Monday, June 29, 2015

Miscellaneous Monday

I will just go ahead and apologize for this lengthy post, but I have lots of things to share today.

I have gotten SO many compliments on the yellow lace dress I bought earlier this season.  I even wore it to work last week with a small, but noticeable stain on the front of it. Of course, I didn't realize it until I got to work, so there wasn't much I could do about it until I got home and it washed up well. The GOOD news is that the dress is now on sale for...wait for it....wait for it....less than $30!!  You can check it out HERE! I just love the Chelsea and Violet brand!  And Dillard's is having QUITE the sale with additional sale prices on already reduced items! Be sure to check them out!



Because of my accident, Baby Girl has become quite the chef around our house this summer!  And she's loving it! I mentioned earlier that we enjoy watching all the cooking shows that come on prime time during the summer months and getting to do a little hands-on at camp a few weeks ago, have really fueled her interests!  So far, she's made her camp version of sausage bread (for Wayne on Father's Day!), tacos (with only a little help with draining the grease), and blueberry muffins!  So, so proud of her!  And she makes an excellent nurse, too!  I was telling Wayne just this morning that I've only heard her huff and puff once or twice when I've asked her to do something for me. Other than that, she's been great!

My aunt and uncle are in the process of going through my late grandmother's things and there were some dishes that I specifically asked to have if they came across them.  My mom delivered "the goods" the week that I fell and I just haven't had time to post about them. My grandmother's dishes never matched {and now that I think about it, may be where I get the fact that I mixmatch my Fiestaware to this day!}, but there were certain dishes that I remember specific food always went in when we went to visit and now, having those dishes in my possession bring back fond memories of my grandma. Not pictured is the porcelain sugar that always sat on my grandma's table.  I remember my grandpa scooping sugar out of it in the mornings for his coffee.  He always slurped his coffee from the saucer.  Memories.




My aunt surprised me by also including in my stash two plates that I always loved. I specifically remember eating off one of these plates one year at Thanksgiving when I was about eight or nine.  I remember thinking back then that those plates were so special because they were "different." And then I had a crazy thought!  Why not use the plates in my 4th of July tablescape?!  After all, they do have an air of  "Independence" to them!




We had Alise's softball team over Saturday night for the end-of-the-year party and it was a huge success! You can't go wrong with pizza and cupcakes.  But I have to say, the "adult appetizers" and "adult dessert" was an even BIGGER success! 


I have seen this dip recipe all over Pinterest and decided to try it Saturday night for the party and let me just say that it totally lives up to all the hype!!  A dip with a kick! It is delicious!!  Next time I make it - which will be VERY soon - I will double the recipe!  I can't tell you how much you really, really need to make this dip!  It would be perfect for that 4th of July pool party!  I also made the fruit dip I posted about on Friday, but I decided to plate it similar to another picture on Pinterest.  Wayne made Oreo ice cream for all the parents and the party ended on a high note.  A sugar high note.  Ha!




Here's a picture of Alise and her good friend, AG.  AG's mom reads my blog and reminded me to put the Corn Dip on the blog {Hey, Jennifer!!  Scroll up for the link to the recipe!  I didn't forget about you!}! The cupcakes made in the shape of a softball were a hit for the girls!

On Saturday, my tassel necklace from Purple Peridot came in and I'm in love!  So, so cute and I can't wait to wear it the rest of the summer! Be sure to check out their website for some cute, in-style jewelry options!  My next purchase will be the tassel bracelet!



On Sunday, Alise and I went to church with my parents because I wanted to hear their new pastor.  Sometimes it's just rewarding to hear another preacher every now and then, I think, and I enjoyed going to church with my parents because I haven't done so in years! The Supreme Court decision this past week had left me feeling so defeated as a Christian and I just really longed to hear fresh words of God's truth. And the truth is, we are not defeated; God is still in control.  The decision came as no surprise to Him.  Yes, He is grieved, but we as Christians have got to press on and show the world the love of Christ, which is a love like no other.  

Late yesterday evening, I FINALLY got my trip to Target!  We got rained out last week and Wayne was kind enough to take Baby Girl and I again. I ran into a co-worker who laughed with me about having to drive the "grandma mobile (cart)" again, but it was all in fun!  One trip to Target and we walked out with some moisturizer for me, a pair of overall shorts for Alise to start school in, and a basket FULL of candy!!  It was ridiculous, really. I was hoping to get in some cheap retail therapy, but I didn't find anything.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday!  How are your July 4th plans coming?  I'm beginning my menu planning! Eek!  I love Independence Day!!

10 comments:

  1. I want to come to one of your parties!! Adult dip and dessert, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Com'on on down to Louisiana, Sandra! The more the merrier!

      Delete
  2. I love love love your grandmother's dishes and bowls!! What treasures!! That necklace is soooo cute! And it came in so fast. Have a great Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would love the dishes as much as I do, Leigh. Remind me to show you the sugar and creamer next time you're over!

      Delete
  3. This was so enjoyable to read this morning. I know that pattern on the plate from your grandmother. It is a beautiful piece of china. I can't believe all you are doing in a boot. I sat around in dust and piles of furniture feeling sorry for myself when my foot was broken. You are an inspiration! And the yellow dress - you rock in it. I love yellow but it is not a great color on me. Everyone should own something yellow because it screams sunshine and happiness. Trying to pull my plans together for the fourth. Seems like we just finished Memorial Day plans. Have a great day Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michelle, for the encouragement. Living in a boot {with Felicia} has NOT been easy, but I do feel that my ankle/foot is healing and that's promising. There are days when I feel like I'll never be able to walk without crutches again, but I'm trying to stay positive.

      Delete
  4. Wow, you have a lot of great things going on. Love this dress and the dishes are so fun! I love how you have the memories from them too, that is so special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a busy, exciting week! Where do I begin? First off, LOVE the dress, and that is a great price! The dishes are gorgeous…lucky you. I love vintage dishes. Great 4th of July table decoration. Your so fortunate to have a child who wants the cook and the burden doesn't always fall on you. I would love that! I agree with you on the Supreme Court decision. Sad day for America, but yes, God is still in control and I think revival is going to break out because of it. I said to my husband 'I think they woke a sleeping giant!' So I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to happen in America churches now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm tired after reading about all your busyness and you are suppose to be "crippled." Sounds like nothing stops you girl! So sweet that your girl is such a help to you at this time. Oh, and I so hope that there may be some items that my Grans will want when my time on earth is up. That's very special! Love the tassel necklace, have never seen one before. And, the yellow dress, thinking it was made for you. I do love the big Dillard's sale but just haven't had the time to go, too many other irons in the fire. Have a happy week Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Target trip---whoop whoop! OK, I am loving your g-ma's dishes---those bowls are fantastic and the plates go perfectly with your 4th décor. I never decorate for the 4th because I am always out of town but now I'm kind of bummed so I think I will put it in my rotation for next year. The cupcakes are adorbs!!! And it looks like the party was a hit---I am in love with that fruit dip---like seriously could eat it with just a spoon :)

    ReplyDelete