If you've been following me for a while, then you know that I've been on a weight loss journey since the last week in February 2018. Why the last week in February? Well, that was our week of Spring Break and that was the week I put on my tennis shoes for the first time in about two years, and started hitting the pavement. I wanted to have enough energy and stamina to be able to do all the necessary walking on our trip to Disney in May. Two weeks after Disney, Wayne had a heart attack and my (our!) eating habits changed even more to the better.
And now it's the holidays and what's an appetizer-loving, sweet-loving, wine drinking, Christmas party girl like me supposed to do in order to NOT gain back some of those unwanted pounds? Well, you're in luck because today I'm sharing my personal plan to maintaining my weight during the holidays!
Water Wagon || Trust me. I know how difficult it is to drink water. I've only been on the wagon since April and as of today, I'm getting pretty darn close to falling off! I've managed to let my beloved Diet Coke sneak back in my busy life. But each day is a new opportunity and it's about making the better choice for my skin, my mood, and my weight. I just feel better when I'm drinking water. And as for wine, I've become a tee-totaler. Who needs those extra calories? Think before your pour, Friends.
Sneak In Exercise || This summer and early fall, I had all the time in the world to walk. But now it's basketball season and my routine has been interrupted for Alise's games and practice pick up times. Mommin' ain't easy, y'all, and that's why it's important to still get in those exercise times. I'm finding out that I have to rearrange my walking time to fit our schedule and that even twenty minutes instead of forty-five still count. Two days instead of four days still count. Walking weekends now (which I didn't do alot during the summer as I counted those as my "off days") still count. Sneak it in whenever you can.
Eat Small Snacks || I use to not believe in the snacking theory. I just saw myself eating more: snacking AND eating at meal time! But eating smaller meals and snacking on a palm-sized nutritious snack during the day really does help control hunger. Choose your snacks wisely.
One spoonful, One plate || Notice I did not say "heaping" spoonful. I've started using smaller plates at home for myself to help with portion control. All those small baby bowls from Alise's toddler days (and that I'm embarrassed to say that I still have...) have come in quite handy for measuring smaller food sizes. At parties this holiday season, have just one plate (not platter size) of food and go ahead and add dessert so you're not tempted to go back for more. Portion control is the absolute hardest for me and it's even worse at Christmas parties because everything just tastes so darn good!
Make Good Choices || I was recently reminded of the 80-20% rule, which means that you eat healthy 80% of the time and whatever you want the other 20% of the time. I honestly don't think 80% is a nice, well-rounded percentage for this peri-menopausal mama! Maybe more like I need to eat healthy 95.637% of the time. But in all honesty, maintaining your weight during the holidays comes down to making good choices. I ask myself all the time, "How much longer will I have to walk if I enjoy another piece of pizza or dessert?" If it's not worth it, or I don't have the extra exercise time, then I tell myself, "maybe next time." I'm a big fan of "next time" because that just puts off the tempting choice.
I hope these five tips will help you make it through the Christmas season without gaining those unwanted pounds. I personally will just be happy to maintain through the holidays and pick up with those never ending last four pounds in January.