Monday, March 13, 2017

I'm Still Here!

The good news is that basketball season is officially over for the Hortons.

The bad news is that basketball season is officially over for the Hortons.

Early last Tuesday morning, I left with two other baller moms and dear friends for the five hour drive to New Orleans for the tournament. It was a very fun -and fast! - girls trip. I was exhausted by the time we got home at midnight, but I don't regret spending the day supporting and cheering for our baby girls on the court. It was a bittersweet day after a hard fought loss and knowing that it was our girls' last official game. They took their jersies off for the final time. Lots of tears, lots of hugs, and lots of love when they came out after that game.



I was not expecting Stephanie to play in the conference game, much less start, but she did. She called me from her bed in the hotel the night before while her team mates were out walking the streets of NOLA and eating beignets, so I knew she still wasn't feeling well. That's so unlike her to not be with her friends. I am so thankful for her trainer, who took very good care of her. However, I didn't find out until the game was about to start that she had been running a high fever earlier that morning and they thought she may have the flu. During warm ups, she was bent over alot and on her knees because she was weak. I've learned that the game goes on, even when you're sick, and you just find a way to suck it up when you're an athlete. She's alot tougher than me - when she wants to be! She didn't have her best game, but she still managed 8 rebounds, some blocked shots and put up quite a few points on the board for her team. I was very proud of her. However, things turned worse on Wednesday when the trainer and a team mate took Steph to the doctor. She was diagnosed with the flu and had to have more IV fluids and this time, phenergran, for the nausea. She slept 18 hours straight. Over the weekend, she's managed to finally shake back and I am forever grateful because she is not a fun patient. She tends to be over dramatic and completely helpless! Ha! 



Little sister was miffed because I wouldn't let her go to the game with us. She had two tests scheduled for the next day, so I was the mean mom and made her go to school. She texted me in the 4th quarter and said, "Mama!  I see you!" She was watching Big Sister play online after school and it made my heart smile. I am SO proud of Alise, too! She's made some really big decisions on her own lately and she made straight A's again this nine weeks. I really needed and wanted to spend some time with her because it's all been about her Big Sis this past week and Wayne and I are going out of town this weekend.  I decided we needed a mother-daughter date night Friday night, so I surprised her and we went to see a movie - that was a little bit more racier than I had hoped for PG-13 - but it had a good meaning. Lots of "tween" discussion when we went out to dinner afterwards and then we came home and both of us crashed. 


Saturday was cold and rainy. I wasn't feeling well and other than a quick trip to the grocery store, I spent the day reading and sleeping.  Wayne grilled pork chops Saturday night and we had a full course meal for the first time all week! So much for the chicken I was craving. We had a nice fire to enjoy for the evening, too! A fire!  In March! Yesterday we slept until 10 o'clock and binge watched all day.  Alise and I did manage to get outside and enjoy some sunshine. We went walking and I sat outside for a while, but then it started getting too cool again. This was the first weekend in a while that we had absolutely nothing to do and did just that! Absolutely nothing! Bliss! 


I shared some Old Navy finds for spring late Friday night if you're interested in adding some new pieces to your spring mix. 

Happy Monday! 

10 comments:

  1. Aweee good weekend for you boo boo, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaasss! It was SO nice!

      Delete
  2. As a teacher, let me tell you thank you for sending your daughter to school. It is very frustrating when kids are out without being sick, and I have quite a few who are gone multiple times a month and don't bother to get work ahead of time. Congrats to Stephanie on her college basketball career- I'm sure that it has created so many great memories, friendships, and valuable lessons. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a pretty tough mom when it comes to missing school. There have only been a few times when I've allowed her to play "hookey." Now my Big Girl?! That's a whole other story! She has NO motivation to go to class and she is out so much the first half of the Spring semester with BB. And, yes! She has had a wonderful college career and we're keeping our fingers crossed that she can continue professionally. Have a great Monday at school!

      Delete
    2. YES...mine had to be on their death bed to miss school. I may have made them tow the line a little too much. Glad you had a great weekend. Love that you had a mother-daughter date with Alise. So special! I spy one of your Old Navy scores in your Snapchat...love that pink blouse. I actually looked at it Saturday when we were cruising through the store. Have a great week!!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Lisa! And yes! I love the pink blouse! It's definitely going with me this weekend!

      Delete
  3. Yay Steph, wow, the memories! My Saturday was spent reading too but Mr. Nine cooked me nothing, lol. Love your floral top and send me the sunshine, there is 3 inches of snow on the ground and it's still snowin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! It's cold here, too, but no snow! This time last year, we had the flooding. If you're reading something good, let me know, Blondie!

      Delete
  4. Your girls are so amazing...
    I bet it was bittersweet to see the season come to an end...& what a tough cookie you have - to even still keep her head in the game with the flu? Oh heck no - I'd be like, FLY ME HOME in a comfy cozy plane please... feeding me ginger ale :) I am a wimp though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make three of us, Rebecca Jo! Neither Stephanie or myself are very good patients. Oh, the moaning and complaining I had to hear last week! Ha! And thank you! I think my girls are pretty amazing, too! When they're not sick! ;)

      Delete