Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Steal & Splurge



Happy Tuesday, y'all and welcome to Show & Tell!  Today's topic is how your family saves and what you feel is worth the splurge. 

Without a doubt, our biggest expense is eating out. It's easy. It's convenient. And can easily become a habit. However, there are times when I'm watching my grocery bill edge higher and higher and the clerk keeps scanning more and more that I don't think, "Surely we could eat out somewhere cheaper than this!" So the first thing to go is our eating out when we're trying to cut back or save for something special. I try to meal plan before I grocery shop and take a list with me. I find that when I have a list, I spend less money. I also try not to take the other three family members with me when I go because they tend to add to the cost, too!  Ha!

One example of how I recently saved beau coup money was shopping the sale racks for Alise's winter dance formal. I know we're talking about saving money, here, but I don't normally shop sale racks, and I just had this THING about spending alot of money on a dress that my eleven year old would only wear one time. It wasn't "worth the splurge" in my opinion. So Alise and I caught "the Dillard's sale" on January 1st and bought her dress for eleven dollars! I was tickled to death!

Our biggest splurges usually take place around family birthdays, anniversary time, and summer vacations. Before we had daycare, and private school, and cheerleading, and basketball high-tops, and Kate Spade purses, Wayne and I use to do it up good during those special occassions!  We've skiied, we've cruised, we've Disneyed (and Alise has, too!), we've Tahoed, and all that jazz. Things are a little different now, but we still manage at least one "big" trip every year and then the two of us steal away for a long weekend for our birthdays and anniversary.  Probably our biggest splurge ever was in 2015 for our 20th wedding anniversary. We went on an Hawaiian Cruise to all the islands and it was incredible! And yes!  We saved nearly a year for that trip on top of our regular household savings.


Another splurge was when we took Alise to Disney for her 4th birthday. She probably doesn't remember too much about it now, but it was the perfect birthday during the height of her love for all things Disney Princess and we went all out! We treated her to the Bippity Boppity Boutique for the works and then had lunch with all the princesses in Cinderella's castle. We had told the manager that it was her birthday, so when each of the princesses came out, they came to our table first to say hello and wish Alise a happy birthday.  We celebrated with chocolate cake and it was amazing!  Even for this thirty-six year old mom {at the time, of course!}.


I wanted to say thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday last week! I loved reading all your comments on social media! So many of you have become dear friends that I love and appreciate! I had an amazing day with my family and friends. My night ended with a toddy, pasta, and chocolate cake so I was a very happy girl! I also wanted to apologize for being so far behind on blog reading and commenting. It seems that ever since I've had my root canal two weeks ago, it's taken me a while to focus on my reading and writing again.  I blame it on all the pain meds! Ha!

Enjoy your Tuesday, loves!

14 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Trip experiences are definitely worth the splurge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sarita! Thanks for leaving a comment!

      Delete
  2. Eating out is by far the easiest to cut and has the biggest bang for it's buck. I just cannot seem to get this through my kids heads!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time explaining it to my girls, too.

      Delete
  3. Now that it's down to the 2 of us, eating out feels so cheap especially because we sometimes share or I order off the kids menu...hahaha. Kent talks about me being a cheap date🤗. We definitely think more about what we are spending on eating out when every body happens to be home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to make fun of my mom and dad for sharing a meal when they use to go out to eat, but I realize Wayne and I are doing it more and more. It's the beverages like tea and cokes that are out of this world expensive with a meal, but I can't convince Wayne to drink water!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you've had some amazing vacations. Some of my favorite trips were when we took our kids to Disney. Fun times for sure! I always spend too much at the grocery store and then turn around and eat out half the time anyway. Makes no sense, but oh well! I'm not very good at budgeting and saving money. I like to shop too much;) That's a great deal on Alise's dress, though. That would make me happy too. Those dances are a lot of fun for the kids, but can cost mom and dad a pretty penny. Have a good week -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Amy! I'm a shopper, too! What can I say?

      Delete
  5. I spend so much money on eating out. But I feel like the grocery is a waste. I have several things I need to toss from my trip last week. So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe try meal planning and know the days you're going to eat out and only buy food for when you know you'll be home. I'm serious! Menu planning has helped me tremendously!

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday Laura, still within the month! Blessings for your sweet family always! Your blog friend in NYC :)

    Sincerely, Robin in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips for saving! This year (2016) it seems like I am finally getting the hang of meal planning, and it has helped cut back our restaurant dining. And our splurges are the same - travel and just enjoying experiences together are the best!

    ReplyDelete