
I decided to join Steph and Jana today for the 2017 finale of Show Us Your Books in which we'll be sharing our favorite books for the year.
I had a hard time narrowing down all my favorite books to just one for 2017. I feel like I'm a reading snob and a book has really got to be over the top for me to dish out a 5-star rating on Goodreads. I challenged myself to reading only twenty books this year (due to a sluggish book slump at the end of 2016) and as of this writing, I actually read forty-three. Go me! Out of these forty-three, I only gave out eight 5-star ratings, so then I went back and thought about those eight books and how just over the top they really were, and I declared 2017 a TIE, y'all!! What can I say? It was the best I could do because I truly LOVED these two books.
Drum roll please...
My TWO favorite books of 2017 were...

Every. Single. Time. I recommended A Man Called Ove to a friend or reader, they told me that they loved it. To all my friends on Goodreads that read it, they also gave it 5 stars (I think I may have only seen ONE 4 star rating and I was like, what the what?). Ove was one of the very first books I read in 2017 and it set the precedent for the remainder of the year when it came to rating books. Ove is a cantankerous, old man that finds love and happiness when a young family moves in next door. The transformation he makes through the friendship and kindness of others made me laugh out loud and cry, too. Even at the same time. When a book can move you like that and gives you "all the feels," it's definitely worth reading.

I mentioned before that I had taken Wonder off my To-Be-Read list about a year ago because I couldn't seem to get into it at the time and when I found out it was the Young Adult genre, I simply lost interest. Then Alise and I saw the previews in the summer to the movie starring one of my favorite celebrities, Julia Roberts, and I decided to pick it back up again for another try. And I'm glad I did. I loved how Augie's situation brought everyone together in the end. Definitely another "all the feels" book and movie. One of Alise's good friends recently won first place in our school's reading fair with this book.
Just in case you're curious, here are the other four books that I gave 5-star kudos to during 2017. Have you read any of these? Sorry, but I'm just too lazy today to link the books.
Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
Two Kinds of Truth by Michael Connelly
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams
The Identicals by Elin Hilderbrand
I'm currently reading The Last Mrs. Parrish from Reese Witherspoon's book club.

So it's December 26th, the day after Christmas and I'm writing this post the week before. At this time, I have no idea just how our Christmas Day will go, but I'm pretty sure that it will be special and then some! Stephanie is home from France and my brother is in town. I've got plans to make another green bean casserole for our Christmas dinner and all the gifts are finally wrapped. I hope your Christmas was pretty special, too!
Happy New Year, Bookworms!
Happy New Year, Bookworms!

Hope your Christmas was extra special! I will do my best books of the year post next week, and I have a feeling it will be very similar to yours! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteI am with you on Ova.... Probably my favorite book of 2017 as well!!!
ReplyDeleteI totally missed out on this post & need to go over my books for the year.
I loved Ove too!
ReplyDeleteI am not on the Backman train. I couldn't get through Ove!
ReplyDeleteI liked Mrs. Parrish, loved Wonder!
EXCELLENT choices! A Man Called One is one of my all-time favorites and I just finished Wonder, which I was thoroughly impressed by.
ReplyDeleteHappy Holidays to you!
Wonder was such a great book. I still haven't seen the movie yet though. I recently read Before We Were Yours and it will be in my December book review. Yeah for Small Great Things. That book made my list too.
ReplyDeleteWonder is a great book, and it's a great lesson to kids.
ReplyDeleteOur book club read A Man Called Ove and everyone loved it!
ReplyDeleteWonder was an amazing book. I believe it was on my list last year along with SGT. Evelyn is on my list this year.
ReplyDeleteWonder was great!
ReplyDeleteIt seems like everyone is reading The Last Mrs. Parrish so I might have to give it a try eventually too.
i haven't read a man called Ove yet, but it's on my list. Wonder is amazing. So good! i really liked evelyn hugo and one hundred summers out of your other books :)
ReplyDeleteI was on such a great roll with reading and ever since we started working on the house I haven't read anything! I'm working to build a new list for 2018. Hope you guys have enjoyed your family time!
ReplyDeleteI still need to read Ove, but my mom has a copy, so soon I hope! I LOVE Wonder. I need to read all the novellas that go with it.
ReplyDelete-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net
I have not read Ove yet but it is on my TBR. I loved Small Great Things and Evelyn Hugo too. Happy New Year and another year of great books!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read A Man Called Ove. I'm coming up soon at the library and I am so excited.
ReplyDeleteWishing you and your family the happiest new year ! Enjoy your time with your loves :)
ReplyDeleteI loved A Man Called Ove as well. It made me quite sad though. I think "old people" (he's not even very old) is a trigger for me. My grandpa passed away from Alzheimer's when he was only 63 so it was a bit of a tough read for me. I did enjoy it though. XO - Alexandra
ReplyDeleteSimply Alexandra: My Favorite Things