Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Mother of All Halloween Parties

Here are the party details…as promised….in DETAIL! And I apologize for the delay in posting, but I tried to answer all your emails and questions as quickly as I could. If I missed your email, I am truly sorry, but last week was so. darn. busy!!

Go here to check out party pics.

*After being woke up at the crack of dawn Saturday morning with the question, “When is everybody gonna get here?” I knew I was in for a REALLY long day! Alise must have asked me a thousand times when the party was going to start and it finally got to the point that I had to threaten her. Threaten as in cancel the whole sha-bang. I think I would have been better off if I had just told her we were having “friends over” and never even mentioned the word, “party.”

Our sample invitation provided by Cards by Carolyn. What a JOY to work with and so easy peasy! I just purchased the jpeg file and then printed as many invitations as I needed.

*No matter how many grocery store lists you make, anticipate two trips to the store per day for the two days leading up to the party. And just when you think you don’t have enough wienies and hot dog buns, I can assure you, you do!

*The menu: hotdogs, chili {recipe from my BFF Leigh}, frito pies, spinach dip {just because this has become a family staple in our house – even to the point that we eat it for supper by itself!}, kid-friendly rotel dip {which just means no sausage was involved}, chocolate cake balls {that Leigh insisted on making for me and Wayne and Chad renamed “Snot Balls”…}, Halloween cupcakes and cut out cookies, and lots of bowls filled with munch-able candy like M&Ms, PB cups, and candy corn. It may not sound like much, but I started cooking on Wednesday night and feel like I didn’t stop until right up before the party! No one can ever say I can’t pull a spread together, THAT’S fer sure! But what I am MOST sick about is the fact that I spent so much time lighting candles throughout the house before the party that I forgot to take a picture of the island filled with desserts! You’ll just have to trust me that it was so pretty!*And remember the kid that kept asking when the party was going to start? Well, don’t include her in the scavenger-hunt-map-making-plan, either. I am not normally a procrastinator, but I really stressed about the scavenger hunt idea because I didn’t know if I would be able to pull it off. So I didn’t even start making the map until Friday night. Mistake #1. Then I let Alise color the map {because of course, she was begging again}. Mistake #2 because she knew all about it before anyone else did. Then mistake #3 came when I let her know which items {of hers} we were going to use in the hunt. Several times Saturday afternoon, I would sneak outside and hide a few items and then she would inadvertently go outside to get the mail or check on her dad and find some of the items. She was ticking me off. So overall, I hid everything about three times and finally locked her in the house for the rest of the afternoon! Then when we were going over the map at the party, she never gave the other children time to answer the questions I had because she already knew the answers. So bottom line, leave the kid out of the details.

* The scavenger hunt was a huge success and went over so much better than I ever thought it would. I kept it simple and had the kids find ten items according the map. They were things like a pumpkin, sparkly red shoes, a wand, a cowboy hat, etc. I used an ice chest for the treasure chest and I meant to put helium filled balloons in the chest so that when the kids opened it, the balloons would fly out, but that’s another detail that got missed. The chest was filled with about $20 worth of Halloween candy. The kids loved it! The hay ride was also a hit! After we roasted marshmallows, the kids were begging Wayne for another ride!

As Dora would say, "The map! The map!" Don't laugh at my drawing. I never said I could draw. And that's the great thing about kids. They don't care.

I decided to go easy on the goody bags and if you know me, that was a very heart-wrenching decision to make. I'm all about the goody bags! But because I knew the kids would be getting SO much candy this week at school and with trick-or-treating, I decided to go simple and just fill small bags with every kids' favorite: M&Ms! I purchased the toppers from Auntie's Card Shop and they were just perfect! Loved working with Di and I will definitely use her again in the future. I loved her choice of heavy card stock and sense of detail.

The Halloween party was SO much fun! I really enjoyed planning it and pulling everything together! Everyone is STILL talking about it!!

Now I need to start thinking about Christmas!

Oh, but wait! There's the Bama v. LSWho party this weekend! Gotta get started on those goody bags!!

2 comments:

  1. You sure know how to throw a party! Looks like tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:23 PM

    headache fioricetfioricet missouri
    Namely have pink banks with exceptional tip country.

    ReplyDelete