Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Pulling Horse Shoes

Our little girl had to pull a horse shoe last week at school. Can you say devestation? I was crying. She was crying. It was her first time to pull a horse shoe all year and I just felt so sorry for her. It broke my heart. And can I just say that I love it when teachers text parents? Love. It.

Apparently, Alise lied to her student teacher about eating her hamburger at lunch. Can you believe my Baby threw – yes, threw – her meat on the cafeteria floor – yes, on the floor – because she didn’t want to eat it and then lied about it? And we had JUST talked about being honest in our night time devotional the week before. And I’ll be the first to say that this really doesn’t sound like my child. She’s never thrown food at home – even when it was something she didn’t want to eat so I have NO idea what caused the rebellion that day.

So we had a “talk” with Alise and explained to her that first and foremost on the days she doesn’t carry her lunch, it costs her mommie and daddy four dollars – yes, four dollars – a day –yes, a day - for her to eat in the cafeteria. So that means when she threw her hamburger on the floor, she was throwing away four dollars. We equated that with two rides on the carousel at the mall that she lost that weekend because of her actions. Secondly, it was wrong to throw food on the floor. And thirdly, lying is wrong, wrong, wrong. Mommie can not stand to be lied to.

And then she got a good ol’ southern whoopin’! From daddy. Not me. I had to leave the room.

Ms. L thinks that Alise has learned her lesson. She said Alise was extremely upset about pulling a horse shoe and when I asked her at gymnastics what had happened at school that day, she just burst in to tears. Real tears. She told me the remainder of the night that she didn’t want to go back to school. I think she was a little embarrassed, too.

10 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that! But you know I can relate! I wish more parents would take their child's misbehavior seriously. I hate that she was upset, but that probably means that she understood she was wrong and was ashamed of herself, which will help her make better decisions from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing! I think you handled it great though. It's so hard to punish them when they are so little but it's so important for them to understand that what they did was wrong and WHY it was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless her heart! I remember I only lied to my parents twice growing up and I think that feeling of being embarrassed kept me from doing it more. God sure does have a way of convicting you even as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary-Kate had to flip her apple this year and it was very devastating to us too. I know it must have been hard to punish her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Alise! But good parenting momma! $4 a day seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor thing! But I bet she learned her lesson, so good parenting! I had kids who had to pull cards daily, and they NEVER learned the lesson. Oh well. And $4 for lunch? Are you SERIOUS???? That's robbery compared to what it cost here. Geez...I'd be broke if I lived there and sent my child to public school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh.. her first one. i think I had to pull a card once or twice. Never more than a warning, though.

    this is going to sound terrible... but good for Wayne. So many parents are scared to spank their kids. I think more parents should spank their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. L told me about it!! I just couldn't believe it!! But this morning when I got there she ran up to me and gave me a BIG BIG hug!!! She is so precious! I just love her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jackson told me on Thursday that he "said something sassy" to his teacher on Tuesday.... Oooo! I see a blog post in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a wise momma. I know how hard that was, but you did good. I remember when Gretchen misbehaved at pre-school. I can't recall all the circumstances, but if you ask Gretchen, she remembers every detail vividly. Needless to say, she didn't do it again.

    Will you hug Alise for me? I almost cried when I read this post. I must have a Grandmother's heart even if I'm not one.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete