Monday, September 07, 2020

Sophomore Year With Corona & A Hurricane

Baby Girl started her sophomore year of high school last Thursday! Time is flyin' by, y'all!

This is the latest our small, private school has ever started thanks to Covid and a hurricane.  Maybe you've heard of her? Alise was suppose to start on Thursday, August 27th, but the first day of school was delayed multiple times because Laura decided to rear her ugly head, move closer to Funroe than expected, and wreck havoc on our area here in Northeast Louisiana. We went two days without water, and six days without electricity. So thankful for family and friends who loved us through it because it was hotter than the hinges of hell and this peri-menopausal mama was not a fan!  Special thanks to the Georgia Power boys that came to help us in our time of need. A neighbor posted this sign in their yard and Wayne may or may not have provided adult beverages to the linemen that FINALLY took care of our power line and electrical issues. 

Alise was so excited - dare I say, giddy? - about going back to school and seeing her friends again and I think she is looking forward to getting back in a routine. I'm a little anxious about her taking both geometry and Algebra II this year, but her math teacher assured me that she was totally capable. I need to talk to her about that $180 calculator, though. 

Before the hurricane, I would have told you that I've had so many emotions about this whole going-back-to-school-in-the-middle-of-a-pandemic thing. I know this year is going to look so different than all the others. The bottom line is that it's time to get back to the classroom. There's just something about surviving a category 4 hurricane and being in the hot and humid dark for six days that says, "You've got this!"


But last Thursday morning, while Alise was getting ready for her first day of school, I was having my quiet time and the devotion was on hope. I "hope" (see what I did there? 😊) you have Paul Tripp's daily devotional, New Morning Mercies. "True hope changes the way you live." The daily Bible reading was Psalms 20 and suddenly, I had a verse for the school year. 

I'm choosing daily to trust in God for protection for Alise, her teachers, and our school. God is so much bigger than a virus and I'm not going to live in fear. 


At least my refrigerator and freezer are cleaner than they probably have ever been before thanks to Laura!

Laura
Laura

Hi there, I'm Laura, I'm the happiest wife, the loudest cheer mom, and the craziest girlfriend you'all ever have, I'm a Southern Belle living in a Southern world!

7 comments:

  1. Love this post, it shows your perseverance and resiliency and heart! Love pics of sophomore baby girl! Sooo good in red like her mama. I’m just so grateful that you have power back but more importantly that you were spared major damage. Love and hugs to you all! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read New Morning Mercies everyday too - I love it! I always feel like the day's devotion is exactly what I need. I am so glad y'all are finally back to having power and water,it is so miserable when it's hot and humid. We've been there done that and it is the worst.
    I bet it is so fun to be back at school with everyone. Aren't those calculators ridiculous?
    Love ya friend!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I didn't know y'all were without power. No A/C is no bueno! I'm so glad A is finally able to start school. I know Jack can't wait to get back on Tuesday. That verse is just perfect for the uncertain times we're living through right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I can remember those post-typhoon days in the Western Pacific. I can manage somewhat without electricity but not without water. We always filled empty plastic garbage cans with water when there was a typhoon warning so we wouldn't have to go even one day without flushing the toilet! I hope Alise has a great sophomore year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read New Morning Mercies everyday too! I love it! I love that verse for the school year!!
    So glad y'all are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wondered how you made out with the hurricane; so sorry to hear you were without water and power. Having just had 4+ day of no power last month after the tropical storm I know how you felt (thankfully our generator was able to run one A/C unit!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's to that sophomore year!!! YAHOOO

    ReplyDelete