Monday, March 14, 2016

The Rains Came Down & The Floods Came Up

When I was younger and in Sunday School, we use to sing a song about Noah's ark and honestly, the only part of the song I can remember now is the chorus, "the rains came down and the floods came up!" But that's exactly what it was like last week here in Louisiana! Wow!  We got some rain, y'all! Unfortunately, some of our friends were not so lucky with the situation and their homes were flooded. Please continue to pray for our community.  And thank you so much for those of you that sent emails and texts to check on us.  I hope I was able to answer everyone.


One of the big girls sent me this pic of campus.  The building in the back is the library and what looks like a lake is actually a bayou, which is the pride of our campus.  But you can tell from where the person is sitting that the bayou is no longer that! So sad.


So the Bigs stayed with us during most of the torrential rain. With their dogs. I felt like my house was a zoo! But it was fun!  We stayed up late, watched movies, played cards, took naps, I cooked, and everyone was just happy. Wayne still had to work; Alise's school was closed and the college closed. Unfortunately, the Mother Ship stays open 24/7, so I only took one day off from work. Love these girlies! I hardly ever get to see them with their hair down!


By Saturday, I was ready to pull my hair out!  The bigs had left with their animals on Friday and it was just us three again, but the walls were beginning to close in on me and I needed some fresh air. Unfortunately, the rain began again and continued off and on through out the day.  Wayne and I got out of the house during a lull to make a Walmart run. The highlight of my day was when my BFF texted me to check on us.  They actually use to live in the area that flooded before they moved back to Alabama three years ago. Oh, I miss her so much! We picked up S and went out to eat Saturday night. She was down because the Sunbelt Conference Game was going on in New Orleans and the team didn't make it . D was actually there with her family to watch the game. So after supper, we came back to the house and played Uno and Heads Up!  We had SO much fun!!  S is so funny! Please continue to pray for her.  We had a heart-to-heart talk when I took her back to her dorm later that night.  Her story totally breaks my heart, y'all. But for the first time ever, she mentioned going to church with us and that is an answer to prayer!

On Sunday, it was casual day at church. They were asking people to come in jeans and t-shirts because the majority of our church family had been affected by the flooding. We had a wonderful Life Group that morning and Wayne spent the remainder of the afternoon and evening helping friends tear out floors, molding, sheet rock, and insulation.  It's a very, very sad situation.  Our hearts are broken for our friends and loved ones, but I think everyone had a sigh of relief when we found out on Sunday evening that President Obama had declared a natural disaster to our area, so there will be some relief.  Today, the Baptist Association is sending disaster teams to our area and they will be housed at our church.  Samaritan's Purse {Christmas boxes} is already here as well.

For my local readers, if you know of someone that has been affected by the flooding and needs help, please contact North Monroe Baptist Church.  They will send people to you, I promise.

Thank you for your prayers.

10 comments:

  1. Been praying for you, and thinking of you, and hugs to each and everyone of the people in your area for quick resolution to this darn mother nature crap! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! It has just been awful! So sad for our friends, but we know God is in control!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, praying for y'all! How scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, for your prayers.

      Delete
  3. Laura, I'm very sad for your friends and neighbors that have been affected by the floods. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers. Your big girls sure are cuties. I'm sure they appreciate your friendship and hospitality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our big girls are pretty special! In spite of the flooding, we all had fun! It was like one giant slumber party!

      Delete
  4. Been watching it on TV and thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! Please keep our community in your prayers!

      Delete
  5. I'm sure your friends appreciated Wayne and his hands-on help! What a blessing to have a guy like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renee! I think he's pretty special, too!

      Delete