Tuesday, April 18, 2017

I'm Baaaaccckkkk!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter! Ours was very low key with church and a late lunch with my mom and dad. In lieu of an Easter basket this year, I bought Alise a pair of shoes on Good Friday while we were out fighting the crowds and nearly died when I got to the register and they were $150!!  What the what!? So no chocolate bunnies in her Easter basket this year, but she was fine with it. 

Our church service was actually in the coliseum where we spent most of our winter watching the girls play basketball. It was a little surreal to not be sitting in our usual game day seats - they were hidden by big screens. I hated that Stephanie was on Spring Break with her friends and didn't get to join us, but her cousin was actually in town a few weeks ago for a sand volleyball game against ULM and she and her aunt and uncle came to church with us. We went to lunch afterwards and it was so much fun getting to meet them.



So stinking proud of this Girlie!  She has been accepted to the scholar's award banquet at her school and her dad and I couldn't be happier. Only three more weeks of school for us and we're counting down the days until summer! AND! This week is Easter break for us! 


My whittle ham turned out fabulous for our Easter lunch!  I made the pineapple/brown sugar recipe that kept popping up on my FB feed and that I linked to a few weeks ago. It was perfect for our Easter lunch and I even broke out my China for the meal.



I was missing my Grandma on Sunday so I made the salad in one of her pyrex bowls. So special. Out of all the keepsakes I wanted when she passed away a few years ago, it was certain dishes that I wanted and I love vintage pyrex. 



So.  Let's see.  What all has happened since I last blogged. 

There was a funeral for one of my mom and dad's closest friends. They were neighbors of ours back in the "hood" {when we lived in a neighborhood} and my dad still hunts with Mr. Freddie. Melinda was one of my best friends back in those days when we use to ride our bicycles until the street lights came on. It broke my heart that she lost her mother and I couldn't help but think how I would be sitting in her shoes one day. The good news is that my brother came in town for the funeral as well and daddy took us all out to eat for lunch. I can't remember the last time it was just the four of us.  

There was the week of both a UTI and a kidney infection that I literally thought I was dying from. Oh, and the breast cancer scare, too.  All in the same week! That was a week from HELL!

And I just knew as soon as I spilled the news about Stephanie, God was gonna bring something else to pass. All I can say right now is that I'm thankful she got up off her boo-tay and finished her highlight video. She is back in negotiations and we will just keep praying and see what happens. She had cap and gown pictures last week and her senior portraits are scheduled for later this week. We gotta get this girlie graduated!



I had GNO with my girls. Little did we know that it was prom and so we enjoyed our drinks and appetizers while we "discussed" the dresses we saw. Probably the most disrespectful thing I saw was two guys wearing tuxes with converses and baseball caps on backwards. I don't know what the deal was with the backward caps, but I wanted to go over and slap them both on the back of the head and tell them to take their caps off at the table.  Apparently I hadn't had enough to drink yet, but that just ticked me off!



I'm back on the diet train.  I'm counting calories and using the My Fitness App to log everything I eat. I'm also back to walking six miles and I haven't had a Diet Coke in over two weeks {the only good thing that came out of that UTI and kidney infection!}. The first week, I lost five pounds!  I know that's crazy and that most of it was "water weight," but it gave me the motivation I needed to stay on track. I'm making better food choices but the hardest thing to kick are the frozen lemonades from Sonic. Ha!

Wayne and I will be celebrating twenty-two years of wedded bliss later this week.  We're going out of town and already taking bets on which kid is going to call us first! 

But I'll save that for another post!

12 comments:

  1. Why is it that those dishes and bowls that our grandmothers used as everyday serving pieces bring back so many memories? Your china pattern is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki! Twenty-two years later and I still think it's beautiful, too!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back!!!! Missed you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So glad you are back my friend. It looks like you had a fun few days. I am right there with you with the diet train, I am trying to go low carb this week to get the crazy under control. So glad to hear you are having success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walking six miles? That's incredible. You're totally going to shed the pounds doing that!
    I love vintage Pyrex too - makes me think of my grandmother!!!
    So gotta know - what kind of shoes did your girl get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought Alise Birkenstocks and since they were the "original style," they were the more expensive. And I should clarify that the six miles is per week. I try to walk 2 miles three to four days a week.

      Delete
  5. Congrats to your girl on the scholars award banquet! I seriously cannot wait for summer break. I can totally relate to using your grandmother's bowl...I have so many pieces that I remember so well my grandmother using to serve. Hope you have a great week Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, my home girl's back! OK, you are scaring me, a funeral, a UTI and a breast cancer scare? Dang it, I would've kept you in my prayers had I known! You know baby girl is growing up when she get shoes for Easter instead of the basket, ha ha! Steph looks gorgeous in her cap and gown and you look so beautiful in that shade of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! I'm incredibly jealous that you guys only have 3 more weeks of school. My morning mantra is "I think I can, I think I can"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my - sorry to hear about your health issues. But way to go on getting back on the fitness bandwagon. Sounds like y'all had a wonderful Easter weekend! Congrats to Alise on the scholar banquet invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're back and that all the health stuff is ok! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy early anniversary! I am so jealous that you only have 3 more weeks of school! Texas changed the law a while back and we are required to start very late in August so we don't get out til the first week of June- boo! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete