Monday, November 05, 2018

TBB Asks ~ Thanksgiving Edition

Can y'all believe it is November? WOW! I feel like it was full blown summer just two weeks ago! Isn't it strange how when you're a kid, everything seems to move in slow motion? And now that we're older, everything is moving so darn fast? I remember being a little girl and telling my daddy that I couldn't wait until I was twenty years old (I guess at the time, that age seemed so much fun!) and daddy said to me, "Oh, Laura. Don't wish your life away like that." Oh, how I wish I had listened. Time, please slow down. And with that, here are my answers to the girls at The Blended Blog's monthly Q & A!
1. Have you ever kept a gratitude journal?
Yes, and now I use the Gratitude 365 app on my phone to record daily blessings. I actually have a high school friend that created a gratitude journal a few years ago and now it sells on Amazon. Paige actually sat at my guest book at our wedding (nobody does that anymore), caught my bouquet at our reception, and her mother was my Typing 2 teacher in high school. Such a very creative friend! I am so proud of her!

2. Hosting Thanksgiving at your house?
I've hosted TG before, but it's just easier when it's at my parent's. My mom enjoys all the hoopla and the cooking, so we just go there. But I do help my mom out by preparing a few sides and desserts.

3. Favorite food from the Thanksgiving meal.
I'd have to say my mom's candied sweet potatoes and my green bean casserole. Last year, I tried a new twist on the standard casserole, so now we prefer Cracked Out Green Bean Casserole much better. 

4. What one thing in nature are you most grateful for?
I'm still loving my little owl friend that wakes me up most mornings from behind our house. AND the cooler weather!

5. Pumpkin Pie: yes or no?
No.

6. Traditional cookbook: yes or no?
I was a little confused by this question. My short answer: Yes, I use cookbooks and I love them! Love to read them!

7. Oven baked or deep fried turkey?
I'm not wild about turkey so it really doesn't matter to me. 

8. Thanksgiving leftovers: Yes or No?
No. I can live without turkey and dressing. As a matter of fact, we've changed up the menu some years and had steaks or burgers or shrimp ettoufee.

9. What household product are you most thankful for?
Does a dishwasher count? And a thirteen year old daughter that can unload it!

10. Are you most grateful for restaurant style meals or home cooked meals? 
Y'all. A few years ago, I made the awful mistake of giving my mom "the year off" from preparing Thanksgiving and got the bright idea to buy the complete meal from a local caterer. WTH was I thinking?? It was horrible! Take my advice and don't ever do that. I am a fan of home cooked meals for sure!
Laura
Laura

Hi there, I'm Laura, I'm the happiest wife, the loudest cheer mom, and the craziest girlfriend you'all ever have, I'm a Southern Belle living in a Southern world!

14 comments:

  1. Oh Laura, your daddy's advice is so true! Loved reading your answers sweet friend - I can hardly believe it's almost Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to yummy food and great shopping with lots of decorating for Christmas thrown in!
    xo,
    Kellyann
    www.thisblondesshoppingbag.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, right answer to the cookbook question, I love reading a real deal cookbook. We have a hoot owl out back too and I just love him, in fact spotted him just Saturday. Well, I can tell ya I am thankful for YOU!!!!! Now go tackle this Monday with gusto sista, I hope your head is feeling much better!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Monday Laura. I love reading these TBB Asks and this Thanksgiving Edition is great. I agree with you regarding the dishwasher being the best household product !! Ha, with five children I would never have survived without one !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my dishwasher too. Now all I need is an unloader! Have a great week, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why but envisioning your family getting ready to dig into your catering meal is cracking me up. It wasn't a horrible idea though. It was sweet of you to think that way for your momma. How would you know it wouldn't taste as good! Enjoyed this post Laura! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, I agree. Time is flying. I can't believe it's November already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh - thats a shame about the caterer. you try to give your momma a break & everyone ends up miserable. you know she had to love that a little though - like, "See? you have a blessing in me" :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cookbooks too! And I remember when I thought that 30 was SOOOO old. Ha! Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am no t a big fan of turkey and will not use gravy (other than to make our leftover casserole) so I am LOVING the idea of nixing the turkey and trying other things occasionally. My family would have a fit though. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember wishing I could be 10 years old because my favorite and very cool cousin was 10. That was 50 years ago. Seems like just yesterday. Time really is flying by. Kind of scary.

    Got a good giggle from your comment about the catered Thanksgiving dinner. In another lifetime, I was married to a paramedic. He had to work on Thanksgiving so we ate at a buffet/cafeteria. My girls were mortified. And my youngest daughter has never let me live that decision down.
    Shared you bean recipe with my fam and pinned for the rest of the world. Sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to know more about the Gratitude Journal your friend created. The app sounds great too. Dishwashers are fabulous and especially when someone else loads and unloads them. Have a great week, pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cookbooks, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well,I hate to tell you but time just goes faster and faster the older you get. I don't really get it but it does. Can't believe you don't like pumpkin pie, turkey or dressing. Goodness! I sure don't want a steady diet but a couple of times a year is good. Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never had candied sweet potatoes - but they sound delicious! I'm with you - I wish time would slow down a bit!

    ReplyDelete