Monday, June 16, 2008

Apache Bread Recipe & Paula Dean's Chocolate Magazine

This is the recipe that I made for our friend, Bryan's 40th birthday bash tonight. Happy Birthday, Bryan! The recipe is from a very popular, local recipe book called, Celebrations on the Bayou by the Junior League of Monroe. I think you Mississippi State football fans call it something else, but here it is:

1 9-inch loaf of bread (can use a loaf of french bread)
16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 8-oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
1 8-oz. carton sour cream
1/2 c. minced green onions
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
2 41/2 oz. cans green chilies, chopped
1 c. chopped ham

Cut the top off the bread, reserving top and scoop out the inside. Combine remaining ingredients and mix well. This will be a very stiff mixture. Fill the bread with the cheese mixture, replace the top, and place on a cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips or tear and dip with the bread (I like to use Wheat Thins). Enjoy!

Look. There's just one thing you need to know about me when it comes to cooking. I'm all about easy! I made the cheese mixture last night and had Wayne fill the bread and put it in the oven tonight while we were at gymnastics. Now, if my man can do this, you KNOW it's easy!!!

My best friend, Leigh, and I love chocolate!! We are members of the "Choc-o-holics Club." I was telling her Sunday at church that Paula Dean has a new recipe magazine out that is nothing but chocolate recipes. There is a picture of Paula on the front holding up this huge chocolate mouse cake. Yum! Leigh asked me why I didn't buy it and I told her because it was rather expensive...$8.99. Maybe I could go to Paula's website and get some chocolate recipes that way. Anyway, I think Leigh is one of the best cooks in the world. Ya'll can just be mad at me, but I told her not to publish the secret-family-recipe for the Oreo Ice Cream. It'll make you slap your momma! Who knows? Maybe she won't listen to me and publish it anyway! Oh, and by the way! Some friend Leigh is! She tells me the NEXT day - after I have made the lasagna - that the noodles I used did not have to be boiled!! I could have just layered the casserole! WELL!!

Alise did such a great job at gymnastics tonight. If you had told me two years ago when we started Mommie-and-Me gymnastics that she would be flipping over the bars and doing cartwheels, I would have laughed and said that that would never happen. I stood at the window and watched her and I was so surprised how well she followed directions and sat patiently. She would look at me from time to time and I had to take her out to go to the bathroom, but other than that, she did really well!

I'll post pictures tomorrow from Bryan's party!
Laura.Sign

5 comments:

  1. Are you SURE we're not related??? It sounds like you cook just like me, and I, too, am a chocoholic (I admit it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up!! The "slap your mama" bit totally made me laugh! AND...gotta love Junior League cookbooks! I'm a member of the Junior League of Murfreesboro! It sounds like you had a great party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bread recipe is something I think my family would love. One of my neigbors had us over for a chocolate party a couple of weeks ago, this might be something you would be interested in. Instead of tupperware you buy chocolate, I think Dove chocolate puts them on. Thanks for stopping bye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Paula Deen chocolate magazine you are talking about. There is some tasty stuff in there.

    My hubby (he cooks!) made a wonderful chocolate bread pudding that he got of Paula's website. It has some sort of liquor in it--I remember not liking it too well, so he subsititued Godiva chocolate liquor. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wouldn't be picking on me, would you?? Better be nice or I won't share the recipe!! Oh wait, I think you already have it!!

    ReplyDelete