Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Thelma & Louise Road Trip

Last Friday afternoon, Angie and I headed East on I-20 and struck out for the great state of Alabama.

And we drove in the LEFT lane all the way.

Because that's just what we do.

It's a joke between us and our husbands because our state has a law that you can't drive in the left lane unless you're passing someone. Angie and I prefer the left lane because it gives us a hassle-free lane while everybody else is in the right lane {obeying the law}. The left lane is suppose to be the fast lane, right? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out! Duh!!

Wayne tells me all the time that if I ever get a ticket for driving in the left lane that my driving days will be over and I'll have to start taking the bus.

No comment.

So Friday we headed out and it hit me! I've never been to Alabama without my husband! It felt SO weird. And what was even weirder was flying through Tuscaloosa in a blink of an eye and having a seven year old holler from the back seat, "Tuscaloooooooser!" Wayne and I ALWAYS stop in Tuscaloosa!

And then I began to panic.

What if my idea of spending time with Angie's family meant that I was actually being kidnapped? What if my best friend turned into some crazed Auburn fan once we hit the Bama state line? What if I was forced to wear navy and orange all weekend and they brain washed me and forced me to say, "War Eagle"? What if they tied me to a chair and forced me to watch the football game?

I thought about reaching for the door handle and making a quick jump, but you guessed it! We were in the LEFT lane, so my chances of surviving a moving car AND being ran over in the RIGHT lane were nil at best.

So I decided to stay put and take my chances for the weekend.

Besides. I brought peace offerings!
The truth is, I KNEW I was getting away this weekend. Angie and I have had the weekend of October 9th planned for a girls get-a-way for a while. We just never could figure out where we were going! But Angie started getting homesick and asked me if I would go with her to Alabama to visit her family. Of course I said yes! I'm always up for a road trip! So that's how the "Thelma & Louise Road Trip" began!

And I realized just how small the world is! Angie and Robbie's family live about an hour away from Wayne's family. Who knew? I had such a good time visiting and getting to know their parents, brothers, neices and nephews. Angie's mother is the most delightful person I've met in a long time. I loved hearing her stories and she made me laugh - ALOT! AND she makes one MEAN sweet potato casserole!! We stayed with Robbie's parents at night and they were very welcoming and hospitable. I believe we set the world record on Sunday night for rounds of Scattagories! I got to eat at some of the neat places that Angie and Robbie have talked about, too! I had a Steak-Out burger, bar-be-que {Can you believe it, Doug & Mirya?!}, and we ate at Rosie's and I must say that it was the best Mexican food I've had in a long time!





By Monday morning, I was a little homesick myself. I was missing Wayne and Baby Girl. We left Alabama shortly after 9 o'clock and this time we made - or at least TRIED to make - a stop in Tuscaloosa for some Krispy Kreme Donuts for the guys. Unfortunately, we realized after we were headed back toward interstate on McFarland Boulevard, that our favorite donut shop had been blown away by the tornados last Spring. Seeing the damage from the tornados gave me chills. It was a very eerie feeling.

We had a great time! We didn't go over any cliffs or run into Brad Pitt, but Louise DID almost send a biker to his early death.


I guess that's what driving in front of Thelma & Louise in the left lane will get ya!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! What a wonderful trip you girls had!

    ReplyDelete