Happy New Year, Bookies! Wishing all my bookworms a fabulous 2018 that includes lots and lots of books, of course! Here's what I was able to read during December despite all the holiday busy-ness and commitments.


I Thought Christmas Was Over. So I actually read Homicide for the Holidays BEFORE Christmas and loved it! I borrowed this book from the library and wasn't quite sure what I was getting into, but it was a very enjoyable read and kept me interested to the very end. It's Christmas time in Chicago in 1938 and Vivian is about to find out just who her father really was before his untimely death. Think Al Capone, Gone With The Wind, and old-time radio listening. I've added, The Darkness Knows, the first book in the series to my TBR list.

Really? Yes, really. I'm a history buff and I've been wanting to read a few of O'Reilly's books for a while. I loved Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot. It read like a history book and I enjoyed the personal aspect. It wasn't a book solely on the assassination, but rather the events that lead up to that tragic day in history.

Blue. I decided to read Words In Deep Blue after several link up readers recommended it. I enjoyed it, but it was just okay to me. In a world of iPhones and social media, it was hard for me to get behind the idea of "The Letter Library." I loved Rachel and Henry's relationship and the idea of second chances.

Are you serious? Okay before you say anything, my mother had this book and it was a freebie, so yes, I read it. I could go in to detail about how I did a sixth grade booklet project on the 1980 election and where I was the day Reagan was shot, but I'll spare you. The most surprising fact I learned from reading this book was about the infatuation Hinkley had with Jodi Foster. I'll file that tidbit away for a round of Trivial Pursuit!

Run As Fast As You Can. Similar to The Orphan Train and The Nightingale, The Runaway Children takes place during WWII and is the story of two sisters that are evacuated from their family. I loved the strong characters in this novel and although the middle seemed to drag a little, the ending was beautiful. I really enjoyed this book and was glad to see it come across my FB feed for $1.99. Totally worth the price.

The Best For Last. Reese Witherspoon selected The Last Mrs. Parrish for her monthly book club book. She raved about how much she loved it and that she couldn't put it down, so I decided to see if Ms. Witherspoon and I had the same taste in books. I am happy to report that we do because I loved it too and if you're in to psychological thrillers I highly recommend this one! A great book!

You can catch me on Goodreads here.
I found this reading plan on Pinterest and I plan on using it this year when making book selections. I think it would be fun and challenging. For me anyway! HA!

Have you read anything great lately?

In college I took entire courses on Reagan! LOVE that man. Great reads here girl but what I really came by to say: WHAT.A.GAME!!!! <3
ReplyDeleteTHE GAME!! OMG!! I don't know how in the world we won! We played awful!
DeleteI like that reading prompt! It's fun to get out of your comfort zone and read different genres. P.S. Congrats to Alabama - what a game!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Vicki! I'm looking forward to reading The Great Gatsby again this month!
DeleteI am starting the Mrs. Parrish book today!
ReplyDeleteI think you will really like it!
DeleteHomicide for the Holidays sounds like such a fun read- I like to read a few Christmas books every year so I'll have to keep that in mind for next year!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on Words In Deep Blue. Thought it was just an okay read. I also enjoyed The Last Mrs. Parrish. Good to know that I have similar reading tastes to Reese Witherspoon! I love her! Just added The Runaway Children to my to-read list.
ReplyDeleteI love Reese, too! Can't wait to see what her next book club book will be!
DeleteI can't wait to read The Last Mrs. Parrish. I love your little snippets on each of these books. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Heather! I think you'll like The Last Mrs. Parrish!
DeleteI never thought of Words in Deep Blue in the context of technology. How do you read your books? Mostly on an e-reader or physical books?
ReplyDeleteI liked Mrs. Parrish.
I read mostly from Kindle but I do request books from the library from time to time.
DeleteI'm curious about The Last Mrs. Parrish - I do like a good psychological thriller. Glad you read some really good books lately!
ReplyDelete-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net
I enjoy psych thrillers, too, Lauren!
Deleteok, adding the last mrs parrish to my list. Crazy In Alabama sounds interesting. words in deep blue is on my TBR but i've heard so-so things. i'm sure i'll get to it eventually.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed Mrs. Parrish lots more than In Deep Blue!
DeleteI'm a big history buff too - O'Reilly's books have been on my list to read. I've been sticking to fiction but I need to mix in some history as well.
ReplyDeleteI've seen a lot of praise for The Last Mrs Parrish and was curious about it. Glad it lived up to the hype and adding it to my TBR. I love a good psychological thriller. Words in the Deep Blue is already on my TBR. I am very interested in the Harry Bosch series as I LOVE a mystery series. My only concern is that I sometimes struggle to adapt to the timeframe in which a book is taking place. Like no smartphones, internet and I'll be like "why don't they" ... I had that problem with Sue Grafton's letter mysteries. The current books are in the here and now but to go back to the beginning ... I'm gonna try!
ReplyDeleteIf its good for Reese AND you, its God enough for me haha
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read Mrs. Parrish! Michael just finished the Kennedy book on audio and loved it. I liked all the history trivia in both the Kennedy and Reagan books. You sure put together a fun book post! :)
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read The Last Mrs Parrish! I have been moving up a wait list at the library for it.
ReplyDeleteI just added The Last of Mrs Parrish to my list! Sounds interesting. I have Words in Deep Blue on my TBR. Oh, and ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!! What a game, right??? I had about three mini heart attacks but man, what a game what a game!
ReplyDeleteRoll Tide, Nadine!!
DeleteThat's a very interesting book challenge! I will have to remember to try it.
ReplyDeleteWhen Reagan was shot I was in my fourth grade classroom. They started playing the news over the PA and we all cracked up laughing because having news on the PA was so weird. As punishment, we all had to make get well cards to send him. But he sent a letter back to our class thanking us.
ReplyDeleteSorry - I don't get to talk about the 80s much on the Internet!
Loved this Kimberly! Thanks for sharing!
DeleteHow cool that Regan acknowledged your get well cards!!
ReplyDeleteWell, you know I'm not a reader so I'll just say "hey" and hope you're having a great week!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to check out The Last Mrs. Parrish. Also, Words in Deep Blue has me intrigued a bit.
ReplyDeleteI have wanted to read the Reagan and Kennedy books for awhile....I need to sit down and make a list and stick to it. I've been kind of downloading randomly. When I saw this list and it talked about a book in school....it made me think of this book, The Eyes of the Amaryllis, I seriously think I read it 5 times....it was either that or Harlequin romances...I wasn't much on deep literature growing up. haha
ReplyDeleteHaha! I remember Harlequin romance books!
DeleteJust read the Goodreads synopsis of The Last Mrs. Parrish, and it reminds me of the ABC drama Revenge. Did you ever watch that show? Do you think it was similar?
ReplyDelete