Wednesday, May 31, 2017

What's Up Wednesday ~ May 2016


Hi Friends!  Just checking in and using the WUW link up to share all the latest and greatest things that are going on with the Horton's these days! We've been busy, but I wouldn't take anything for all the wonderful times and memories we're making. Life is good and we're blessed. So settle in for a long post that's picture heavy!

What I'm reminiscing about...Well, I never actually got around to sharing about Stephanie's graduation a few weeks ago. {Sigh.} It's been a tough semester for her and so finally seeing her with that diploma made my heart smile.  Can you believe I didn't cry? It was an awesome family day for us. We celebrated at a restaurant afterwards and then I bought her a small cake and made apps for her friends and teammates later that night. Dispite the fact that her dad wasn't there, there were lots of smiles and so I think she had a great day! Here are a few pictures from after the ceremony and yes, I am squinting in all the pictures because the sun was so bright.

Do y'all have any idea how hard it is to find a dress for a 6'3" athlete? Stephanie ended up finding this dress on sale at a local department store the day before graduation (ugh!) and even though it was too short in my opinion, there was nothing I could do about it. I thought she looked beautiful that day; she was so happy and nervous, too. I got over to her apartment early and treated her to mimosas and donuts and then we took some pictures on the bayou behind her apartment. 



A pic with her team mates before the ceremony. Love these girls to pieces! True story: Stephanie lost her tassel on the way to the colosseum. Luckily we found it on the sidewalk about fifty yards away. The team mate on the right of the picture is Stephanie's roommate.


If y'all only knew how happy this picture makes me! Baby Girl has come SO FAR in two years! She smiles now. She's happy. She has so much to live for!


More team mate pics. 


This Girlie reminds me so much of myself when I graduated from the same college over twenty years ago. She's got a great job, about to get married this fall and just seems to have her life figured out. Dani is like a third daughter to me and I am oh-so proud of her. She was the key to us finding Stephanie. And yes, I look preggers in this pic, but I swear I'm not.  The wind was blowing my dress around. 




Okay, y'all don't know the turmoil I had to go through to get Steph to keep that stupid cap on! She hated it and complained relentlessly about having to wear it. Alise was dying to wear it so after a few mandatory celebratory pictures for mom, I let her take it off and little sister was too happy to wear it!




What I'm loving...AAALLLL the gardenias in my life!! My favorite flower bushes are in full bloom and every evening I cut off some of the white flowers and put them in small vases around the house so I can smell their summer fragrance. They make me smile. 

What we've been up to...May is always a busy month for us. Let's see, there was graduation, of course, and then the last day of school!



A make-your-own-pizza night and slumber party with a few close friends!




A Birthday in Bama for this Girlie! We met the men's head basketball coach while we were touring the campus yet again (That's Coleman Colesium in the background). Coach Johnson was walking with his assistant when Wayne spotted him and nearly gave us whiplash from stopping the car so suddenly.  Such a very, very nice man with the softest hands ever! Ha! He wished Alise a Happy Birthday and talked to her for a few minutes about basketball. It was definitely the highlight of her day!



Then it was on to Birmingham for a birthday lunch with our cousins!  We had lunch at Perry's and cupcakes from Small Cakes for dessert, at the request of the birthday girl, of course!  They were a hit and everyone in the restaurant was wanting to know where they were from!  We even gave one to our waiter!



Entertaining friends and kids at the Cook Shack! My friend, Denise, made this beautiful vanilla pudding!




What I'm watching and reading...I finished reading  The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff, this month. I was a little disappointed, but enjoyed the ending. Yesterday, I posted about my summer reading list.  Did I leave any must-reads out for the summer? Last night, Stephanie and Alise and I finally went to see Snatched!  So, so funny!! I loved it!  Goldie Hawn is still hilarious!


Image result for goldie hawn new movie

What I'm wearing...A new brand of contact lens. I recently switched eye doctors and so I'm in a new lens and I'm not sure if I like it or not. The lens seems to move on my eye and I feel like I have to focus sometimes after I blink. I had my eyes dilated for the first time in my life a few weeks ago. I really should have lasik eye surgery, but I am waaaay too much of a chicken for it! 

Oh!  And some of you asked to see the zebra blouse with the hot pink cardigan, so here it is! My photographer cut off my matching zebra shoes, though. 



And one more! My Walmart dress and a yellow cardigan. This sleeveless dress is SO comfortable and less than $10! I love yellow and gray together!



What I'm doing this weekend... This Saturday, we're putting Stephanie on a plane to live her dream! This past week has been a whirlwind of chaos. More on all that later. 

What I'm looking forward to next month...Catching up with THIS guy on Food Network Star beginning THIS Sunday!! Five years ago, a local chef from our area won CHOPPED and of course, Angie and I were there to see the finale at Cory's restaurant.  We had soooo much fun that night! He was so nice and personable! I've already texted Angie to let her know to watch and so we're all pulling for this great chef from Louisiana! #teamcory


What else is new... I am so thankful for honest and kind people in the world. My wallet was recently stolen from my office at work and found three blocks over from my building. The sweet girl that found it tracked me down by my library card of all things.  Apparently, the thief didn't know me very well because I hardly ever have cash and so they only got away with $4.  Luckily, though, my debit and credit cards were not stolen and my license was still in the see-through window on the inside.  We're still watching for suspicious transactions on our accounts, but so far, all is good. I wrote Crystal, the girl that found my wallet (on the bumper of her vehicle!) a sweet note, included a gift card and took her breakfast the next day. Praising God for this, y'all! What a blessing! 


