Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Low Fat King Cake

Just in time for Mardi Gras next week, here is a low fat version of a Louisiana delicacy! This is another recipe that I tried on the fans at work a few years ago and now it has become a tradition. They know what to expect on the morning of Fat Tuesday! Don't forget the yellow, purple, and green sugar!



2 cans reduced fat cinnamon rolls with icing

Filling:
4 oz. light cream cheese
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 T. skim milk
2/3 c. cherry pie filling

Separate one can of rolls and roll each by hand so that it looks like a hot dog. Place rolls on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. Arrange the rolls to form an oval shape, and pinch ends together. Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk to make filling. Pat rolls down and spread filling on top; then add layer of cherry pie filling. Separate second can of rolls; roll, shape and press to cover filling and form top layer of cake. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Top with icing from cans and colored sugar.

Recipe courtesy of "Eat What You Love."

9 comments:

  1. LOW Fat King Cake on Fat Tuesday? Now that's just NOT right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love me some a king cake! And since we can't get them here now I can make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy! Would it be wrong to admit that I'm a Louisiana Girl and I've never made a King Cake??? Well, I might just have to try this one!
    btw, the horseshoe post cracked me up! :)
    How bout our Saints?! Who Dat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stopped by from another blog. You have an adorable little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMO!!! I ate King Cake for the first time this past Friday and I love it!! I'm so excited to see this in a low fat version. I'll just have to try that out :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love cinammon rolls around but I have been on this no sugar, no wheat and diary thing...wondering if its time to break down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had King Cake . . . I guess I need to try it now! :) Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are calling for more snow Thursday and Friday. I can't believe all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That looks so yummy! Gonna go get me some of DAT!

    ReplyDelete