I'll be sure to do that this year!  My Christmas china pattern is Lenox Holiday, although I use a more casual pattern throughout the holiday {Yes, I change out my dishes for Christmas!}.  But I love to entertain and of course, our guests are worth fine china!  We also use them on Christmas Eve and Day.  I use gold chargers and red napkins.  But what I love about the picture in the collage is the addition of the Santa plates! Love that!  I believe Fitz and Floyd make similar plates, so I'll be on the look out this holiday season for them to add to my collection.



Thanks for stopping by my blog this HOT day in July!  I hope my "COOL" post inspired you to - at the very least - begin thinking about cooler temps, and "bright paper packages tied up with string"!

I'm linking up with these ladies today!
   

20 comments:

  1. Christmas in July - I like the title, but so far away from thinking about it! You did give some neat ideas though. When my girls were little we use to have a Christmas Eve box too. PJ's, what is it with those. Unique or what. They loved them and even now as adults, they want new PJ's. Go figure! I understand about the heat too. 90's high 90's in NC. Like. All. Summer! Over it and I remember how hot I would be last summer carrying that boot around. I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Michelle! It's been in the 99s and 100s here with heat indexes of 105. The high Sunday is 101 and we haven't even gotten to August yet! Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. Love you, love you, love you! Christmas is my all time favorite holiday! I swear decorations are pulled out on Halloween! Ha ha ha! Fall and winter is my favorite time for style as I'm one of those who likes to cover up in ponchos, scarves and oh my, boots!!! Love this post, and I hope your weekend is full of beautiful moments, fun and happiness pretty lady!

    livingoncloudandreanine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew we were friends for a reason, Andrea! So glad I found a new fall/winter friend and I can't wait to see how you style your boots!

      Delete
  3. I love this post. I felt the room temperature go down 10 degrees by just reading this. The Christrmas Eve box is wonderful. I may have to start that tradition. Happy Friday Laura and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan! Your littles will love opening a special box just for them!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE Fall, I love Christmas and I love this post!! Have a great weekend! We are off to Taylor Swift this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday, Sanday, and enjoy Taylor Swift with your daughter! You will definitley make some memories!

      Delete
  5. Yep, I'm ready for fall too! I blame it entirely on the Anniversary Sale. Before that, I was totally fine with summer! We're having a hot chocolate bar at our wedding! I know a few families who do Christmas pajamas the night before and I love it! One of them happens to be my fiance's family, so I'm sure we'll carry it on for our future kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no limit to the number of traditions you'll be able to share with you future husband and family. Wayne and I started out our very first Christmas making and decorating Christmas cookies. Now we do it as a family and even invite friends over to share in the fun!

      Delete
  6. OMG! Christmas will be so different this year in our new house and I'm not sure about the decor. Guess I'll see dive in and see what happens. Great suggestions though and I'm with you, I'm soooooo over summer!!!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fall is my favorite season, but I'm not ready to give up summer yet! Great post though :)! Lenox Christmas China is my favorite - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl as we are going into our 5th week straight of temps over 94 I am so over summer. I am ready for some cooler weather. I am not a fan of summer, and after a few weeks I am done !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to fall as well. I never respond well to extreme heat. I feel much better in Spring and Fall. Thanks for the Christmas in July ideas. My Mom also always did a Christmas Eve box. What a great tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! I agree that the Christmas Eve box is a great tradition to start. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

      Delete
  10. Love this! I wanted to grab out my Christmas dishes and do a little Christmas in July but we never got around to it - really can't wait for the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl!! You and I could pull off one MAJOR of a Christmas in July party!!

      Delete
  11. This is my first visit to your blog. I'm visiting from the Christmas in July party. I have to tell you, I clicked on your link, because it said "The Horton Family." Did you know the Hortons are a family on Days of Our Lives. Not only that, there is a Laura Horton. I just stopped watching Days about a month ago, after an on again/off again love affair of 30+ years. But Horton love is still deep in me, so I wanted to drop by and say hi.

    Anyhow, I understand what you mean about being over summer. I lived in Florida for 20 years. My husband and I joke that there are 2 seasons there---hot and hotter. I didn't even own a fall decoration until we moved to Idaho 15 years ago.

    I love the idea of a coffee/hot chocolate bar. Thanks for the suggestion. The back counter in my kitchen would be perfect for that.

    Your dishes are beautiful. I love that pattern. This year I am going to go with a blue theme at Christmas. A friend just GAVE me 2 sets of Fiestaware and some table linens. She used the blue at Christmas with blue, white, and silver snowflake placemats and goblets. I've always gone with the red/green/gold theme, but I'm open to trying something new this year.

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    Blessings,
    Patti @ Embracing Home

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember this post. And yes, we are still sitting in 90 degree heat and humidity. Now though we can sit in the AC and begin planning for Christmas before all the holiday blog posts come rushing in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are really some neat ideas. I do a hot chocolate bar for my teachers at each year. They love it!

    ReplyDelete