Y'all!
As a Southern Diva and Louisiana girl at heart, I'm ashamed to admit this little secret. I mean, seriously. I feel like I have been living under a rock all my life. I've completely disappointed all my Southern Sisters. Please forgive me, but I've never had Doberge Cake. Gasp! 😱 I know, right?
My fascination with Doberge Cake came recently while I was reading Lisa Wingate's novel, The Book of Lost Friends. Other than bookworms claiming how wonderful this book is (as of this writing, I have yet to finish it), I knew nothing about it. So imagine my surprise when I discovered that the setting takes place in Augustine, Louisiana. Then I read that one of the characters had "brought a Doberge Cake" and my curiosity was peaked.
Doberge Cake? What the heck is that? I literally had to put the book down and turn to my trusty friend, Google, for help. Pronounced "dough-bosh" in North Louisiana and "dough-bear" in South Louisiana, Doberge Cake is a multi-layered cake with a custard or pudding between the layers and topped with icing glaze or frosting. Sound delicious? Yes, indeed!

So then I got to thinking...have I ever had a piece of this decadent dessert? Surely I have, right? I mean, I AM from Louisiana! I found this three minute clip about a baker in Baton Rouge that is keeping Ms. Beulah Ledner's, the originator of the Doberge Cake, sweetness alive.

I have never heard of a doberge cake either. It looks delicious! I'm about to start Book of Lost Names on audio. Hope you have a great week!
ReplyDeleteI hope the audio is good and that you enjoy it better than I did.
DeleteI have never heard of that type of cake but it sure does sound delicious! I often stop what I'm reading to look up terms (mostly food or fashion) too.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of it before. But I love me some cake so I would love to try it
ReplyDeleteMy mouth is watering, I have never heard of Doberge cake but it sounds so darn good!
ReplyDeletexo,
Kellyann
It's funny that you are blogging about this because it's my FAVORITE cake! I keep at least one slice in my freezer at all times. Sometimes, half of a cake. LOL I get some at a local bakery inside of an upscale grocery near our house. If you are ever passing through Baton Rouge, let me know and I will hook you up!
ReplyDeleteYou just made my day!! I MUST have a piece!!
DeleteNow I know sister, when you talked about this on Marco Polo, I had no idea what it was either! Gosh I wish I could share a piece heck no, I wish I could share the entire cake with you! I hope it’s a good week and I hope your hurricane is mild! You do not need this girlfriend!
ReplyDeleteThe best! We get one every year for my dad's birthday and one for mine. You must have Debbie Does Doberge next time you are here in New Orleans. They operate out of Bakery Bar, literally a dessert and drinks bar! I had a churro flavored doberge for my 40th last year and I am still dreaming of it!
ReplyDeleteSounds fabulous! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I can't wait to try a piece!
DeleteI have had it a couple of times but it is just not a favorite of mine but I think I'm "odd man out" on that. I'm more of a pie gal, if given the choice between cake or pie, I'll always choose pie. Hope you are doing well.
ReplyDelete