Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Red Velvet For Christmas

I absolutely love to bake and the holidays are such a special time to bring out all the delicious goodies! I normally mark off an entire weekend {usually the weekend right before Christmas} and dedicate it to apron wearing, spoon licking, and a very messy kitchen! The baking commences on Friday evening, with a glass of wine, and ends sometime mid-afternoon on Sunday, with a few breaks in between, of course. The most fun I've had Christmas baking was when Angie and I use to bake together at Christmas.  She would make her signature treats, I would make mine, and then we would share.  I loved it because combining our efforts always made for a more variety of treats to give away to friends and neighbors. We also included the girls and they decorated Christmas cookies at the kitchen table while we "slaved away."  Fun memories.

I've written posts in the past where I've shared my signature treats and things I like to bake for Christmas, and maybe I'll share them again a little closer to the big day, but today, for the Home for the Holiday Link Up and Northwest Native's Christmas Traditions, I thought I would share my absolute FAVORITE Christmas treat {I even introduced them to Angie about five years ago}. In our home, it's "GOD, FAMILY, FOOTBALL, & RED VELVET CAKE BALLS"! Somebody get me a sign!





And just to show you how awesome the blogging community is, I had never even heard of RVCBs until I read about them on Pinky's blog about six years ago.  Unfortunately, I can't introduce you to Pinky because she no longer posts and her blog is unavailable, but she started a RVCB Revolution that ranked right up there with the blanket scarf for all you fashion bloggers!  It wasn't long before we were all showing our "balls" for all of Blog Land to see!

And the recipe is so easy!  All you need is:

Red Velvet Cake Balls

One box of red velvet cake mix
Box ingredients for the cake
one container of cream cheese icing
white candy coating - that we like to call, "almond bark" here in the South

Bake the cake according to the directions on the box.  After the cake has cooled, crumble the entire cake in a large bowl. Stir in the icing into the crumbs.  Mixture will be thick.  Roll into bite size balls. Refrigerate for a few hours and then dip in melted "almond bark." 

I love this recipe because the balls can be made in advance and frozen.  I have a bag of them in my freezer right now! I just thaw them a little before I'm ready to use them and then dip them! {I personally like to eat them cold, right out of the fridge.  I love to hear that "crack" of the almond bark when you bite into them!}

I have red velvet cake balls for nearly every party or get together we have at our house.  We have a certain friend {Hello, Clint!} that asks if I'll be having them before he will commit to come over!  HA! For Halloween, I dip them in orange or lime green candy melts.


Home for the Holidays Blog Hop

Today I'm linking up with Home for the Holidays at Talk of the Trains and you can, too, by sharing your favorite Christmas recipe or craft on your blog and joining us! I'm also joining Pinky for Countdown To Christmas and Northwest Native's Christmas Traditions!

I've also updated the Christmas party link up list and you can check it out HERE. I added the Blogmas link up and when I talked to Faith last week, she said that she would probably be doing another Christmas card link up this year, but I don't know specifics yet.  I'll keep you posted and if you know of any parties I need to add to the list, please let me know!

Merry Christmas!



17 comments:

  1. YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMY! These look sooooooo delicious, I'm a red velvet fiend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed!!!!! Whoohoo, any recipe with the word Balls in it and I'm so in. Add the word Red Velvet and I'm over the moon, tickled pink happy!!!! These are going on the Christmas plate. Thank you blogger bestie!!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could bake together sometime! Of course, wine would be included!

      Delete
  3. These look AMAZING!!!!! My SIL LOVES red velvet, so I'll definitely be keeping these in mind for her! Currently craving...alllllll the holiday favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will love the, Sara! I promise.

      Delete
  4. Yum, yum, yum!! I make a similar version of these - Oreo balls - that are a must have every Christmas! I may have to add these into the mix this year, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, oreo balls are quite popular around here, too, Katie, and I love them just as much!

      Delete
  5. Totally craving red velvet now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my...these look delicious! I love red velvet and cream cheese frosting, I love cake balls...I need these! I think my mom calls it almond bark too, and we're in the northwest, far from the south, so that's funny! I've never really paid attention to what other people call it here and now I'm curious. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Showing your balls....I'm cracking up...those look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of these before - but they look delicious! May have to make some :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lana! You've GOT to make them! Your boys would love them!

      Delete
  9. I love cake balls, I'll have to try these. thanks for linking up and sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love baking during the holidays....and drinking wine, and more importantly eating what I've baked !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got to get together and bake, Kimm! Pronto!

      Delete
  11. I'll have to give these a try soon. I tried to make cake balls once many years ago. It must have been a very humid day here, because they were way to mushy to roll into balls. Will give it another try!

    ReplyDelete