Monday, December 10, 2018

How Our Family Was Scammed (Already!) This Season

It wasn't even December yet and we had already been a victim of a scam! Are you surprised? I wasn't because scammers are getting even more brazen and smarter with their new age deceitfulness. Buyers beware! 

If you have a gamer in your house, then you already know that the new Black Ops game made it's debut in November (Alise is a closet gamer, so that's the only reason I know these things!). One Sunday after church, Wayne and I were returning a Red Box movie when Alise noticed that the new version was available at the kiosk so we made the purchase.

We hadn't even pulled out of the parking lot when Alise started hollering, "We've been scammed! We've been scammed!"

Lo and behold, she was holding the CD holder with no disk. Only a PAPER COPY of what the disk looked like.
Of course, Wayne threw the brakes right then and there, went back to the kiosk, got Miss Red Box's phone number and reported the incident. Miss Red Box was very courteous about refunding our money AND gave us a voucher for a free movie. But the craziest thing is, she had us re-insert the game into the kiosk! Wayne asked not once, not twice, but THREE times if she was sure he needed to re-insert the empty disk and Miss Red Box said yes, because the owner of the kiosk would have to suffer the damage of a stolen Black Ops game. And that's what we did! We certainly didn't want to be charged extra for returning a fake disk. So I guess the next sucker that came behind us got an empty Black Ops disk, too.

While Wayne was on the phone with Miss Red Box, I couldn't help but giggle about the situation. In my mind, it was some kid who came up with this well devised plan and it worked. And probably more than once! I wondered if the person would be caught? How would Miss Red Box get back her stolen disk? But the more I thought about it, the more it saddened me to think that we now live in a world that has stooped so low as to steal video game CDs right out of the hands of Miss Red Box! 

Have you recently been a victim of a scamming incident? 
Laura
Laura

Hi there, I'm Laura, I'm the happiest wife, the loudest cheer mom, and the craziest girlfriend you'all ever have, I'm a Southern Belle living in a Southern world!

17 comments:

  1. Wow, who knew??? That is just crazy. We haven't rented from Red Box in such a long time but this is a great reminder to check the box before you leave the parking lot!!!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a new one to me, Miss Red Box outta be ashamed., well the kids and thieves of this crazy world ought to be ashamed. Glad you got your money mack but it breaks my heart too. I had some friends who got scammed by a voice recording of their granddaughter which was done just by her saying hello. They lost $7000 thinking she was in jail. Horrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! That is just so sad, Andrea! The elderly are most definitely a target for scams!

      Delete
  3. Good grief! Well first, that's just infuriating and second, yes...what is our society coming to? It is a genius way to scam something like that, but what a deviant little mind to come up with it. UGH! I'm glad your "closet gamer" realized it before you got home! Here's to a great week friend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH!!! People are so shady - thank goodness for Karma in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is crazy! I have never rented from Red box and I don't even think we have them here anymore I know we had something like it for awhile but it is gone. I also think it is crazy there isn't something they could do but just get you to put it back in the box since you/they know it isn't actually in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't rent from Red Box very often, either, but isn't that CRAZY?!

      Delete
  6. Good grief, some folks need to get a life and find something valuable to do. Glad Alise got it so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, for craziness sake! I wish these scammers would use their obvious smarts for something good in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well...someone stole my step dad's Amazon log in which allowed them access to his Amazon credit card. They started buying computers and having them shipped to him (he's a computer programmer so the credit company didn't think anything of it) after the 12th computer arrived and he had called to report the fraud they still haven't a) closed his account b) investigated the charges to the card c) done ANYTHING! ---- Ughhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really? What is wrong with people? I am grumpy tonight and this makes me grumpier. Inconsiderate little thief.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is such a shame! I am glad Miss Redbox made it right. I will have to tell this to my son and his family. They rent Stuff from Redbox all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is just unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I cannot believe how brazen scammers are getting. That is such a disappointment for your girl too. I am sure she understood, but still. Getting your hands on a game you want to play and then to find out it wasn't there after all. I would have been asking repeatedly if I needed to put the disk back in as well. What a bummer!

    ReplyDelete