Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Show Us Your Books ~ February 2018

Yay!  One of my favorite days in Blog Land! I love linking up with Steph and Jana for Show Us Your Books each month. Love finding out what everyone is reading and getting new books to add to my TBR list. January was surprisingly a slow reading month for me. I blame it on basketball. 


The Secret is out. Oh my goodness. I really, really tried to like The Secret Life of Violet Grant, y'all, and I'm ashamed to admit that I did not finish the last 15% of this book by one of my favorite authors. But I'm finding with Beatriz Williams, that I either absolutely love her books or I don't and this one was a "don't." I didn't like the characters, I couldn't identify with the plot, and after struggling for nearly two weeks and feeling "duped," I simply gave up. I would love to hear what others thought of this novel.
18667976
Sisterly Love. I actually listened to the audio version of Sisters First and enjoyed it. It's been years since I've listened to an audio book, but it was neat to hear both Jenna's and Barbara's voices narrate. It was interesting to me to hear about their life as a President's daughters and to see history through their eyes. 
34220606
The Roaring Twenties. For my January YRP book, I chose The Great Gatsby. I read this book my senior year of high school for AP English and loved it. Or, at least I thought I did. Maybe I got the book confused with the movie starring Robert Redford, and later, Leo DiCaprio. I had forgotten what a hard book it is to read in parts, but I finished it, again. 

A Tangled Web. I really did love The Alice Network, but I felt like this book was all over the place. If you are not up to historical fiction, then I don't recommend it. I loved the setting, the characters, and the plot, but I just found it hard to actually find the time to finish this one. It was long. Over 500 pages, but well worth the $1.99 I paid for it (Kindle). The tie that bound all the characters together was so interesting to me and although I really didn't care for Eve in the beginning, I came to love her in the end. 
32051912
A Fiver. I saved the best for last. After much ho-humming, I finally read my first five star book of 2018! I loved absolutely EVERYTHING about That Month In Tuscany. The book made me smile and cry and just all the feels of a beautifully written love story. it's the modern day version of Bridges of Madison County and I simply couldn't put it down. I finished it in one day. Lizzy's transformation from a lonely housewife into a strong and confident woman is genuine and heart warming. Don't let Ren, the rock star, fool you. He's more Justin Hartley than Jon Bon Jovi and if this book were made into a movie, Mr. Hartley would be my top pick for sure. Totally five stars!!
36899710
So even if it was a slow month for reading month, it ended on a high note!

What have you been reading this month?
Laura
Laura

Hi there, I'm Laura, I'm the happiest wife, the loudest cheer mom, and the craziest girlfriend you'all ever have, I'm a Southern Belle living in a Southern world!

38 comments:

  1. That does it...I MUST read That Month in Tuscany!! I adore Jenna and Barbara Bush so much!! Have a totally terrific FAT TUESDAY sista!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Read A Month In Tuscany and let me know what you think!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your reading month ended on a high note! That's all you can ask for sometimes. I'm curious about Sisters First; glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend Sisters First on audio.

      Delete
  3. I love biographies read in the voices of the people who write them... & I wanted to check out that book on the Bush twins. I think they are such amazing young ladies. Class acts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree about Barbara & Jenna Bush!

      Delete
  4. The Great Gatsby is such a great read!! In my mind Robert Redford will always play Gatsby, he is just divine!

    I am a little interested on the Bush Twins book, maybe i'll add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Robert Redford as Gatsby, but I wasn't a fan of The actress that played Daisy in that version. I think it was Mia Farrow.

      Delete
  5. That Month in Tuscany sounds good! The Alice Network is on my list to read sometime this year when I'm in the mood!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend Tuscany over Network.

      Delete
  6. I've only read The Wicked City by Beatriz Williams and was underwhelmed so I haven't attempted anything else by her. It embarrasses me to admit this, but I've never read The Great Gatsby. It wasn't a reading requirement in school so I've only seen the movie. Month in Tuscany sounds really good, adding it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Wicked City yet, but I follow Beatriz Williams on IG and I think she's coming out with a sequel.

