Tuesday, July 28, 2015

What's Up Wednesday: July

I'm joining Mel, Sheaffer, and Shay today for an episode of "What's Up Wednesday"! I can't believe that July is nearly over!  I feel like we were just watching the fireworks on the river a few days ago!


{What We're Eating This Week}
Cheap brownies. And ONLY Duncan Hines.  Are you a brownie snob, too? Before you dis me about being a cheap brownie snob, let me assure you that I DO have a from-scratch recipe, but sometimes it's just easier to pour a bag of powder in a bowl and just add water, oil, and eggs. 





Speaking of which...is there really a difference between "cake-like" and "fudge-like" brownies?  Which way do you usually make them? I always make "fudge-like" brownies.  Because if I wanted a chocolate cake, I would make a chocolate cake.

{What I'm Reminiscing About}
Just missing these two girls/BFFS/cousins being together!  They have had SO much these last two weeks!  It was hard to say good-bye this past weekend.



{What I'm Loving}
I'm LOVING the Pom Pom Clutches from Accessory Concierge that Cassie posted last week!  I love the colors, the poms, just everything about them really! Of course, I had to have the purple - my favorite color!

Hand Embroidered Pom Pom Clutch

I'm also loving these Pointy Toe Flats that everybody who is somebody posted on their Nordstrom Anniversary Sale posts! I really think Dr. D would approve of these {unlike my wedges} post-Felicia.  What do you think?  Unfortunately, for me, they are no longer available in my size, but I'm keeping my eyes on them.  I've also seen a similar pair at a local boutique earlier this summer.

{What We've Been Up To}
The Horton's have been on the road pretty much all of July!  We made three weekend trips to Meridian, Mississippi, to "kid switch" with our Alabama cousins. Katie spent a week with us and then Alise spent a week with her.  We also made a trip to Great Wilderness Lodge in Dallas, so we logged lots of miles both east and west this month! Alise has got us beat, though, on the mileage because she went to Nashville the week she stayed with Katie.  They went to TWO American Girl Doll stores in TWO different states within TWO weeks!

{What I'm Dreading}
I go back to the orthopedic physician this Friday and I'm not looking forward to it. Although I feel like my ankle/foot is getting better, I still don't think I'm out of the woods yet.  Fully expecting to be with Felicia another three weeks!  

I'm also dreading an MRI that Alise will have to have in the very near future. This is related to her migraines.

{What I'm Working On}
Absolutely nothing.

{What I'm Excited About}
I shared recently that I've received some of my late grandmother's dishes that have sentimental value to me.  Well, long story short, I ended up with my grandparents' chifforobe, too! I was ecstatic when my dad called and asked me if I wanted it! This piece of furniture is older than my dad and his brothers and I wish I had asked my grandmother more questions about it.  I just love it!



{What I'm Watching/Reading}
I have been in such a reading slump this summer! And that is so unlike me! And to think that I'm on crutches, you would think I'd be reading ALOT, but I haven't.  My favorite book this summer was by Elin Hildebrand, The Rumor.



I started a new book by Chevy Stevens on Monday called, Those Girls, and got more than a third of the way through it. If you like suspense/thriller books, this one is really, really good!

Alise and I have been watching "Gilmore Girls" - we finished the first season and I've been watching "Parenthood" by myself.  Love that show!

{What I'm Listening To}
My XM radio subscription for my car went out and Wayne refuses to pay the high price to renew it.  Oh, how I miss it because I could seriously jam to some 80s and 90s at a stop light!

{What I'm Wearing}
I'm wearing Felicia!!  Isn't she a beaut?!?



{What I'm Doing This Weekend}
This will be the first weekend that we won't be "on the road" and I'm looking forward to spending some time at home by the pool. Saturday evening, we have plans to celebrate Wayne's, my mom's, AND my dad's birthdays. They are all three weeks apart in July & August. 

{What I'm Looking Forward To Next Month}
School starts back on August 17th for us and I can't believe I'm about to have a fifth grader!  A FIFTH GRADER! This year will be bittersweet since it will be Alise's last year in elementary school. She's gone from being the tiniest PreK'er to the "oldest" on her hall and those years have gone by so darn fast! But I'm looking forward to seeing her in a cheerleading uniform and cheering at football games and pep rallies!

Wayne and I are going to New Orleans in August, too!  I have a seminar to go to and so we're going to make a nice get away out of it!

{What Else Is New}
Life is great right now.  We're just laying back and enjoying the long, hot days of summer!  

11 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of reading The Rumor. Can't decide which character I love more Madeline or Grace (shhh, don't tell me). I love all her books. Did you read her novel The Matchmaker? You are the second blogger today I've seen reading that book too. Gilmore Girls, my daughter and I use to watch it every week when it was on. Our favorite show back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Michelle, I've read The Matchmaker, too, and I loved it!

      Delete
  2. Y'all go back to school a week before us, so your summer is really winding up. I hope you have a great last few weeks before things get busy again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we start on a Monday this year, which is really weird because we always start on Wednesday. I just can't think about it right now! Eek!

      Delete
  3. I have to say, you're the cutest thing on crutches! :) I love that she has a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brittney!

      Delete
  4. I need to add The Rumor to my list, I have read two of her books so far this summer and have loved them both! Good luck at your appt. Friday. Sending prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely use the box brownies and definitely agree on "fudge like"...for the same reason! I am reading that book right now and LOVING it! That piece of furniture...swoon! This will be Carly's last year of elementary too...we only go through 4th here....but I'm ecstatic. I feel like I have been doing elementary school for half my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great that your received that wonderful antique! Those can be so useful and unique :) Love Gilmore Girls! Glad you and your daughter are getting to watch that together :)
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying Alise's MRI gives you much-needed answers to her migraines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously I laughed at "I am wearing Felicia." You know what at least you own it!! :) And I still believe boxed brownies are the best brownies!!

    ReplyDelete