Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Currently ~ April 2017

Happy Wednesday, Peeps! I'm joining Anne and her co-host, Jess,  for April's edition of Currently. Grab your blog and join us to see what all we're currently accomplishingfeelingneedingpracticing, and pinning




accomplishing// I'm making some progress on our summer calendar! Trying to plan the social activities of an eleven - almost 12! -  year old is not the easiest feat! We have some exciting birthday plans for her next month and she's slammed this summer with some fun camps. We're going to celebrate Wayne's birthday at the beach this year, too! Bring on summer!

feeling// I'll be honest.  I'm feeling quite sad. Last week, we were suppose to take Stephanie to a combine in Texas to try out for women's professional basketball. I couldn't say much about it until after season but she had the opportunity to play professionally overseas. She had agents contacting her and we really thought this was what she was going to do after graduation in May. Unfortunately, now those dreams are - for the time being - on hold. Stephanie is taking the news better than I thought she would have and is trying to stay positive. She has some big decisions about her future to make but In the meantime, into the work force/job market she goes (She still graduates in May)!

needing// Over the past two spring and summers, I've desparately been needing a new white denim jacket. The last one I purchased was from Target YEARS ago and although it has held up well, it's not very light weight or have a relaxed fit. While we were in Memphis, I found a more tapered jacket that feels much more comfortable to wear to work over sleeveless dresses because I freeze in the office.

practicing// Alise and I have spent some time watching the Alabama Women's Basketball Team this season and one of our favorite players is Hannah Cook. She's known for her 3-point shots and every time she swishes the net, we go nuts! Now, Alise is obsessed with practicing her 3-point shots every afternoon and she's determined to be the best shooter on her team next year (And for those of you wondering what Big Sis thinks about all this Bama hoopla, she doesn't like it, but Hannah plays a different position, so she's okay with Alise having a fun role model to look up to).

pinning// I posted last week about this poke cake that is perfect for your Easter celebration! My grandmother use to make a cake like this and so I found a similar - and SUPER easy! - recipe on Pinterest. This past weekend, we tried this pan sheet recipe and I'm happy to say that I'm moving this pin to my 'Horton Favorites' board!


This dinner was so easy and quick! Wayne actually made it all by himself! The shrimp and potatoes had such a great flavor, so it's definitly a keeper and a meal that we'll be having alot of this summer, I'm sure! 

23 comments:

  1. So sorry about the pros for Steph, tough to have dreams dashed!!! I love that you are there to pick her up and motivate her!!! Yay on the white jean jacket, I bet you look all Spring Sweet in it!!! Wearing my earrings to work today!!!!! Luvs ya!!! Have a super duper day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIRL! I thought I had lost one of my earrings over the weekend! Couldn't find it. Looked everywhere! Finally found it on the floor in the kitchen, WITH the back on it, so it must've just slid off the island. Eek! Keep your fingers crossed for Stephanie! She just got another call from an agent! So excited!

      Delete
  2. A white denim jacket sounds like just the thing! And I love one-sheet meals. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry plans haven't gone as expected, but I will tell you that it may be a blessing in disguise. One of my former student teacher's boyfriend plays ball overseas, and it makes life very tricky. Sometimes the team sponsors go MIA and you're stuck looking for a place to live, practice, or even to a new team. As a teacher, I will say that we can always use a great role model for our young kids, so if she's ever interested in getting her certification, the teaching/coaching world could be a good fit! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're trying to encourage Steph to get her teaching certificate so that she can Coach!

      Delete
  4. Woo! Sounds like a fun summer ahead. I'm looking forward to being settled into our house this summer so we can put some fun things on the calendar :) Sorry to hear about the bball news, that is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure Steph is going to end up exactly where she needs to be... hang onto that.
    I need white jeans... & the hunt is KILLING ME!!! So I feel your white jacket pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try Old Navy for white jeans!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness that sheet pan shrimp boil looks delish! I just washed my white jean jacket last night and can't wait to wear it. Sorry about Stephanie...those sports stars can definitely be heartbreakers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed. We got some more good news today.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you'll have some fun summer plans come together! I have a summer birthday, maybe I should start trying to work on a way to spend mine at the beach too. ;) And that sheet pan recipe sounds delicious - it definitely has me wishing I wasn't the only one in my house who will eat spring haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birthdays at the beach are perfect!

      Delete
  8. Birthdays at the beach are always better!!! What is your abnormally tall and athletic offspring's major? She's gorgeous, young, and apparently full of ambition so yeah she's good to go mama. I gotta get to work....eeeek! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems so strange to already be planning for summer break doesn't it? I do LOVE summer though and ready for some warm weather. Sorry about the change in plans for Stephanie. I love a good poke cake! Have a great rest of your week Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully something else will come along for your daughter. Don't give up hope yet! And if not this year, then next! Sounds like you guys have a great summer planned! I'm looking forward to mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Summer is certainly going to be busy!!

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry to hear about Stephanie. I hope she finds something she loves after graduation!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to make that sheet pan shrimp boil ASAP! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will not be disappointed, I promise!

      Delete
  13. Anonymous8:49 PM

    I lost your blog address, was glad to see it in your IG bio!! Love the Horton fam!! Love ya Alabama Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! You found me!! I'm so glad! xoxo

      Delete
  14. I'm sorry about Stephanie - I know she'll find a wonderful path though! Hope you have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete