Monday, January 30, 2017

Our First Masquerade Dance (and Basketball)

What a weekend!

It was exciting. It was oh-so fun. But for this Mama, it was an emotional rollercoaster! Stephanie woke me up with a text Saturday morning and so the tears began. I knew I had to pull it together for both my girls. I'm Super Mom, remember?!  I can. do. this. And I did!


I had planned to surprise Alise with a mani pedi and I knew we needed to go early to beat the crowds. When I walked into her room, she was still snoozing and Jack was curled up beside her in the bed. She looked so peaceful and beautiful in her sleep mask and all I could think about was a girl and her dog. 


The weekend we went shoe shopping, Alise found this dainty bracelet that she really liked. I put her off about buying it because I thought she might find something else that she would like better. Well, it didn't happen and so I went back last week to get the bracelet as a gift from me and her daddy and it was the only one they had left. Whew! She wore a pair of my earrings to the dance.


As luck would have it, Stephanie had a home game and I was torn between what to do with my girls. But I talked to them both earlier in the week and we came up with a plan. Wayne and I would attend Stephanie's game while Alise stayed home and got ready for the dance. I would leave at half time and come home to finish Alise's make up and take pictures. Of course, Stephanie decided to "show out" and had an awesome game and it killed my soul to leave at half time. 


It's hard being an athlete. There is so much pressure to perform and always be your best. Stephanie's biggest distraction is noise. She is so sensitive about what people think or say or write about her and I think in the past few weeks, she has allowed "noise" to affect her game. She's a great basketball player, but even she knows that she hasn't been playing to her true potential the last few weeks. She's also had some injuries, so that doesn't help, either. The sport takes such a toll on your body. Having said that, Baby Girl was due to get her game day mojo back and Saturday was just that day!  She had a double-double, blocks and steals, and she had a nice write up in the sports section of the newspaper yesterday. I was one proud Mama!

I was also a proud Mama with this girl! Until she threw me out of the bathroom while she was doing her eye liner and I just lost it! I went to our bedroom and cried. 



And then we made up and Alise took this picture of us holding hands. Oh, how this Baby Girl holds more than just my hand!  She will forever have my heart! 


Alise's group of friends had planned to have dinner before the dance at Olive Garden.  I had called ahead to "try" to make a reservations, but nada! So I texted Wayne at the game and asked him to go straight to the restaurant to get on the list for a table for the kids and a table for the parents.  He's great like that. So, I never got a picture of the three of us on Alise's special day and this was the best picture I got of Alise and I.  You can see my nose is red from tears. 


Daddy came through and our group didn't have to wait long to get a table. All the girls ordered fettuccine alfredo and the guys filled up on bread sticks! 



I had no idea that I was the group's official chauffeur until Rebecca hollered across the restaurant, "Hey, Mrs. Laura!  We're all riding with you to the dance!" Alrighty, then!


The Mardi Gras themed dance was awesome, according to Baby Girl!  She had a blast because there was a "real DJ" and a fog machine! They had a lip syncing contest and Alise won musical chairs for her grade. While she danced the night away, Wayne and I hung out at a nearby restaurant and I enjoyed a much needed glass of wine. 

Before the tears returned.

19 comments:

  1. She looked beautiful !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimm! I thought so, too!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful memory and come on, fog machine, this is the real deal! I love how proud you are of the sweet baby girl and she has a most beautiful example in you and tell her congratulations, musical chair champ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is SO competitive, Andrea! She lost musical chairs at the dance last fall and was bound and determined to win this time! She had so much fun!!

      Delete
  3. Awww...what happened to my baby???!! LOL She looked beautiful. Love that dress, and the bracelet is perfect. And, I am dying over the eyeliner. Back in the day, the girls and friends would take it with them and apply in the bathroom (out of momma's sight ROFL).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I told her she didn't need "extreme" eye make up since she would be wearing a mask at the dance, but apparently I was "hovering" too much and when she told me to "get out, mom!" I just lost it. She apologized and it was just a wild and crazy day. But thank you! I thought she looked beautiful, too!

      Delete
  4. ahh - your momma's heart. I can understand the crying. It's always a little shocking to the heart to see your babies grow up.
    She's stunning!!!! ... love the dress & that bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca Jo. I have such a soft heart when it comes to my kids!

      Delete
  5. How pretty your little girl looked! She's at such a fun age. Congratulations to Stephanie on her great game. And, congratulations to you on figuring out a way to be there for both of your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly not easy, Amy, but thanks!

      Delete
  6. Alise looked so pretty. (she really favors you😉) Loved her dress and the bracelet was the perfect touch. I'm happy she had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! I agree the bracelet was perfect. Not too much but just a touch of bling for her special day!

      Delete
  7. These wonderful moments are so bittersweet, aren't they? You're proud of them as they grow up, but want to hold on at the same time. Alise looked so beautiful and I'm glad she had such a good time at the dance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feelings exactly, Lana! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Alise looks so pretty, and I can tell in the pictures that she felt beautiful and confident and was having a blast. So happy it was a great night for her. And what a score on that darling dress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanya, for noticing her big smile! She was soo happy that night!

      Delete
  9. Wow! baby girl is growing up! But, that's all a part of the plan. I spent the day at your workplace today. Tommy had an ablation procedure and is staying the night. I'll pick him up in the morning. He did well and we couldn't be more pleased with the care he received. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wish i had known, Mrs. Lea. I would have come by and visited you!

      Delete
  10. Aww..first dance is so fun! I love the sweet dress she chose.

    ReplyDelete