Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Show Us Your Books ~ October 2018

So Bookworms! Did you read anything utterly AMAZING during October? I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to snuggling up under a warm blanket in front of a nice, cozy fire and a great book this winter. Last week, I posted some fun Christmas novels for the season in hopes that you have time between all the decorating and wrapping to actually read a book, so be sure to check them out. Be sure to stop by and say hi to our hosts, Steph and Jana! 
Where The Crawdads Sing || I didn't get the hype of this book. I think I was disappointed because the story wasn't what I had hoped it would be. This book had one main theme: abandonment. All her life, Kya has been abandoned and this is a coming of age story of her survival in the marshes of North Carolina. Two stars.
36809135
A Stranger In The House || I was in the library one afternoon when I came across this book and remembered that my friend, Kellyann, was nearly finished with it and had great things to say about it. This book had a "Fatal Attraction-esque" theme to me. A married couple and a nosey, obsessive neighbor. The wife has a past, or does she? One of the better psychological thrillers that I've read in a while and couldn't put down. 4 stars.
33984056
The Glass Ocean || An historical fiction tale of three different women's lives aboard the Lusitania, which if you're a history buff like me, you know that the Germans sank the ship on it's voyage to England in the early 1900's. There is the present day author, Sarah, who is looking for her next big book deal. Catherine is the Southern Belle and Tess may or may not be a German spy. This book is a collaborative effort of three authors that intertwined mystery, rebellion, and love into a heart warming story. Four stars. 
36099162
The Street Lawyer || Oh, how I have missed you, John Grisham! I haven't read a JG book in years and this one did not disappoint. Michael Brock is an up and coming lawyer in a huge DC firm, but everything changes the afternoon a homeless man comes to visit his firm, wearing rubber boots and strapped with dynamite. This book made me remember why I fell in love with Grisham's books all those years ago. 4.5 stars.
5351
Juror #3 || This was two books in one and the tone reminded me of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. It's quickly and funny in places and totally unlike Patterson's usually style of writing. Ruby is an inexperienced lawyer, fresh out of law school when she is dumped a murder case of a local socialite. Soon, Ruby finds herself also representing her former fiancĂ© in a murder trial. I loved that this book took place so close to home in Mississippi and the southerness made me smile. I think it would make another great Patterson series. Three stars. 
41090677
Currently Reading || Break out the Christmas books! I'm currently reading Chasing Christmas by Terri Blackstock. I'll let you know next month how I liked it! 
38915854
Laura
Laura

Hi there, I'm Laura, I'm the happiest wife, the loudest cheer mom, and the craziest girlfriend you'all ever have, I'm a Southern Belle living in a Southern world!

20 comments:

  1. Well I am so glad you liked Stranger in the House! I'm all about that genre but really need to venture outside my comfort zone. I'm pinning this post and I want to look for a few of these - the John Grisham one has my attention but I'm not a history buff so that means I probably need to read The Glass Ocean - I'm glad you reviewed it!
    Have a terrific Tuesday sweet friend!
    xo,
    Kellyann
    www.thisblondesshoppingbag.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear about Chasing Christmas. I have "A Stranger in the House' in the house, lol, but now I know its a 4 star-er, it's on!! Have a great day my sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't really enjoy Crawdads; it's not one that really appeals to me. That's great you loved your other reads though! I have a few Christmas books I hope to read next month.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man I havent read a john grisham in a while. I used to love love him. I will add that one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read a John Grisham book but think I need to change that. How can I call myself a bookworm if I haven't read a book of his?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh - I havent read a John Grisham novel in years myself!!!!!
    I need to get to that Christmas book before it has to be back at the library - but then I have 2 books from Netgalley I just got approved for - ALL THE READING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover on your current read! For some reason, I have not been drawn to the Crawdads book. Stranger In The House sounds like my kind of book. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a James Patterson fan Ill have to check out Juror #3,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I put A Stranger in the House and The Street Lawyer on my list for book club! Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree more with you on the Crawdads book. It sucked. Ms. Witherspoon has gave me two "recs" and I hated both. UGH! XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmm, i am very curious about The Glass Ocean - i feel like those 3 women have done another collaboration and i liked it but it was a bit confusing with all the different women in the story but overall i liked it. i will have to check that one out. i've read one Shari Lapena book and liked it so i'll add that one to my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked Crawdads but it was intensely lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been trying to get in some Christmas/holiday reads too! It's hard though with all my other library books that have come in. A Stranger in the House has been on my to read list. The Glass Ocean sounds really interesting and you can't go wrong with a James Patterson book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do want to read Crawdads but I appreciate your honesty about it

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in a bit of a reading slump right now. Maybe some lite Christmas reading will take care of that. I love when John G. comes through with a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man, I hate it when hype about a book leads to let-down when you actually read it. I just got my copy of Where the Crawdads sing from the library holds list finally, so based on your review, I'm going to ignore the hype, go in with low expectations, and hopefully come out with more than 2 stars ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the recommendations! I have a stack of books to read but I always love to add new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh man, it's been forever since I've read JG too but that sounds good. I am also needing something fluffy to read so maybe I'll wait to see what you think of Catching Christmas.

    bosbodaciousblog.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well you know me and books, but I'm still saying hey!!!! Hope you had the best turkey day with your turkeys. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really enjoyed early John Grisham. I remember reading some of his first books once my daughters were a little older and I was able to return to reading and reading something with more than 32 pages and lots of pictures. But it has been years since I last read a Grisham. Will add this title to my to-read list. Looking forward to your review of the Christmas book.

    ReplyDelete