Monday, September 21, 2015

Living In The Fog Of Loss

Y'all.

I knew it was going to be bad, but I had no idea it was going to be THAT bad!

I nearly choked on my bacon and cheese slider on the first play of the freakin' game!!

I don't know if I've told you or not, but it's like I have football ESP or something.  For the last three years, I have been on point when it comes to predicting Alabama losses.  And I hadn't felt good about this Ole Miss game all week.  Every time I tried to mention it to Mr. Horton, he would just say, "You gotta think positively.  Only positive vibes, baby!" Yea, well, when I woke up Saturday morning with a headache, those "positive vibes" went in the trash! The day had 'loss' written all over it! And when Ole Miss showed up sporting those butt ugly blue helmets that they hadn't worn since the last time they beat Bama in TTown, I knew we were in for it.

Y'all think I'm lying, but by half time, Wayne and I were no longer in the same room together.  I left him upstairs in the theater room while I watched in the living room.  I eventually moved to our bedroom and hid under the covers of our goose down. And it's not that we can't watch together because he's hollering or going nuts.  Wayne's a pretty "calm" Alabama fan football watcher - I only heard him holler from upstairs a few times Saturday night and that was very uncommon for him.  But when things start spiraling out of control, it's best that we separate.  I let him sulk by himself. 

After a loss, it's like this cloud of gloom settles over the Rammer Jammer Chateau. We mope. We don't talk to each other. We just let everything be. By about Tuesday, we come out of the fog and all is right in the world again and we begin looking forward to the next game.  The next one being BOTH our alma maters: the ULM Warhawks!

My blog friend, Lauren, is so funny!  She texted me late Saturday night and said, "Please tell me you do not have Ole Miss fans at your house!  Throw them in the pool!!" Unfortunately, I had to tell her that we didn't have any friends over, just the two of us, the way Wayne wanted it.  But he kept saying all day that he just knew Barry was going to pop out of the bushes right before the game! Barry's creepy like that!  Ha!

The first question Alise asked me when she woke up Sunday morning was, "Did we win?"  I had to break the news to her.  Wayne was still in bed. Moping. 

So Alise and I spent the rest of Sunday afternoon working on her Anne Frank project.  She finished well over half of it this weekend and I'm so proud of her for doing the majority of it on her own.  I'm also proud of myself for letting her. I would show you a picture of her pizza box, but in all fairness, it's ugly.  Who knew they made WWII stickers?  All I can say is thank goodness someone did! I spent $30 bucks at Michael's for this stupid project!  AND, Alise gets the pleasure of participating in a "wax museum" on Friday in our school library to portray her character.  Where do teachers come up with these ideas?

Here's to a better week than this weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Well I 'm glad I'm not the only wife who gets a mopey husband after a loss of a sporting event. I've learned to just let him be when he gets this way. I hear you on the project thing...if I could add the amount of money we spent on projects over the years with the girls. Crazy! Have a great day Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally told my husband, Laura is going to do a whole post on this! I will not laugh at all girl because I know you are in morning today, in fact I am even wearing black for you and I totally totally feel your pain! While our Irish one, our high school boys had a storm delay on Friday night so we had to finish the second half on Saturday only to be a team that was pitiful and we lost a game we should've definitely won!! Yes love I am praying for a magnificent week ahead for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Andrea! You know me too well!! Ugh! Just so disappointing how we played, but we did it to ourselves. Sorry for your high school loss as well. I hope you have an awesome week, too!

      Delete
  3. I was thinking about you - what a crazy game! MSU is now number 2 and I don't know what to think about it! I'm scared it could all come crashing down with a crazy loss. Alabama will come back :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #2 is a very good place to be! #1 walks around with a target on its back. MSU is a very good football team!

      Delete
  4. I am laughing at "in all fairness, it's ugly" LOL!! I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks that way! I always have such a hard time not putting in my 2 cents on things, I like pretty and perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I've given her freedom, Sandy. I'm such an OCD mom, and although it nearly killed me, it really felt great reading a book while she "worked." Ha!

      Delete
  5. Such a great game though!! I kept nodding off and willing myself to make it to the end

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about the loss, Laura. You know what might make you feel better? Those boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the exact same thing!!

      Delete
  7. Big losses like that always take me a few days to get over!

    ReplyDelete