27 comments:

  1. I'm so glad about your wallet and it just shows that you are one of those kind and compassionate people to send Crystal that note! Mmmm Banana puddin'! Wish we could share that whole thing together. The pictures of Steph And graduation are absolutely stunning, I love her dress. If a basketball career doesn't work out I'm pretty sure that girl could be a model! And beautiful Alise, baby girl is growing up! I love gray and yellow together too and Sweetie that is one of my all-time favorite outfits on you! I could live in that all summer. Luvs you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Denise sent me her recipe for the Banana Pudding. I will try to post it soon! Pray for me this weekend! It's already been a tough week!

      Delete
  2. I am LOVING that walmart dress!! Adorable!
    OH FRIEND. I need lasik too but I'm too scared. I just KNOW if something is going to go wrong, it's going to on MY eyes. I think I'm going to try contacts my next eye visit... 45 years old & my first set of contacts. I'm nervous. I just cant see to even put on my make up anymore.
    Ahhh - love the graduation pics. I can only imagine what its like finding a dress that fits her height. I'm just 5;8 & I feel like dresses are too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would be happy with contacts, Rebecca Jo. I waited until I was a senior in high school before I got the nerve to get them myself. Wouldn't go back for anything! I actually have a follow up with the eye doctor tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. What's Up??? A LOT! Where to begin? Congratulations on getting Stephanie all graduated. So do you have a post somewhere that kind of tells her/y'all's story. I have a feeling I'm missing some important information. I think the trailers for SNATCHED look funny, but I figured it was filthy?! So since you took Alise I'm guessing it wasn't? YAY for getting your wallet back. I can't believe they didn't take your CC's...what a blessing! You've been a busy lady! Hope you're having a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snatched was not as raunchy as I thought it was going to be, Lisa, and I had already asked around as far as whether or not to take Alise. I would have to say that the language was the worst part. As for our story with Stephanie, it's scattered throughout different posts, but if I had to sum it all up, our relationship with her would be described like the movie, The Blindside. I can't go into alot of detail on the blog and I reserve her privacy. Stephanie is not my biological child, but she is my daughter and a constant reminder to me of God's forgiveness and grace. We are so blessed to have her in our family and this weekend is going to be extrememly hard for us.

      Delete
    2. Just want to start by saying I really enjoy reading your blog Laura and just started stopping by in the past few months! I was wondering about Stephanie, as well (thanks for asking Lisa!). It's like your readers are reading a story and want to know all of the characters! I was like, "Did Laura have her before she got married?'...'Maybe she is Wayne's daughter that he didn't know about?'...my imagination goes wild! HaHa! :) Your explanation is perfect Laura and it's wonderful that she is part of your life now!

      Delete
    3. Lol! Thank you so much, Denise, for reading my blog AND for leaving a comment. I've had many, many readers that have asked about Stephanie. I've even asked her if she would like to write her story here on my blog, but she simply isn't ready and I respect that. She has had a hard life and none of the "traditional" raising that I'm so use to here in the South. The only true way that I can describe our relationship is that it's a God thing. And that's what I tell people who ask because it's the only way I can describe it. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! How awesome that someone found (and returned!) your wallet! And, LOVING your Wal-Mart dress! So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Stephanie! I can't wait to hear what she's doing next! That is absolutely awesome of that girl to find your wallet and turn it into you. And even sweeter how you responded! :) Hope you guys have a fabulous summer, and when I'm done with my spending freeze, I'm headed to Wally World to look at clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is crazy that your wallet was found 3 block away and that someone returned it, so great! Loving that striped dress with the cardigan, too cute. Congrats to Stephanie, such a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots to celebrate at your casa! I need that banana pudding stat! Major score on that walmart dress girlie...looks great on you. Love that you got your wallet back...such a nice reminder there are still good people in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to Stephanie and Happy Birthday to Alise! I can't wait to hear about what S has next in her life. Have a wonderful start to summer, and I'm so happy you got your wallet back. Something similar happened to me when I was in my 20s and single. I was so relieved to get my wallet back that I was just crying with happiness! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crazy thing, Tanya, was that I didn't even know that my wallet was missing! Crystal called Alise's cellphone (our old landline number that she got from the library) and had to tell me that she had it! Crazy, but I am so fortunate!

      Delete
  9. So much goodness in this post - I smiled the whole way through (except for the wallet stealing - boo). Congrats to all the ladies in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lana! I'm glad my post made us both smile!

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad that your wallet turned up! Congrats to Stephanie and those Small Cakes Cupcakes look amazing! Jess at Just Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, so happy for Stephanie and what a blessing you and yours have been in her life. Love your zebra shirt and pink sweater. Sassy gal! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. Lea!

      Delete
  12. I just love you to pieces! This post is so full of good stuff from the graduation to the little girl to food ahhhh you are just a ray of damned diet coke based sunshine - correction you quit that so vodka sunshine and that means we are connected across the miles! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Love you! Raising my vodka glass! Cheers!

      Delete
  13. Well congrats to the graduate!! So happy for her, and you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi I found you on the linkup. I decided a few weeks ago that pink should be a neutral. Looks like you're with me. I love the yellow and grey outfit too. You have a gorgeous graduating daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna! And I agree with you that pink should be a neutral! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. You have the BEST style! I love all your outfits!
    So glad someone was sweet enough to return your wallet! That would give me a major panic attack! Thankfully all your important items were left!

    Lisa @ Showered With Design

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for joining our Ageless Style linkup party.

    ReplyDelete