Wednesday, January 28, 2015

On My Book Shelf

I thought today I would share a few of the more noteworthy books that I've read recently.  Y'all know how much I love to read.  I enjoy nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, wrapped in a blanket, reading.  And it kills this Mama's soul that my one and only doesn't enjoy it as much as I do!  My other two family members just don't get it when it comes to reading.

Last week, I finished up the psychological thriller, The Girl On The Train, by Paula Hawkins.



I found it on Amazon's Best Books of the Month list and it seems that ever since I started reading it, everyone is talking about it.  Most everyone is comparing it to Gone Girl, but I didn't read that book.  I don't normally like dark reads, but this one was really good and at times, even confusing.  I could totally see this book being made into a movie.

I'm nearly finished with Tami Hoag's new book, Cold Cold Heart and I've really, really liked it.  I discovered this author about a year ago (maybe longer) when I read The 9th Girl.  I especially liked the Kovac and Liska characters and they make an appearance in her new book.  If you like murder and mystery, this may be a new author for you.


This may surprise you, but my genre of choice is Historical Romance.  Now, I'm not talking about the smut books that have the sexy scenes on the front cover. I just enjoy reading fictional stories that take place in the past.  And it seems that those kinds of historical fiction are getting harder and harder to find.  So when I discovered What The Lady Wants: A Novel of Marshall Field And The Gilded Age, I devoured it!  It may be a complete disinterest to some of you, but I loved it! 


The next book I plan to read is Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale.  This is one of my favorite authors, so if you like Diane Chamberlain or Jodi Picoult, chances are, you'll like her, too.  I follow Kristin on Facebook and she has been so excited about this book!  I can't wait to read it!


After watching the movie, The American Sniper, I also want to read that book. Wayne actually listened to it {I told you he wasn't a reader!} and said it was really good.

In other reading news, Sophie Hudson's new book, Home Is Where My People Are, is now available.  I got to meet Sophie {Boo Mama} last fall and she is coming to our church in March!  I'm so excited about hearing her again.  Her first book, A Little Salty To Cut The Sweet, is FREE now on Kindle.

What books have you read recently?  I'm always looking for my next best read!

You can follow my reading lists on Goodreads.com.

Also, I'm asking for questions from YOU - my blog readers - for a post next week!  You ask the questions, and I'll answer!  I'm really looking forward to it!

3 comments:

  1. These all sound like great books! I just finished reading Orphan Train last night and will be starting The Best Yes tonight. What Alice Forgot is another one that I really enjoyed this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost texted you last night asking what I should read! You read my mind! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny...I was thinking about doing a post with books I read last year.
    I just finished "Home Front"; I can tell when a book is good when I cry when I read it. I'm going to check out Tami Hoag...murder & mystery are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete