Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Another Summer 2017 Reading List Update

I've enjoyed sharing my summer reading list with y'all. Book reviews are some of my favorite posts because you get introduced to books and authors that you may or may not ever think about reading. And making new blog friends who share the same interests is always fun. I sure wish I could get my tween to finish, The Giver, for her seventh grade summer reading assignment {insert eye roll!}! I'm not sure whether I'll continue my reading list updates during the fall, but they have been some of my more popular posts. Today I'm joining Jana and Steph for their monthly link up for all the bookworms out there!




Summer  Favorite #2
Before We Were Yours is definitely a five star read in my book (no pun intended). I absolutely loved this historical novel based on true events in Memphis, Tennessee, back in the 1930s - 1950s. I simply could not put it down. It is a story of family loss, sorrow, and eventually happiness. I love how Lisa Wingate brought the story full circle and the ending truly made me cry. But a good cry. Not a bad cry. 

Total Disappointment
I know some of you loved this book this summer because I saw it a lot on social media, but I was thoroughly disappointed. Lisa Gardner is hit and miss with me.  I either love her books or I don't and this one was definitely a don't. I could not get past the "twist" of who the bad person really was and would have enjoyed the book more if the story had been about a serial killer.  Once I found out who the killer was, I actually stopped reading and didn't finish the book. So glad I borrowed this one form the library and didn't pay full price. 

Always A Good One
All you Kate Burkholder series fans will love the latest book.  It's one of my favorite series and Linda Castillo never disappoints.  I enjoyed it very much!

Currently Reading
I. am. loving. this. book. y'all! Early in my reading, I left a comment on Goodreads that I couldn't decide if Evelyn is a Liz Taylor or a Lauren Bacall. But after reading more, I don't think she's either. Evelyn is definitely Evelyn and if the writing of this book is any indication of the "real Hollywood," we've been duped, Peeps! I don't necessarily care for some of the themes in the book, but I was intrigued by all her marriages and old Hollywood style!

Passed
After reading some of your comments last month, I've decided that I'm going to pass on reading Paula Hawkins' book, Into The Water. I just don't think I would like it very much.

On Hold
After finishing Before We Were Yours, I had a hard time finding a new book to read. I sampled one of my favorite authors, Michael Connelly's new female detective series, The Late Show, and couldn't seem to get into it at the time. I also tried a very popular book right now, Crazy Rich Asians. Maybe you've heard of it? Seems like everyone has read or is reading that book, but I couldn't get into that one, either. It was a little too quirky for me. However...I DO plan on picking these two books up again at some point. 

Looking Forward To
Diane Chamberlain is one of my favorite authors and her new novel, The Stolen Marriage, comes out in October.  Eek!  I'm so excited about it because all her books are wonderful! If you are Kristin Hannah, Jodi Picolt, or Chevy Stevens fans, I would highly recommend her books!

You can read my other summer reading updates by going to My Summer 2017 Reading List Update and My Summer 2017 Reading List.

Summer is nearly over. Did you get all your must-reads read? Can't wait to see what everyone else finished this month!

22 comments:

  1. I'm almost finished with Lauren Graham's autobiography. Have you and your girls watched Gilmore Girls together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Alise and I have nearly finished the entire series! Love it!

      Delete
  2. I couldn't get into Crazy Rich Asians. I put it down and never looked back.

    Really loved the latest Kate Burkholder. I feel like I say that about every one of them. LOL

    Are you on Netgalley? The Stolen Marriage is available for request on there right now.

    I want to get to the latest Beatriz Williams before Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that felt that way about Crazy Rish Asians. I was a little disappointed in the latest Beatriz Williams novel. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  3. i definitely thought of liz taylor when i was reading evelyn, but you are right, she is totally her own. such a good book! adding before we were yours to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have GOTTTTT to get my hands on the TJR book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Evelyn Hugo. Such a great book! And errr ... I think she gave a pretty accurate portrayal of Hollywood. They will do a lot to protect fame and money. I liked Right Behind You but I greatly preferred Find Her so much more (not in the same series).

    ReplyDelete
  6. My must reads consisted of all my blogging buddies, like YOU! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw!! Love ya, Girlfriend! Right back at you! I'm behind on my blog reading, though! Lots of drama this week!

      Delete
  7. I love TJR. LOVE HER and it makes me so happy that so many others are getting to know her and how awesome of a writer she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would definitely love to read some more of her books!

      Delete
  8. Before We Were Yours sounds like a good book! I love books that have historical tie ins. And I think that it was good for you to pass on Into The Water. I listened to it, and it just wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy reading historical novels, too! I should have been a history teacher!

      Delete
  9. Evelyn Hugo was so good! Before We Were Yours sounds like something I would like!

    ReplyDelete
  10. TJR is one of my favorite authors and I really enjoyed Evelyn Hugo even though it is quite different from her other books. The Stolen Marriage sounds interesting. I will have to look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2nd blog in a row to have The Seven Husbands listed......definitely think I need to give that one a try. I've totally been sidetracked listening to podcasts and only read one book in July.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved Evelyn Hugo and TJR in general! I just returned Crazy Rich Asians to the library unread, but maybe someday. I have the first Kate Burkholder book sitting on my nightstand and I think I'll take it on vacation with me next week! I need a good series ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only read a couple of Lisa Gardner books and agree they are hit or miss. I saw this book is #7 in a series, so won't be reading it anytime soon! I added Before We Were Yours to my to read list. And I agree on you passing on Into the Water. Was not a fan of that book at all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely adding Before We Were Yours to my Goodreads shelf. The pre-WWII and WWII eras are my absolute favorite in historical fiction, and since I live near Nashville, I'm a sucker for anything that takes place in Tennessee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that first book sounds so interesting. Your review definitely makes me intrigued though it is not a genre a read a lot. I have heard mixed but mostly good things about Evelyn Hugo. It doesn't seem like my kind of thing either, but I might be swayed someday! Good reading month for you! Here from SUYB. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed reading through your reviews. Evelyn Hugo and Into the Water are both on my TBR. It just keeps growing and growing! Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay I love book reviews. Reading blogs of other readers inspired me to list my own books I've read, and how I rated them: https://ishalc611.blogspot.com/p/books

    My July book review is here: https://ishalc611.blogspot.com/2017/07/july-2017-book-review-my-first-blog-post.html

    I enjoyed several summer beach reads in July - Blue Bistro and The Identicals by Elin Hilderbrand

    Also, I heard from a fellow reader that she loved Crazy Rich Asians when she listened on audio. Not sure if that'll help, but thought I'd pass that along. I loved all 3 in the series, and read them in hardback.

    Seven Husbands was such a DIFFERENT TJR book. It kept me entertained!

    ReplyDelete