      Delete
  7. bummer about The Secret Life of Violet Grant! i haven't read that one, or many of her others actually, but they are on my TBR. glad you liked The Alice Network, it's on my list. you've totally sold me with That Month in Tuscany, adding it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see if we like the same books!

      Delete
  8. I have the Bush sisters book out from the library right now...can't wait to read it. I liked Violet Grant, but definitely didn't love it. I listened to the audio book. I think when I listen I have more patience to get through a book because I am driving, cleaning or otherwise occupied. If I'm sitting and reading a real book, I will just put it down if it doesn't grab me. I'm so bummed...That Month in Tuscany is not carried at either of the library systems near me! Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was a way for me to let you borrow my Kindle copy of Tuscany. It is SO good! It just showed up one day in my social media feed and I decided to try it. Glad I did!

      Delete
  9. I read Sisters First this month - it was quite interesting, though I'm sure it would have been even better as an audiobook in their own voices. F Scott Fitzgerald is one of my favorite classic authors -- I loved The Great Gatsby but haven't seen any of the movie versions yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you need to watch the movie versions of The Great Gatsby! The clothing/fashion is to die for and made the book so much better to me!

      Delete
  10. Totally adding That Month in Tuscany to my list! Sisters First sounds interesting too. I have The Alice Network on my TBR, but I know I need to be in the mood for something like that so I am saving it for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Can't wait to hear what you think about it!

      Delete
  11. I loved Violet Grant but can definitely see why people do not like it. It's not my favorite of hers though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Violet Grant was definitely not my favorite BW book. Not sure if you've read Wicked City by her yet, but I see where she is planning a sequel for this summer. I haven't read it.

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of That Month in Tuscany but it sounds interesting! Glad your month ended on a high note :) I enjoyed The Alice Network but I totally get what you mean about it being all over the place. I read The Great Gatsby last month as well, but I somehow missed reading it as a high schooler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun that we both chose a classic!

      Delete
  13. I love your yearly reading plan! It’s like a challenge but with so much room for other books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the reading plan on Pinterest and just decided to do it.

      Delete
  14. I still haven't read anything by Beatriz Williams for some reason even though I have A Hundred Summers on my bookshelf and hope to get to it soon. I'm not a big audiobook person, but I have really enjoyed the few memoirs or books I've read that are narrated by the author! Gatsby is one I haven't read since high school, but would love to reread one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Hundred Summers was my favorite Beatriz Williams book. I hope you get a chance to read it soon!

      Delete
  15. I'm just now getting into audio books, so I'll add Sisters First to my audio queue! Sidenote - I always feel so obnoxious writing that word...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I started The Alice Network but just couldn't get going in it and it was due at the library. I'm going to try to listen on on audio when it's available. I think I'll love it. Month in Tuscany is now going on my read list. Thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Alice Network sounds good! I have several of Beatriz Williams' books on my to-read list but I haven't read any!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read that particular book by Beatriz Williams, but I've read a few of her other books and I feel the same way about them that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got to grab Sisters First! I keep getting distracted. haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have Sisters First on hold at the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  21. You little devil!!! I knew you had read a five star book but the further down I read in this post, the more I thought I must have been mistaken. Look at you leaving the best for last. Have already gone to Goodreads to add this book to my to-read shelf. Sounds so good. I loved the Bridges of Madison County and read it in record time years ago.

    The Great Gatsby was a classic I actually enjoyed in high school English. Loved the 70s movie version with Mia Farrow and then adored the 2013 version even more. Have you seen the movies? So beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I first read your review of That Month in Tuscany it reminded me of the movie Under the Tuscan Sun. I can see the difference, but it seems to share the general theme of a woman finding herself and starting fresh in Tuscany. I'm interested in reading books about Italy, please share your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I remember the movie, Under The Tuscan Sun, but I don't think I ever saw it. I highly recommend a That Month in Tuscany. Let me know what you think!

      Delete