Monday, August 28, 2017

And Baby Makes Three

Image result for and baby makes three

Okay. I'll admit it. I use to be selfish.

I'm still selfish. I think.

But when Wayne and I got married almost twenty-three years ago, we had absolutely no plans of ever having kids. 

Doesn't that sound horrible? Doesn't that seem cold?

It sounds horrible to me now, twenty-three years later, but at the time, that's where we stood on the topic of children. 

And we were both okay with it.

I think alot of our decision was based on the fact that we were both still technically living at home when we got married and our biggest "excitement" - I guess you could say - about getting married, was finally being out on our own. Wayne lived with a roommate, but he also drove the 65 miles home three to five times a week to help his parents at their store and farm. I lived at home with my parents during college and as I've shared before, I had to be home at midnight the weekend before I got married. That's just the way things were in those days (and I know all you thirty and unders are gasping about now!). It wasn't that our parents were overly bearing (midnight? really?), but it was just the way things were with this first-born, city girl and country boy. So independence played a major role in our decision at that time.

We also wanted to travel and just live and enjoy life together. And we did! More times than I can count, Wayne would come home on a Friday night and say, "Let's go here" or "Pack your bags, baby, we're going to so-and-so this weekend" and I loved that!  Loved the freedom of marriage. We traveled to California, Florida, Colorado, Texas, Lake Tahoe. Sometimes we went with friends and sometimes it was just us. 

For me personally, those early years were all about advancing my career. I had taken a job right after graduation with a local accounting firm and spent all my free time studying for the CPA exam. The studying was grueling and I had no social life. I was determined to pass so that my dream of climbing the corporate ladder could begin.

But that's another blog post.  

So Wayne and I lived the life of freedom and independence for nine years. We like to say here in the South that we were "living on love." And it was bliss.

Until...

God and I started playing the "what if" game.

To be continued...

21 comments:

  1. Darn it keep going no TBCs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You are too funny!

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to hearing more! I got pregnant six weeks after marriage. We were both still in college. We weren't planning on that and it caused a lot of difficulties in the early years, but now were still "young" in our twilight years and enjoy having time to do things together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Amy! I'm going to be so "lost" when the empty nest phase starts, I think, because I feel like we did it all in the early years!

      Delete
  3. Its funny how YOU can make plans & then God steps in ;) Cant wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to tell you that I had all the feels when I read about you wanting to climb the ladder in the accounting firm and having no social life because of studying for the CPA exam. I was right there with you a few years ago and nobody really understands it unless you've been there done that. It's hard and so very stressful! It's nice to find someone else in the blogging world that has done that as well. Can't wait to read more of your story!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lindsey! Yes, my whole journey regarding my dreams and career aspirations is a whole other post! I am just so darn glad I don't ever have to take that thing again! Thank you for reading and your comment, too.

      Delete
  5. The beginning of your marriage sounds so fun! People always told me to wait to have kids and explore the world first, but with my medical issues, I always planned to have kids right away so I can be around as much as I can when they get older. I do wish Robert and I had traveled more- it's definitely more expensive to do so now! Can't wait to hear the rest of your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allie! More to come for sure!

      Delete
  6. You are such a tease friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing this story is such a stretch for me. I've always been transparent on my blog, but this is just putting it out there, ya know?

      Delete
  7. Okay, I can't wait for "the rest of the story"..............

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you kidding me???? A cliff hanger! Well it's obvious how it turned out, but I want to hear all about the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The story was waaayyy too long to write in one post!

      Delete
  9. OOOH fun. I love a to be continued story. My husband didn't want kids when we got married, but I did. It was actually something we had to work through before we walked down the aisle. It all worked out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad the decision for kids worked out for you and your husband, Lana! It worked out for us, too! More to come. Thank you for reading! Hope your week is off to a great start!

      Delete
  10. I'm interested to hear more! My husband and I will be married four years tomorrow and we don't have any kids. I always thought I wanted 5 [eeek] but we have enjoyed our traveling so much we keep putting it off. Soon though it will have to be now or never and we are both kind of like, hmmmmmm, what do we really want.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME....Please finish this story!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed these posts! Glad you mentioned them so I could go back and catch up.

    ReplyDelete