Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Weight Rant

About fifteen years ago, I use to go to Weight Watcher meetings.  Not because I was that terribly over weight, but because I had about eighteen pounds I wanted to lose.  That was when the "point system" first came out and a friend from work and I decided to do the program together.  It took a while, but I reached my goal and became a "lifetime member" of WW.  Five years later, when I got pregnant with Alise, I was about six pounds over my original WW goal and now, at 42, the goal I try to maintain is my pre-pregancy weight.  And let's face it!  The older you get, the harder it is to keep it off {If you were reading my blog last summer, you probably remember the pain and anquish I went through with realizing my metabolism was slowing down.  To a turtle's pace!}! 

I don't know what it is about that number on the scale that causes women to feel so hopeless - myself included. It doesn't matter to me if I've lost seven inches in my hip area {which will never happen}, but if that number on the scale doesn't move, I feel like I haven't accomplished anything.  Like I'm a failure.  It makes me just want to sit down on the scale and eat a pint of chocolate chip ice cream! Are you that way, too?

How often do you jump on the scales?  I ask that like it's the greatest thing.  I cringe.  I cringe every morning after I've gone to the bathroom and taken my shower.  Maybe I shouldn't use the word, cringe.  More like, hold my breath! Not like a "suck it in" kind of breath, but more like a, "Oh, God, here I go" breath.  Make sense?

And there's the whole "BMI Thing."  Body Mass Index.  It's like saying what you should weigh according to your height.  And I get that.  Except who ever asks, "Laura, what's your BMI?"  Well, no one ever asks me what I weigh, either, because they'll know they'll get slapped, but when I go to the doctor, she doesn't tell me to jump on the "BMI scale."  She tells me to jump on the "regular scale" that always tells me I weigh five pounds more than I did at home.  Ugh!!  

I'm not even sure what the purpose of this rant was.  All I know is that I started back walking three miles a day, four to five days a week {I walked 15 miles my first week back!} last week and I can't tell you how good it felt to be back outside! I'm also trying to cut back on my Diet Coke intake and drinking only water in the afternoon and evenings.  I am bound and determined to be at my goal weight by the time I board that cruise ship in nearly three weeks!  I think about all the delicious food I'll get to enjoy on the ship that I'm depriving myself of now.

Like chocolate chip ice cream.

Do they have chocolate chip ice cream in Hawaii?

Today I'm linking up with Elizabeth for Tuesday Talk!  Join the party!


10 comments:

  1. I put the scale away in a cabinet and I rarely pull it out anymore. It was a really hard to give it up but I feel so much better no putting my focus there anymore. I am about to start a 30 day nutrition challenge at the gym..more for accountability than anything else...but I'm sure they will weigh and measure. They will also do a body fat test for an extra fee and that is what I'm much more interested in at this point. I had Carly when I was 36 and I have never gotten back to my pre-pregnancy weight....I use to be able to workout and cut back and the weight would fall off but it is so much harder in my 40's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I am so attached to my scale. I wish I could be like you and totally ignore it. Maybe I will try. Up until last summer, I've always been able to walk mine off (not a gym person), but the seven pounds I gained last winter took me the entire summer to walk off! That's when I realized that my metabolism was slowing down and it was so depressing. This winter, since I had a little incentive with the cruise, I didn't gain as much and should be able to lose the couple of pounds by sailing time. Even with the extra weight, I haven't had to buy bigger clothes. Since I've gotten older, the inches come off faster than the weight and my friends say that's a good thing because that's what's more noticeable and I agree, but that stupid scale just gets me!

      Delete
  2. Ha! I totally understand. I went through the normal ups and downs of weight post baby and had finally gotten back into shape when in the course of one year we moved, we started new jobs, my husband got cancer, relapsed and almost died. Needless to say, I gained a lot of weight--about 60 lbs. It took about a year to get rid of it all, but I've managed to keep most of it off (winter and stressful times--such as the past six months) have added 15 pounds back on. I recently purchased a Fitbit Charge HR (because I love data), and its done a great job at keeping me accountable. I've lost 9 pounds already. I'm discovering that weight training and interval training are the two most important things for boosting my sluggish metabolism (and I mean sluggish--my resting heart rate is 49).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I've been considering a Fitbit myself since Christmas, but just didn't know if I needed another gadget. I agree with the weight training and when I was doing my research last summer (because I was trying to find out WHAT was going on and why I wasn't losing) it said that women my age needed weight training to boost their metabolism and to build strength. Currently, I don't do any weight training because I'm not a gym person. I'm sorry to hear about your husband and circumstances and I hope that things improve for you soon! Keep exercising! Way to go!!

      Delete
  3. I'm a big fan of walking to lose or maintain weight. Being comfortable on a beach in Hawaii is a worthy goal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got this Laura! I am itching for the weather to be better and get out and walk! We are still having such cold weather here and as I get older the more wimpy I get about being out in the cold :) I like to walk, so I know it will be easier to get myself to do it and I can do it with the kids so I have no excuse not to get it in!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I swear we may have been cut from the same cloth. I struggle as well and the scale sucks! Did I just say that? Why yes, yes I did! I also renewed my focus on exercise--I hate it but it's a necessary evil. And although I love Diet Coke, my downfall is beer and wine. I totally tgink I could lose it all if I just cut back or out of those. But how boring would my life be?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! Our lives would be TOTALLY boring without the beer and wine! Wine, more so for me!

      Delete
  6. I feel your pain. Weight becomes way harder to take off once you have kids and start getting older. Sigh! Literally the only time I get on the scale is when I got to he grocery store (which is probably a horrible idea- guess I'll be purchasing kale and carrots today!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you....it's a constant battle for so many women. Thanks for ranting ;-) And thanks for linking up to Tuesday Talk!

    ReplyDelete