The absolute WORST hair day of my entire life was the day my dear mother decided that I needed a perm. Long, wavy hair tied back with barrettes one day and little orphan Annie the next. I kid you not. AND she made me go to school looking like that! I was in the fifth grade, so you can imagine what my friends thought of my strawberry blonde fro. What I didn't know at the time, was that that perm day would spark the beginning of my personal signature hair style. From that day on, I had perms up until about the time I got married. In the 80's and 90's, I had the spiral perms and the teased bangs. AS I got older, my hair just naturally got curlier on its own and I no longer needed perms. Today, in my mid-forties, I wear it much shorter, stacked in the back, and a tad longer on the sides. I still tease my curls with a "pick" and I'm still a fan of hairspray. I will forever be a fan of BIG HAIR!

Today I'm linking up with the girls from The Blended Blog to dish all about haircare. My routine is nothing major and just like last week, I'm still a cheapo when it comes to products, but I probably do splurge more on hair and makeup than I do on skincare.
Shampoo// I use "Grandma Shampoo." It's called Shimmering Lights and all the little, old, gray-haired ladies use this shampoo and I do, too, to cut the brassiness of my blonde hair (my hair color will have to wait for another post). AND! The shampoo is bright purple! My favorite color!
Conditioner// I use to not use conditioner because it left my hair flat and too relaxed, but my hair texture changed a few years ago and so now I have to use it. Conditioner especially helps during the summer months of high humidity.
Curl Enhancer// I've never met a Kenra product that I didn't like and their curl enhancer is a must have for me. It makes my curls look fuller and bigger.
Mousse// I only started using Aquage mousse a few months ago. I saw it in the Ulta check out line and decided to try it for volume at my crown. I struggle with some height in that area and this mousse has really helped. I also ask my stylist to cut my hair a little differently in that area for more volume, but I have no idea how to explain to you what she does! Ha!
Volumizer// Another Kenra favorite that helps with my "big hair" dreams!
Diffuser// Last but not least, this little tool is how all the magic happens. After towel drying my hair and applying products, I blow dry my hair with this little gadget attached to my hair drier on low speed. As I'm drying, I'm scrunching my hair at the root for volume.
After blow drying, the only thing left is the teasing and the spraying. I use what else? Kenra's high volume hair spray. My aqua net hair spray days of the 80's are far behind me, but I'll always be a big hair fan!
Curl Enhancer// I've never met a Kenra product that I didn't like and their curl enhancer is a must have for me. It makes my curls look fuller and bigger.
Mousse// I only started using Aquage mousse a few months ago. I saw it in the Ulta check out line and decided to try it for volume at my crown. I struggle with some height in that area and this mousse has really helped. I also ask my stylist to cut my hair a little differently in that area for more volume, but I have no idea how to explain to you what she does! Ha!
Volumizer// Another Kenra favorite that helps with my "big hair" dreams!
Diffuser// Last but not least, this little tool is how all the magic happens. After towel drying my hair and applying products, I blow dry my hair with this little gadget attached to my hair drier on low speed. As I'm drying, I'm scrunching my hair at the root for volume.
After blow drying, the only thing left is the teasing and the spraying. I use what else? Kenra's high volume hair spray. My aqua net hair spray days of the 80's are far behind me, but I'll always be a big hair fan!


I use the Shimmering Lights Shampoo as well. I've tried Kenra Products and agree they are all amazing. You touched a special subject with me lady and that's HAIR CARE. My hair has been through a lot with highlighting so I'm always on the hunt for great products. Thanks for sharing ! By the way.... your hair and those curls are perfection ! Happy Monday !
ReplyDeleteThank you, Tammy, and I'm loving your new cut as well!
DeleteWell you two girls just know that now I have to try that shampoo if you use it!!!
DeleteIt makes your hair color last longer, too!
DeleteYes try it Lisa ! It's awesome stuff !
DeleteAnd... thank you Laura my hair needed a fresh cut !
DeleteKendra products are amazing, the shine spray is my favorite. So mama Vicki refers to you as my pretty blonde friend with the cute curls! Love and love you! Happy Monday babe!
ReplyDeleteAw! Give your beautiful mom a hug for me!
DeleteThat Dolly meme - perfection.
ReplyDeleteI'm such a 'same' person - I dont think I've changed my hair products in years. I just stick with something & stay with it.
I always wanted a perm when I was a teenager& my mom wouldnt let me - I guess I need to call & thank her for that ;)
You're the second person to mention Kenra - I need to check this brand out! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston
ReplyDeleteIsn't it funny how our hair changes over the years? My curls have actually calmed down over the years. Grace's hair has gone from perfectly straight to wavy over the past few years. Anyway, love your hair! I also had several perms, including one during my senior year of high school. Why did I think I needed a perm when my hair was already wavy? Oh, because I wanted SPIRAL curls! Have a wonderful Monday!
ReplyDeleteI would love to see a video how you do your hair! You are the second person to mention Kenra...need to check it out. I am almost out of hairspray, going to try it next.
ReplyDeleteHmm...I'm camera shy, but thank you so much for the compliment!
ReplyDeleteYour hair is gorgeous! My hair used to be much curlier, but the older I get, the straighter it gets. Now it's just kind of wavy. Love using a diffuser!
ReplyDeleteI have heard great things about Kendra but never tried them. I've their hair spray is the best. I may have to give it a shot.
ReplyDeleteWell, whatever you do it is working. I don't use a lot of hair product because I have very course and thick hair and it just pretty much does whatever I direct it to do. I sure don't need any help with volume. Happy week!
ReplyDeleteDiffuser - check; Shimmering Lights - check (and I love how you call it Grandma Shampoo but with my lovely county water I have to use it to keep the brassy away); the best freaking conditioner ever? CHECK! We could have side by side bathrooms - it's official. LOL!
ReplyDeleteI keep thinking maybe once the grey comes I'll have a little more texture to my hair without having to add blonde all the time. My hair is just so darn fine it takes so much and/or perfect weather to have a good hair day.
ReplyDelete