Friday, February 10, 2017

Friday Favorites: Valentine Date Night Ideas

Hello, Loves!

I knoooooowwwwww! I've been MIA in Blog Land this week and I do feel like such a failure but I am just so freaking busy and tired. Those gummy vitamins I mentioned last week ain't helping all the drama in my life this week AND I've managed to take them five days in a row #thankyouverymuch. I think I need a gummy xanax instead! 

Sorry to bust the mood so early in my post because this one is for all you romantics out there - including myself! - that hate fighting the Valentine Day crowds at the local restaurants. And granted, yes, you could probably make a reservation at your favorite restaurant and get in and out without any problem, but on this special day, I just like it to be me, my man, and my girls. What normally happens at our house is Wayne and I will celebrate together one weekend during February, but on the 14th, we spend it with our girls. We get them goody bags filled with candy and gift cards and maybe something small that they've been wanting and then we have dinner at home with food that we've ordered and picked up. Later we play games or watch a movie. It's family time together and that's what makes me very happy.

But like I said, I want to have a romantic evening with my husband, too, so today I thought I would share some fun ideas for date night on Valentine's Day for moms and dads.


Make Dinner For Him.  I have to admit. When we were newlyweds, this idea did not appeal to me at all {because I wanted to go out to dinner}, but the longer we've been married, I love this idea more and more.  One year, when Alise was much smaller, I put her to bed early on VDay night, got my Betty Crocker thing going in the kitchen and turned on the satellite radio. I had candles, and wine, and I will never forget the look on Wayne's face when he walked through the door that night. I knew I had pulled off the best VDay surprise! We had spaghetti and slow danced in the kitchen. If you need a little menu inspiration, check out Shay's ideas! And if an Asian flair is more your thing, I found this yummy-looking recipe this week!

Think back. Years ago, my mom had our wedding DVD converted to a CD.  I should really get that from her and watch it with my love. We've done this before on our anniversary - the DVD version - and of course I always end up crying, but it really is a nice chance for the two of you to look back and to remember. And I can't help but always think, too, geez, look how far we've come! We laugh, I cry, and it makes us feel so happy to still be so much in love after all these years!

Relax together. Schedule a couple's massage together! We've had massages together before, but never on VDay.  Call around and see if any spas or massage therapists in your area are offering deals for the day and go relax! We never talk about finances or "household topics" while we're celebrating our day. We also try not to talk about the girls and their lives, either, and just concentrate on the two of us.

Unplug. I hate this one. We never unplug. There. I've said it. But we don't have a problem with our phones when we're together. We're considerate of each other when it's just Wayne and I and we don't answer our phones when it's date night. Having said that, Valentine's Day is pretty darn special and even the ding of an email can be tempting to open when what you really want to do is spend time with your man. Turn your phones off for a few hours.  But if you're like me, and begin to twitch at even the thought of pressing the on/off button, silence your phone instead. For an hour. But only an hour! Ha!

Say I Love You and Mean It. Some people say it and some people don't. Our family says it all the time. Mostly when we're saying good-bye to one another. "Bye! I love you!" Can you imagine if that was the last time you ever got to tell your loves - your family -that you love them? Not to sound morbid or anything, but still. It's Valentine's Day. The Day of Love. Say it and mean it. Better yet, tell them why. I love you because.

And I love y'all!  Thanks for sticking by me. Life is hard right now, but I'm looking forward to Valentine's Day! I hope you are, too!

9 comments:

  1. Such great ideas, I especially love the "think back" this is perfect and a must to keep after being married 26 year like us. Remembering what brought us together and all the great times we've had together. Happy Friday Laura ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl we never go out on actual Valentine's day and just try to show much love daily. Our family are huggers and say I LOVE you every single day. I love that you are like this too. Tough week here too, in addition to several things, tooth broke off and had to take one of my moms Xanax to get through it. Thought of u and your mouth ordeal. LOVE you, have a sweet weekend my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gummy pot is more like it. I think I could go for that right now. I'm so far from giving a hot damn about Valentine's Day right now. My Valentine is a jerk face right now who I cannot understand. Ahhh the seasons of freaking marriage. Here I am taking a piss on your sweet post. I'm not cooking, I cook every night for that dip. But it's a good idea for people who don't. I don't care to look at our wedding crap right now. I did earlier in the week and remembered how much I hated our freaking wedding. Isn't that some sugar? Relax together, sounds dreamy! But I'm trying to figure out if my husband is a crack or meth head right now since he cannot stop working. Unplug - laughing, girl, laughing. Say I love you and mean it. I hate those words because they mean I'm being all vulnerable but I can promise you every time I tell someone I love them I do mean it with all my heart. You know what - you rock love to you, sweetness! xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you find gummy xanax - send 'em my way too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always celebrated Valentine's Day as a family. I love it. Big dinner, fun dessert and treats for the kids. Kent and I are going to Fleming's Sunday night for an early celebration. Too crazy to go on a Tuesday (we're so old that way😉). Have a great weekend Laura. OH and you might be onto something with the gummy Xanax...better contact one of the pharmaceutical co's before you get scooped.👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've never done much for Valentine's Day - but I love all your ideas. Hope next week is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We never go out for VD. We used to years and years ago but I hate that the places around here have price fixe menus. I made a small lasagna and will pop in oven and open up a bottle of Rombauer Zin. Call it a night. We are going to see Fifty Shades Darker that afternoon. So if that doesn't set the mood, then I don't know what will HAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a wonderful evening, Kim! Have fun! I'll be celebrating with my girls!

      Delete
  8. Such great ideas! I love that first one...so true sometimes rekindling the flame.

    ReplyDelete