Thursday, August 10, 2017

10 Back To School Must Haves

I love school supplies, y'all!  Seriously, I do!  I was recently in Target when the store was organizing and stocking their supplies and it was all I could do to not start snatching up pens and post-it notes! I didn't want to get in their way, of course. 

But as a mom of a middle schooler, I can already tell you what the number two things on our back to school supply list will be: loose-leaf paper and BINDERS!! Omg, at the BINDERS!! A binder for every. freaking. subject! For the life of me, I can't understand why we can't have one binder with subject dividers! Alise's backpack weighs a ton!

I decided to put a twist on today's topic and pose this question: Should middle schoolers be allowed to use their cell phones as a calculator in math class? Including tests?

Alise came home from school after Christmas saying that she needed a calculator for math. I bought her one. She has a cell phone, but she keeps it in her backpack/locker since phones are not allowed during school time. I found out later in the year that some of her classmates were using their cell phones in math class and even on tests. The teacher was okay with the students using their phones in class (What the what?!). Alise said that one of the students was cheating on a math test by using their phone. 

I'm not gonna lie. Math was a complete joke for us last year. We had two different teachers both semesters and it was just ridiculous. Alise hardly ever had homework and I just don't feel like she learned as much as she should have to prepare her for pre-algebra this year. I personally don't have a problem with kids using calculators in class, but I don't think they should be able to use their cell phones in math class. 

From what I'm hearing about our math teacher this year, I don't think we'll have to worry about cell phones in math class! Ha! 

6 comments:

  1. Yikes - cell phones in schools. I am so thankful I taught first grade where that doesn't tend to be an issue. I know some schools have banned sites that cannot be accessed on school property but that still doesn't prevent teens from cheating on tests. It is an interesting question for sure and it stinks for the rule followers among us! xoxo ERIN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know what you mean about all the binders. I always remember just having dividers in one big binder. It makes their backpacks so heavy. I don't think my kids can use cell phones in math, they have class sets of calculators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This middle school teacher votes NO! Calculators are fine if the course level or the child's IEP call for one, but never on a phone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry, but I fought the binder thing every year!! Too much weight, and personally it should be what works for YOUR child as far as organization goes.
    As far as the cell phones being out at ALL during the school day...heck no!!! Trust me, my daughter had to take up more than her fair share when she was teaching during the day. Major distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant even imagine what it was like to have a cell phone when we were in school... much less being able to use it. Can you imagine pulling out a pocket calculator in a math test back in the day? NO WAYYYY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I tell you that I'm so happy we don't have to buy all those school supplies anymore??? CUH-RAZY! College supplies are so much easier...if you don't factor in all the dorm stuff. CHA-CHING. I do get a little melancholy when I walk by all the crayons, colored pencils, glue stick, etc... Um, the phones for computers...that teacher was an idiot! She should have just handed them the answers too. Oh well. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete