I'll admit that August is probably at the bottom of my favorite months list. As in, the very bottom and especially this year! But I have to say, even through this time of Covid and Hurricane Laura, and despite the long six days with no electricity, the month went by pretty fast for me and for that, I'm grateful. We're one day closer to Fall, y'all!
I know the title, "August Favorites" is a little cliche', but in the absence of coming up with a better title, it is what it is. I'm planning to begin sharing my monthly favorites here on the blog. They will be a mix of anything from beauty, books, food, to happy moments with my family and friends. I hope you enjoy them. And if you have suggestions for YOUR favorites that you would like me to try, drop me an email or leave me a comment below. I'm always looking to try new things!
So without further adieu, here we go!
Podcasts// I hope this doesn't sound morbid, but two podcasts that I really, really enjoyed last month were The Killing of Jon Benet and The Killing of Marilyn Monroe. These are documentary podcasts despite their awful titles. In regards to the Jon Benet podcast, I couldn't get over the fact that this little girl was killed over twenty years ago. Despite the media's play that the parents were responsible for her death, apparently one of the now deceased detectives created a list of 10 suspects and that's what this podcast is about: delving into the possibility of one of these suspects being the killer. As for Marilyn Monroe, well, it's a documentary about Marilyn Monroe and the conspiracy theories about her death. Dare I say that I now may be reconsidering my own thoughts about JFK's assassination. I'm always looking for new podcasts, so if you know of any I should be listening to on my daily walks, please leave me a comment below.
Books// I absolutely LOVED Elin Hildebrand's book, Summer of '69. I know, I'm a year late to the party, but I truly think it's my favorite Hildebrand novel. Like, ever. I loved each and every character, the family dynamics, as well as the historical aspects of the book, too (although I would not categorize this book as historical fiction). Speaking of books, Alise had to read, Lord of the Flies, over the summer for her English class. I actually read it my senior year for AP English. I thought that was kinda neat.
Mobile Groomer// August was actually the second month that we used a mobile groomer for Jack and I have to say that we love it! I was a little worried at first at how he would be treated, but our new groomer is so sweet to him and spending the extra money is totally worth the convenience for us. Our baby is getting one-on-one attention and he's so happy!
Skin Care// I shared last month that I began using a chemical exfoliating peel from The Ordinary. This month, I incorporated the Buffet into my skin care regimen and even though I've only been using this product for about three weeks, I can already tell a difference in my fine lines. I am loving this brand of skin care! Definitely a favorite! My face feels amazing!
Fun Napkins// I don't know about you, but I needed something to celebrate in August and Shark Week in summer is always a highlight to do something fun. Although, I will admit, we did not watch a single episode. Ha! I picked up these cute napkins to go with our shrimp tacos that week.
Social Break// After taking a much needed three week break from social media in August, I found a fun, new Instagramer named Melissa. She wrote a fantastic blog post titled, How I'm Dealing with 2020, and as I read her post, I was mentally saying, yes, yes, YES! to so many of her coping strategies! Check it out!
Jewelry// I've bought several new pieces of jewelry this month, including these gunmetal earrings from Nickel and Suede, which were their earrings of the month for August. If you missed my Fall jewelry trends post, you can check it out here.
New Recipe// Wayne and Alise have been on a bagel kick for the last month, so I decided to try a new recipe using them. These breakfast bagels were a hit - Wayne had to have his without egg, of course! My only suggestion would be to eat them when they come out of the oven and not warm them up later like I did because the bagel gets hard and tough. I'll just blame it on intermittent fasting, WHICH I am still loving, btw.
I hope you enjoyed this post! I always love reading other bloggers' favorites to get new ideas and try new things. Wishing you a wonderful week! Thanks for stopping by!


LOVED your favs sister. Yes, we love our cute napkins. I’m glad this month went fast. Our mobile groomer was the best. Want her back if we ever get a new edition, lol. I hope your week goes smoothly and for Wayne and Alise too! xoxo
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Love the bagels. There's not much I miss about Virginia but if I had to make a list, our after-church breakfast spot, the Bageldashery, would be number one.
ReplyDeleteElla is on a bagel kick! I need to try that recipe!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the favorites and tips. I'll be adding those podcasts to my list. So hard to believe JonBenet was 20 years ago, along with 9/11 and all those other things that happened around that time. I still want to try The Ordinary, but haven't ordered yet. Have a good week. And I totally agree about August. The only positive thing about it is back to school, and that didn't really happen in a normal way this year. :)
ReplyDeleteI've listened to all those podcasts & love them too. did you hear the one about Nathalie Woods? That's a good one too
ReplyDeleteYES!! I loved the Natalie Wood podcast! So good!
DeleteI really enjoyed summer of '69 too though I know so many really did not but I liked thinking about the space shuttle launch and the family dynamics. I thought it was great.
ReplyDeleteI am always looking for a captivating podcast! You got me hooked on them my friend. I need to get those skin care products from the Ordinary!
ReplyDeletexo,
Kellyann
Love reading your favs. I looked at the EH book for the beach, but ended up going with Winter in Paradise. Now I need the other two in the series. So happy you're back on social media. I missed you!!! XOXO
ReplyDelete