Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Currently ~ June 2017


Wow! I seriously cannot believe that it is already June 7th! I mean, didn't we just get out of school yesterday? Summer is flying by, that's for certain!  Today I'm joining Anne and Erin of Love, Fun and Football for June's edition of Currently and here's what we'll be talking about: what we're currently planning, wishing, learning, browsing, and going. 

planning// We're planning for Alise to get her braces at the end of June. Baby Girl didn't realize what she was saying when she told her ortho that she wanted them before her birthday. Wayne and I put a hold on those plans for a few months and decided that the best time would be summer. She is so excited, but I don't think she knows what she's in store for.

wishing// It is so amazing to see how God works in people's lives and what's even MORE amazing is that he still uses dreams to communicate His plans. Even though Stephanie was still in communication with her agent, she had pretty much given up on playing basketball again - much to mine and Wayne's disappointment. She recently got a job and had decided she wanted to work off the court instead of on it. One night, she had a dream that she was on a team and just as the coach called her in to play, he stopped her, "Oh, wait! You're not eligible anymore." Steph said she woke up really upset and the next day, her agent called with a spot on a team. How awesome is that?? That was a week ago. It's been a whirlwind of excitement, chaos, anxiety, fear, and lots of tears, but later today, our Baby Girl will fly out with her passport in hand. We're wishing her all the best as she joins a new team, experiences a new opportunity in a NEW country, and dreams new dreams. I'm crying as I type this.  I miss her so much already!

learning// Having said all that, I'm learning that sometimes, being a parent sucks. It's so damn hard. I mean, I've got one kid flying off to who-knows-where and I've got another kid that I've got to explain the facts of life to this summer. And it's because I love them both so. dang. much. that I will do absolutely anything to let them go and live their dreams while I read stupid books about how to talk to your tween. The spectrums, it's crazy. The love for them both is beyond words It breaks my heart when Alise's friends treat her badly and when I can't take off work to drive Steph to New Orleans to get her passport.There's the age difference, the amount of needy-ness that each girl needs. Where Alise use to need me so much, she's perfectly happy with just ignoring me and doing her own thing. Stephanie is always needing me - and then throw in a husband somewhere in the picture and it all gets even crazier! Parenting is just a never-ending learning experience.  

browsing// On a much lighter note, have you picked up Ree's new magazine at Walmart? It went on sale yesterday and I spent most of last night browsing through it's colorful pages.



going// We are just going, going, going! Alise has been attending basketball camp this week with her teammates. I know one tired little baller Monday night after she and her friends came back to our house after camp and swam and rode the 4-wheeler all afternoon! Next week is church camp. After that, I'm not sure, but it still looks to be a very FUN summer for us! 

 Happy Wednesday!

16 comments:

  1. Congrats Stephanie!!!!! Awe mama I feel you on how hard being a mom is and I just have a 9 year old going on thirty and my sweet little four year old! Braces off already?!?! Dang girl! C needs them but she has to wait til she is 12. Which is fine by me! We had a neighbor get them on their kid and then have to get a second set because after two years his teeth shifted back. I would have been livid!!!! I wonder if Invisalign's work....hmmm? Love ya to the bayou and back and for me that's a long damn way! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl! She's actually getting them on at the end of the month and she's 12 so I think that's the perfect age, too! I told her I'm only paying for braces ONCE! I think if she wears her retainer after she gets them off in about 18 months, she'll be fine. Be praying for me! It's gonna be a hard day!

      Delete
  2. Congrats to Stephanie! I hope everything works out for her! I may have to get braces...at 46...so I'm right there with your daughter. I don't know what I'm signing up for. I have a consult coming up and I'm not looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I promise that the end results of wearing braces will pay off beautifully!

      Delete
  3. I included parenting in my learning today as well. I'm only one year in and I know I've got a lifetime of learning still to go, but man- it's hard! They change so fast and I cannot imagine the challenges to come, ha! You are are great mom though and I love reading about what's going on with your older kiddos! Good luck on braces day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! Hang in there! Even through the tough days, there is still lots more of love and happiness!

      Delete
  4. Summer is going way to fast and I feel sometimes like life's moments are so fleeting. A BIG CONGRATS to Steph, I know she is probably scared so I know how much she has to appreciate her soft place to land with you and Wayne. Tell Alise braces are beautiful and it goes fast too, then she'll have gorgeous pearly whites! Love you angel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Braces are a right of passage for so many. Both of my kids had them and it went much smoother than expected. Just give her all her favorite soft foods for that first week. (and Advil before she goes in to get them on and before adjustments) Congratulations to Stephanie. That's a crazy story. Sounds like you'd better make sure your passport is up to date or get one if you don't already have one. Happy Wednesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder about the Advil, Girl! Totally haven't thought about that. Yes, Stephanie is already on my case about getting a passport. I certainly need to get one!

      Delete
  6. I can remember wanting braces as a kid because I thought it made me look more 'grown up'.. haha. Never got them because parents couldnt afford them. Guess it doesnt matter since all my teeth fall out anyways ;) haha #kindasad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to Stephanie- glad she can follow her dreams! That is too funny that Alise wants braces. I guess my middle school students do get excited about them, but I remember hating them as a kid and being so self-conscious! We love PW in our house- Ari even has a stuffed basset hound named Charlie. I would love to win one of her hand-painted Kitchen Aid mixers. She has a great eye for color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, I remember thinking it was going to be so cool to have braces when I got them... and then I got them. Hope her experience goes well. And WOW, playing basketball abroad - what a cool opportunity. And an opportunity for you to do some travel too, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such great news about Stephanie! What an incredible opportunity! Yes, to Lisa's comment about the Advil. It's great for them to take some before an appointment to prevent too much discomfort. Thanks for the reminder about the Ree magazine. I think I'll go pick one up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So excited for Stephanie - but I know exactly how you feel. You want them to be successful and happy, but can't they do it right next to you :)? It's so hard when they first leave, but I promise it gets a little better with time. My boys were so excited to get their braces - until they weren't. It's all worth it in the end though! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to Steph. Life of an athlete is a wild one but so exciting to see them live out their dream. I've got ortho appts for Carly this month too and hopefully she will have her braces on pre-birthday as well. We have to wait until September 1 before the braces go on but I want to know the $$$ so I can reserve it in my taxsaver plan. haha

    ReplyDelete