Wednesday, August 17, 2016

General's TSO Chicken Recipe


Alise called me at lunch time on Monday complaining that there was nothing in the house to eat. Granted, I had just been to the grocery store on Saturday, so I knew better. I think she ended up eating a bowl of cereal, so I know the kid didn't starve, but still.  The phone call had me thinking that I really needed to get back to menu planning. Especially with school starting this week. I'll add that to my to do list.

Having S in our family forces me to make a full-blown meal once a week {twice a week during the summer when we had "family nights" on Tuesdays}. She is always hungry, always sending me recipes to try, always willing to eat anything, always inviting her team mates over, and always running away with my tupperware for her leftovers! I mean, I don't want it to sound like I don't cook - because I do! - maybe just not every single night.

Having said all that, this past Sunday night, S and her team mate W were craving Chinese and I had the perfect two recipes to make! I made fried rice and General's TSO Chicken and the girls loved it! Both recipes are family favorites from Pinterest and you can find the fried rice recipe by clicking HERE.

As for the TSO Chicken, the website is no longer available, but my friend Leigh came to the rescue because she actually had the recipe in her phone and was able to send it to me. So for future reference for myself, I'm posting the recipe here. This meal can actually be made on the cooktop instead of the crockpot, which is how I normally prepare it.

General's TSO Chicken

1 pkg of chicken tenders
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup onion (or 2 Tbs dried onion flakes)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground ginger
3 Tbs cornstarch

Cube the chicken into 1-inch pieces and place in a large Ziplock bag with the cornstarch. Shake the bag to coat the chicken with cornstarch. Add the remaining ingredients to the crockpor and whisk until combined. Then in a non-stick pan add 3 Tbs of olive oil and preheat to a Med-Hi setting. Arrange the chicken in the pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side. It's okay if the chicken does not brown, it will cook the rest of the way in the crockpot. Add the chicken to the crockpot stirring the ingredients and turn the heat to low for 3 hours.  Serve with brown rice and vegetables.

Note: If you're not able to use the crockpot, this can also be done in the pan.  Wipe out the leftover oil from the pan and add all ingredients to it covering with a lid. Turn the heat to Low-Med and cook for 30-45 mins or until the chicken is cooked through.

Enjoy!

I'm linking this recipe to Johannah's blog for her recipe link up.

13 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious I will definitely have to try it!! Thanks for linking up today!! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this crock pot gem of a recipe makes me sooooo TSO happy, lol. Hope the morning went great mama!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I survived, Girl! That's about all I can say right now! Whew!

      Delete
  3. Sounds good! I can't wait to try it!
    I have to agree, nothing frustrates me more than when I've spent $250 at the grocery store and Kendall asks if we can order pizza because "there's no food here!" Ugh!! Fall meal planning is a little more fun than summer though! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO ready for Fall!!

      Delete
  4. My hubby LOVES this - its his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad we're not the only ones, Rebecca Jo!

      Delete
  5. I've been craving this since I sent it to you!! One of my favs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what THAT means!!

      Delete
  6. My hubby and son love General's Tso chicken. I will have to make this for them!!
    Thank you for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they like it as much as we do, Heather.

      Delete
  7. YUM! My husband is always asking for Chinese for dinner -this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think D would really like this, Christina!

      Delete