Tuesday, January 20, 2015

It's My Birthday (And I'll Cry If I Want To)!

It was a long way to Alabama late Thursday night.  I'm not going to lie.  I'm not a very good car rider.  After about the first three hours, I start getting restless and antsy, so I insisted on driving the first leg to Jackson, Mississippi, where we stopped for supper.  Wayne normally drives on all our road trips because he has a really good sense of direction, where I do not.  You could blindfold me, spin me around three times, and I'd be lost!  But he drives all day for UPS and I knew he was tired and we had a long night ahead of us, so I offered. We didn't even get to our hotel room until 12:30 AM Friday. 

So while Wayne was driving, I was catching up on email, blogs, FB, & Twitter. I found THIS great article on FB and although parts of it were bittersweet, most of it was dead on.  I use to not do well with age.  I remember being so, so depressed when I turned thirty.   Finally, a sweet friend I worked with set me straight and said, "Laura, just think of the alternative.  Just think if you were no longer here."  Lydia made me realize how shallow I had been and so now, I really CELEBRATE my birthday! Wayne and Alise spoil me!!  Birthdays are always a big deal in our house!

To all my over-40 reader friends, if you've got a few minutes, read the article and let me know your thoughts. I was so surprised to see how many on the list are really true for me.  Here are a few of my comments:

#2 - I don't drink coffee so I wouldn't know what a killer cup tastes like.
#7 - I miss going out on NYE!
#10 - Who's kidding?  It's STILL embarrassing!!
#15 - Who or what the heck is Didion?
#17 - I'll never ignore the trends.
#23 - This one totally cracked me up!!  As much as I wanted to see Garth Brooks last month, we sat through most of the concert, but that's only because we had dead heads sitting around us!  
#30 - I always drive 5 miles over the speed limit.
#39 - I still struggle with this one!

And YES!  The best is yet to come!!



So yea!  The big forty-two today and I'm excited about it!  

It's crazy because I distinctly remember my dad's 42nd birthday.  I was either fifteen or sixteen and my best friend and I made my dad a birthday cake.  I remember we frosted the cake with white icing and made the numbers 4 and 2 out of blue candles. We lit the candles and sang, Happy Birthday.  And I remember thinking, Gosh!  My dad is 42 years old!  Will I ever be 42?  What will I look like?  What will I be doing with my life?  And now, today, I'm thinking about 1 Corinthians 2:9: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those that love Him."

God has truly blessed my life and more than I could have ever imagined.  His dreams and plans for me have been bigger and far better than I ever thought possible. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Birthday! Hope you have a super day! I will be googling Dideon...clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Joan Didion is an author the New York elite crowd loves :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Vicki! I need to look him up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, Happy Birthday to you!!! Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday sweet friend! Great article. I could agree on many points. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete