Monday, September 04, 2017

TBB Asks...September Edition

Hello, Loves, and Happy Labor Day! The official end of summer is here. If by chance you're reading today, I'm on my way back home from Alabama. Wayne has family there that we're very close to and so we decided to spend the long weekend with them. In the mean time, I'm linking up with the babes at The Blended Blog for their back to school survey! I'm hoping I make it home in time to read everyone else's responses to this fun blog party!

1. I wouldn't say that I necessarily LOVED school...that's a pretty strong word, but I liked school.  I have some wonderful memories.

2. I can only remember one year growing up that we ever started school after Labor Day. Our schools now start before Labor Day. I guess I'm okay with it since it's the only thing I've ever really known.

3. My dad always woke up my brother and I because he made us breakfast. I was an eager beaver. My parents hit the ground running and I'm still the same way.

4. My daddy use to make us bacon sandwiches for breakfast. I always thought that was a little weird, but then again, it was toast and bacon. Breakfast food, right?

5. Trix were definitely for kids.  These days, I crave Krave!

6. I'm totally against uniforms and I never wore them in school. I don't like being told what I can and can't wear.

7. My mom would buy me new clothes for school. She would put them on lay-a-way at Penny's. Alise and I always have a school shopping day before school actually begins. 

8. I always rode the bus until I was in high school.  Alise will never get to experience the "joy" of riding the school bus.

9. I always had a backpack and the tradition continues.

10. My parents never let me carry my lunch to school.  The first time I did was in the 6th grade and I had a Cabbage Patch Kids lunch box.  Alise eats in the cafeteria and takes her lunch some days, too. 

11. Some days chocolate, some days white.  Depended on my mood, I guess.

12. Lunch box.

13. When I was in elementary school, the merry-go-round was everyone's favorite activity. I didn't care for the monkey bars.  Too many kids go hurt on those things!

14. I had a thing for a new package of crayons every year.  I hated wearing down their sharp tips.

15. Chalkboard. I loved it when my teachers used the chalk holders!

16. Regular pencils.  I don't think mechanical pencils even came into existence until I was in high school.

17. Without a doubt, homework was done at after school before Mama picked me up.  I've kept the same tradition with Alise. We've never stayed up past ten o'clock doing homework. 

18. I stayed with a lady who lived across from my elementary school in the afternoons until Mama got off work. We always had cookies and Kool-Aid. 

19. There was a time when I was in the first and second grade when my dad was laid off from work. He would be at the house when I got off the bus in the afternoons and we would watch Bonanza (a western show) at 4:00 every day. When I got older, it was Saved By The Bell.

20. I would have to say that math was my favorite subject in school, but I was also very good in English and loved history. There was a time I thought I wanted to be a history teacher. 

21. Least favorite was social studies. And PE. I hated PE.

22. My best friend's name in high school was Carrie. We were inseperable and as close as two friends could be! I introduced her to her husband and she now has two girls and lives in Oklahoma.

23. Our high school mascot was the lion.  We were the mighty, mighty lions!

24. I took both the SAT and ACT, but the ACT meant more. I never did really test well and my daughter has inherited that gift. 

25. My favorite year in school would definitely be my senior year!  Oh, the stores I could tell! My favorite elementary year was fourth grade. I loved Mrs. Upton!

26. My parents bought me a class ring.  Such a waste of money. 

27. I helped with and attended my 10th high school reunion. I graduated with a class of 350 students and our attendance was poor. I've never attended another.

19 comments:

  1. Saved by the Bell here too!!! Maybe we Canadians and Americans aren't all that different lol
    Mmmm a bacon sandwich sounds delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you more and more we have in common, yeah, what were mechanical pencils? I forgot about the Merry-Go-Round. Oh I bet you were the sweetest little school girl!! Safe travels home from Bama, relax and enjoy mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yessss. I graduated with 422 people so meh. Glad to know you are another get up and go kinda girl. From bacon sandwiches to diet coke...we're doing pretty well! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We rock! Did you see I got a Subway Diet Coke today too?!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing Laura ! Such fun and I'll join the fun and post tomorrow :) Have a wonderful Labor Day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, totally agree on the wastage of money on the class ring. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought PE was just about the most pointless subject. Total waste of time. I agree with the thoughts on the class ring!

    www.shesleaninginblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved a study hall period over PE any day!

      Delete
  7. Well, for what my class ring was worth to me, I do agree too. But, everybody got one and I just had to also. This was such a fun linkup and I'm so glad you informed me about it. Happy day girlie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish all the time I had gotten a more Girlie ring instead of a graduation ring. My parents gave me the option and I got the graduation ring because everyone else did.

      Delete
  8. Cookies and koolaid! I hated milk (still do) so I would dip my store-bought oatmeal cookies in red koolaid. Yum! Thanks for linking up with the Blended Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great koolaid memory, Sheila!

      Delete
  9. Everyone is killing me with their hatred for social studies!!! Totally forgot about Kool-aid! Ooh yea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved history but not Social Studies. I remember my SS book stinking in elementary. Weird.

      Delete
  10. Oh man, I forgot about bacon sandwiches! Although we never ate them on toast; they were always on white bread and had mayo on them! So healthy, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber! I'm usually not a "toast my bread" kind of girl, either, but that's the way daddy made them!

      Delete
  11. Love reading these answers. Fun times. Good old Kool-Aid (I now cringe thinking of all the chemicals in that stuff).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Lauren! I cringe just thinking about it!

      Delete
  12. Yes to Saved By the Bell! I loved that show, I even watched the college years, which was basically a waste...haha. I loved getting to know you a bit better. Love the Lay-a-way reference. I haven't heard that in a long time!

    ReplyDelete