Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Words for Wednesday: Hosea Week 2

I'm not going to lie.  I struggled this week with keeping up with my daily quiet time and Bible reading because of my fall last week.  I wanted to give up or at least take a week off, I told myself. But I am so glad that I didn't!

This week's lesson hit home pretty hard.  If God was ever trying to get my attention, He pretty much hit it out of the park with me not being able to walk so that I could simply be still. I'll just be honest and say that of course, being on crutches is no fun and it has taught me to look at others' disabilities with new eyes (I have a co-worker who is crippled and uses a cane). I've shared many tears this week and lived with the disappointments of not getting to do all the things I'm use to doing.  Something as simple as picking my own underwear up off the bathroom floor! I still struggle with going to the bathroom and the fact that I have leftovers in my fridge that are a week and a half old is about to kill me! I can't believe I'm even about to say this, but I'm missing my morning walks with 100% humidity!! 

The most important thing I learned: This week I learned what an 'identity' and an 'iddiction' (not a typo) is and the difference between the two. I can't describe it any better than Jennifer Rothschild did, so I will just quote her:

"An Iddict is someone who is addicted to herself - her wants, her wisdom, her whims, her way. And if you are an Iddict, it is because you are trying to find your identity in yourself - Iddiction. When we go to food or shopping to satisfy our esteem needs, when we find our sense of self in our career, appearance, or the impression we make on others, when our kids' behavior, our homes, or our successes make us feel like somebody, it's because we haven't identified fully with our identity in God and, therefore, we act of our Iddictions rather than our identity." - Hosea by Jennifer Rothschild, page 44.

According to the study, my 'identity' is found in Christ: I am loved and chosen. Once I grasp this concept and begin to apply it (again) to my life, all the other "stuff" doesn't matter. Does that make sense? I know that my job, my family, and everything I have comes from God.  And I believe that, but my problem is that I don't always live my life like what I know and believe, which is the continual struggle among the Christian faith.  Our desire is there, but I believe - in my own struggle, at least - our actions don't always align with those desires.

7 comments:

  1. I really love this and it is for sure something I need to work on. I do believe it, but as you said, I don't always live my life like it, or I should say I rarely live my life like it. I have a strong desire to change that though, but I haven't made it a priority yet. I might need to check out the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard, Sandy, keeping our priorities focused on the God things. I struggle with it, too. Ya know, I felt God's calling before I had my accident and so I began this Bible Study. And then I fell, and I just feel so helpless. Sometimes I wonder if the fall wasn't God's way of getting my attention. So I'm curious to see what he's going to show me this summer with all this "drama."

      Delete
  2. Laura, we all struggle with this (admittedly or not). It is part of being a member of this broken world we live in, a world that places greater importance on "things", "status", "accomplishments". We have had a rough week as a family, our oldest was in a horrific car accident on Saturday evening. But, by the grace of God she walked away with only minor injuries. The trials we have faced this year have truly helped our family put things into perspective. The things of this world are NOT what matters. The most important thing is our relationship with Him, the assurance that when we leave this earthly place we will be with Him in Heaven, no longer suffering, no longer broken. And I will say, many have been "watching" how we have reacted to these situations...it is easy to say we are Christians, have faith in God, but is how we are living our lives displaying that fact? Continue to pray for you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Lauren! I hate that I'm just now reading your comment about the accident! I am so sorry, but praise God that she was able to walk away. That's awesome! That's our God, isn't it? I just told another reader that I feel like God is really trying to teach me something this summer with my accident and feeling so helpless. Do I need to slow down? What area of my life have I not given over to Him? Just lots of "searching" questions right now! I know your heart, Sweet Friend, and I pray that you continue to be a shining light for your friends and others that have witnessed the miracle you guys experienced nearly a week ago! Sending hugs and prayer your way!!

      Delete
  3. Love that passage you quoted. Those are some powerful words. I often have to remind myself "It's not all about me." That is our human nature - to be "iddicted" to ourselves and things that make us feel good about ourselves. Thanks for sharing this today. Are you doing the study by yourself or with a group?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, girl, those words really struck home with me! I was kinda in awe for a few seconds and then I felt so convicted. I am doing the study myself. I have the book and I download the videos. I think the book was like $13 and videos are like $5. It's one video per week and it's only a six week Bible Study. You might be interested about going to her website or following her on FB. Have a great weekend, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great thing to share. I know I struggle with this one....I know these things but always seem to fall back into the same patterns.

    ReplyDelete