Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Being Humble

I'm linking up with a new link up party today called, Waiting on...Wednesday. Grab the button and join us!
While I'm Waiting...


The online Bible Study that I mentioned here back in January is winding down this week and it's a little bittersweet. Only because I have enjoyed the study and the friendships with my online small group!  We have prayed over one another and shared our hearts with one another.  There's just something to be said about the fellowship of believers - especially women - in my book.  I'm looking for a new study for the Spring.  Does anyone have any ideas or favorites that you've done in the past?  I'm even considering another online study because I liked it so much!

I've been working on my Faith page here on the blog {I still haven't finished}. It's an important little project for me because I feel like it's my personal testimony shout out.  When I asked Shannon, my blog designer, to add the button, I really felt like God wanted me to share HIS story of how He has been such a constant presence in my life. 

While I was working on my Faith page post, God brought to mind this verse.


But it was the first part of this verse that He laid on my heart this week: "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves..."  It was that phrase that kept repeating over and over in my head.  I'm ashamed to admit that I had to look up the remainder of the verse.  

I don't want to ever take God speaking to me or His direction lightly {although I know I fail Him daily}, so I decided to spend some time this week reading and praying over this verse and I wanted to share with you some of the things He shared with me this week.

  • The word IF denotes choice.  I can choose right from wrong, one way or the other, the straight or the narrow.  
  • The IF is conditional on my actions.  God gives me the option to act first. He has given me the mind/ability to choose what to do.  If I do this, then He will do that.
  • God said, "...then I will..."  He didn't say, "I might" or "I'll think about it."
  • HUMBLE.  Hello, Laura!  It's bolded, it's capped, it's underlined for cryin' out loud!  Yet, why can't I get this?!
  • I have been called to Salvation and to walk humbly with my God {I was writing about this when God brought this verse to mind}.
  • I fall so short of praying and seeking God's face like I should.  Sometimes I think, well, God, you already know what I'm going through, or what I need today and although I give the situation to Him, I don't TALK to Him about it.  Yet this is part of the humility He's talking about.
  • Wicked ways.  I'm not a wicked person.  Do I have sin in my life, yes.  Yes, I do and I've asked God to reveal to me areas of my life that I have unconfessed sin, or when I commit a sin unknowingly or without regard.
It's also hard trying to teach a nine year old to be humble, let me tell ya!  And I see so many aspects of my spiritual relationship with God in the emotional relationship I have with Alise. So maybe this lesson is for the both of us? I plan to spend the remainder of this week delving into this verse some more to find out.

7 comments:

  1. lovely post. I'm hopping over from Waiting on Wednesday. God bless xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Katherine, and welcome! I'm headed over to your blog shortly!

      Delete
  2. Laura, what a beautiful post! I love when someone can break down a verse that helps me to really GET it. Thank you so much for linking up with Waiting on...Wednesdays! I hope you'll come back next week! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Laura. We have heard that word (humble) over and over again in our study this year. We have also learned a lot about how to approach God in prayer. So often we just come to him "asking" rather than "praising and thanking". Wish you lived closer to me so you could do CBS with me. They might have one in your area. Some are night time classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we lived closer, too, Lauren! Miss you, Sweet Friend, and thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete
  4. I just love when God reminds us of something that we have read/learned previously!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this verse, it's such a great reminder in daily life.

    ReplyDelete