Friday, March 17, 2017

Friday Favorites: Big Hair Version

Happy St. Patrick's Day from Memphis! 

We have a favorite Irish dive in downtown Memphis called Huey's that we like to go to and I'm thinking about having my first green beer today.  What do you think?  I'm NOT a beer drinker, so I may have to let Wayne finish it, but I think I want to try it.  Just for the heck of it! 

Here are a few of my Friday Favorites for the week. I hope they make you smile, or bring back some memories, or give you a spark for the day. Where ever you are, kick back and enjoy the weekend!

{Favorite Concert.} Well, by the time you're reading this, I will have survived {hopefully!} my first Bon Jovi concert!!  #rockon #livingonaprayer. This will be one to scratch off the ol' bucket list! I have always, always, ALWAYS wanted to see them in concert. When I was a teenager, they came to Monroe with another band, but my strict parents wouldn't let me go.  Thankfully, my wonderful husband came to the rescue nearly thirty years later and made my dream happen {And he's still making all my dreams come true}!  More on the concert next week! 

{Favorite Article.} Why Big Hair Will Always Be In Style Down South. Click on the link and have a smile this morning with your coffee. Or Diet Coke. This article is ME, y'all. I think I've shared here on the blog before that Dolly is the reason for my big hair today.  I grew up belting out "I Will Always Love You" in our "formal" living room back in the '70's before Whitney Houston even held a microphone.  Well, maybe I wouldn't go that far, but still {And I like her version, too!}. Maybe this is why I still love the "hair bands" of the '80s!! Ha! 



So from hair to food...

{Favorite Menu.} I saw this on Pinterest this week and decided that I really wanted to incorporate a few of these ideas in our weekly menu. My family would say, "What weekly menu?" as my planning has currently hit an all-time low. Even my 22 year old wants to know, "Mama, why don't you cook anymore?" Ugh. We already have a Taco Tuesday - usually! - but I would love a Meatless Monday with all the veggies this summer and I need to do a little more research on Sheet Pan Dinners. One thing is for certain, my family would totally wig out at the Sandwich option. They don't believe in sandwiches. Really?



{Favorite Craving.} Y'all, it's nearly strawberry season and for some reason, I am craving a strawberry cake! Not a trifle with the angel food cake, but a real, home made strawberry cake. I can't decide if I want just seven minute icing/frosting or if I should do the strawberry icing with real strawberries. That may be overkill since I'm really not a strawberry kinda girl. Weird, right?

{Favorite Worst Drink.} Alise likes to stop and get a "snack" after school when I pick her up and fortunately there is a McDonald's right down the road.  We've gone through the drive-thru twice to get a Shamrock Shake, but the machine has always been broken. We should have taken that as an omen. The machine was working this week and so we stopped and got the milkshake and it was the worst thing I've had in a very long time. That was $3 down the drain because Alise couldn't drink it, either. If you like mint flavor, then you MIGHT like it. OMGosh, it was awful! I say pass up the St. Paddy's Day treat and get a Diet Coke instead!  Bleh



And now to TV...

{Favorite Binge.} I shared earlier in the week that we did absolutely NOTHING this past weekend to celebrate DST but eat pork chops that looked like beef instead of the chicken I was craving {SC!}, but oh, well!  I didn't have to grill it! If there was ever a series that Wayne and I began from the very beginning and watched the entire way through, it was The Sopranos. Whell...we started watching the series again this past weekend. Alise wasn't allowed in the theater room. We couldn't believe that the show started on HBO in 1999! Wow! It seems like yesterday that we were getting together with our friends on Sundays at 8 to watch.

{Favorite Text.} And speaking of Reese Witherspoon {in the big hair article!}, if you're not following her on IG, you should be. Sometimes she is so hilarious.  I saw this on my feed on Monday and I just totally cracked up laughing! Is anyone watching this show on HBO?



I hope y'all have a fun Friday!  The Mr. and I will be recovering from a night of head banging {not really!} and a very, very late night on Beale Street here in Memphis. I wanted to take in all of downtown since we'll be leaving to stay in another area for the remainder of our trip. If you've never been to Beale Street, it's kinda like a tamer version of Bourbon Street in New Orleans. If you haven't been to Bourbon, then you couldn't possibly imagine. Gonna do some shopping, lots of walking and eating. And of course, a visit to my favorite jewelry store is on the list!  You can follow my crazyness and stupidity on Instagram and Snapchat!

Here are some other posts from this week that you might like: Cloth Gown, Old Navy Finds For Spring.

13 comments:

  1. Whoohoo, is your head still spinning today? I hope you had a blast, did Jon pull you on stage? Bha ha ha, cannot wait to hear more about this!!! So exciting! Have fun shopping, eating and then walking it all off, that us what I do. Have fun beautiful babe! I featured your cloth gown story on The Blended Blog today!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! Memphis was a blast and my hair was much bigger than Jon's on Thursday night! Hoping to get a post up soon!

      Delete
  2. You and your big hair have fun in Memphis!!! I think I should investigate sheet pan dinners too...thanks for the tip. That Shamrock shake just looks like McStake😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love that! Yes, it was a big McStake!

      Delete
  3. Hope you're having so much fun! I love Dollyou and I totally pinned your menu helper. I went through my boards and have planned dinners through the beginning of May which will help out with all spring sports starting soon. Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've just saved me a trip - I was going to try the Shamrock shake today for St. Patty's Day - I'll do my usual Starbucks instead ;)
    Bon Jovie Slippery When Wet was my first concert too... with Cinderella. ROCK ON friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. & I just saw I misspelled Bon Jovi... I'm not that nerdy - I know its not Bon Jovie ;) haha Sounds like a cover band name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, we're going to meet friends in Memphis this Thursday and will be staying in the new Elvis Guesthouse that opened last Oct. We'll be celebrating Tommy'a 70th birthday. Yikes, I'm married to an old man. :o)) We may have to check out Beale Street. Can't wait to hear about the concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'all have fun in Memphis! We toured Graceland the very first time we ever went and loved it. We actually talked on the way home about taking Alise to Graceland, but she just wouldn't appreciate it, I'm sure!

      Delete
  7. Love this! Bon Jovi was one of my first concerts back in the 80s and I still remember Livin' on a Prayer was our senior class song. Hope it was a fun concert for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a blast, Tanya! I put a little snip of Livin' on a Prayer on my IG. The band closed with that song!

      Delete
  8. Such a cute post! I LOVE Bon Jovi and yes, big hair is always right in the South. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie! Enjoy your Friday Eve!

      Delete