Tuesday, August 16, 2016

School Day Memories

Today I'm linking up with Shelly and "spieling the beans" about my school day memories and what I would tell my younger self. Now, I have to say, if you came over to see old school pics, then you're outta luck because all my old school stuff is at my mom's and well, there just wasn't time in my world today to go pah-roosing through old photographs. What can I say?  I saved you some laughs, because Lord knows they were pretty awful! So here we go!


1. I almost got paddled in kindergarten. Yep! I can't remember what I did, but I remember Mrs. M (who taught me, my brother, AND Alise!) jerking my hiny outta that chair and reaching for that wooden paddle on her desk! Like I said, I can't remember what I did, but I CAN remember what I wore that day!  Ha!  It was a white and orange gingham sundress. Mrs. M didn't paddle me, but she gave me a good "talking to." And four years later when she had my brother, he DID get a paddling! Mrs. M still doesn't play!

2. In first grade, I wrote my first love note on pink construction paper. I was in love with Willie!

3. I made my first C in third grade.  In CONDUCT, y'all! My mother was LIVID!  All the neighborhood kids were in my class that year and all we did was talk.  Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk. I got my butt tore up at home for that one! I think the whole neighborhood got punished that six weeks! I also broke my arm that year. I fell at the skating rink.

{I just realized these memories make me look like I was a "problem kid," but I really wasn't. I was just a very "social," straight A student!}

4. I was late for school on the first day of fifth grade because I had to go to the orthodontist to have impressions for my retainer and later that year, braces. I was so embarrased to be walking into class late. This was also the grade I started wearing a bra. 

5. I did not realize until just a few years ago that my mother went to bat for me in the seventh grade. It was the year of "busing" kids to school and my new junior high (what we refer to these days as "middle school") was not in the best part of town and I would be attending school with kids that did not have the same family life that I did. Apparently, my mother scheduled a meeting with the principal - who is now Alise's headmaster - to make sure that there "wouldn't be any problems." {Wow! This is even making me look worse!} If you know my mother, that was really so out of character for her, so when she told me about it, I was shocked! Yet I felt so loved when she told me.

6. I was in the junior high office when the Space Challenger blew up {It just keeps getting worse!}, but it wasn't because I was in trouble.  I was simply taking a note from my teacher to the secretary. Our old school didn't have an intercom system.

7. I wore glasses, had braces, and the permed hair. But I don't have to tell y'all about the hair. I had an eating disorder in high school and because of it, I experienced some acne problems, but I never saw a doctor for either. 

8. My only regret in high school is that I didn't push myself to do all the things that I really wanted to do. I should have run for student council, I should have went out for homecoming queen, I should have applied for scholarships, but I was so worried about failure. Having said all that, I was voted "Most Likely To Succeed" my senior year. Still brings a smile to my face.

9. My best friend and I used my birth certificate to get her a fake id so we could go bar hopping. Not my finest moment. Ahem.

10. I almost didn't go to my senior prom. I didn't decide to go with the guy until the week before and mom and I were running through the mall trying to find a dress! We found one, but it was strapless and there was no way in hell my parents were going to let me out of the house on prom night in a strapless dress! Mom and I compromised with her sewing straps into my dress. Here's a picture of Alise playing dress up in it!


What would I tell my younger self? My high school years were some of the best years of my life! Even more so than college.  I kept a diary during those years and wrote in it nearly every day. I should probably go back and read them. I just remember everything seemed so BIG at the time, ya know? Everything mattered and it was major, like if something didn't happen or turn out the way I wanted, I would, "just die." So I would have to say, don't sweat the small stuff! Take risks. Enjoy life!

Linking up this week with Queen In Between, Tuesday Talk, Grammie Time, House of Malones, Momfessionals, A Liz Adventures.

19 comments:

  1. Mrs. M doesn't play around! I love that you can remember what you wore that day. Also, I write in a journal almost every day in High School as well and I love looking back on it now. I am so glad I did that. Some of the things I wrote make me laugh and then some of them make me want to cry. I loved reading all of your memories! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No,Jenna, Mrs. M does not give up and she'll be teaching kindergarten again this year! I should ask her how many years she's been teaching. Maybe I'll do that the next time I see her in the hall. Besides the paddling incident, she is a very good teacher!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I just love this! So far both you and Shelly have exact accounts of each grade, I got nothing. Or maybe it's because I prefer to forget the embarassing moments and just pretend they didn't happen. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, there were plenty of moments that I would like to forget about too and that's why I didn't choose to write about them! LOL!

      Delete
  3. ohhhh yeahhh - that prom dress was the style in my year too. All the sequins.
    When the Challenger exploded? We were actually WATCHING IT LIVE in our science class. that was the year the teacher made the flight. Our science teacher had made it to the final 20 to be on that flight so she made a big deal about it going up... & then we sat there dumbfounded. I'll never forget that as long as I live. Our teacher just bawled. That could have been her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is so amazing about your teacher! I can't begin to imagine the emotions she was going through that day! Still gives me chills.

      Delete
  4. A C in Conduct, shameful, lol. I didn't go to my Jr Prom because I couldn't decide between 2 guys and didn't want to break either of their hearts, lol. I LOVE this so much, oh lady we would've had some good school times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! A C, girl!! What was I thinking? Obviously I was talking too much to care. Oh, I cared tho once my mama and daddy got a hold of me at home!

      Delete
  5. Love these memories - and that dress! Thanks for linking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, remember when there was a paddle in every classroom? Loved reading this and thinking back on school life in the 70s and 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the days, Tanya! I remember a rumor going around school that our principal had an "electric paddle." LOL!

      Delete
  7. Your prom dress is adorable! I love that your mom added straps to it! I totally agree; high school was a blast! My oldest daughter tends to hold back, I have to remind her all the time to just live it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tell your daughter to enjoy her high school years! They're the best!

      Delete
  8. Oh, my goodness, I made one C in conduct too and got a spanking I never will forget and that was 57 years ago. Have mercy! Your post has caused me to think of all kinds of memories from my school years. Cute post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?? Lea, you got a C in conduct, too?! I'm shocked! LOL!

      Delete
  9. I was in 10th grade and will never forget about the challenger explosion. I also remember in 5th grade they rolled tv's into our classes when the attempt on Pres Reagan was made. Definitlely....don't sweat the small stuff! I seriously needed that piece of advice when I was young. Thanks for sharing and linking with us at Spiel the Beans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. By number 6 I was laughing out loud... it's funny how a small selection of words and events can make you sound like a trouble maker. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL THank you! I really was a great kid, though! My mama tells me all the time!! Have a great week!

      Delete