Monday, January 09, 2017

Is Matte Lipstick For Women Over 40?


I've been struggling with this question since Christmas.

I had never even really heard of matte lipstick until Stephanie told me about it and since she and I do not share the same tastes in lip shades, I guess I was just automatically turned off to the idea. I'm an 80's girl!  Your lipstick is suppose to be BRIGHT! And glossy!

I mentioned a few months ago that I bought Alise a Kylie Jenner Lip Kit when she made straight A's the first nine weeks. I had never even heard of KJ Lip Kits until football season when Alise was introduced to them at school by some of her friends. It only took one pep rally for all the girls to be sporting the same lip shade to cheer in {I know!  I don't even want to think about it, but after Alise lost the new $15 eye liner I bought her in the girls locker room one pep rally, I had the discussion with her about sharing make up!).

So, anyway.  Fast forward to Christmas when she received not one, but TWO new lip kits. Don't ask me what shades they were.  They all end with the letter K. Go figure. The surprise being that after she tried them on, she decided she didn't like the shades. Ugh! Really?

So what's a mom to do?

Well, I tried 'em myself!

I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about.

And I'm still undecided.

First of all, I'm not really a nude shade kinda girl. I like reds and pinks, so the colors that Alise chose were not in my lip color wheel. After I lined my lips with the pencil, I applied the color which at first looked very glossy - just like a colored lip gloss. However, after a few minutes, the shine faded and I was left with exactly a nude lip color or stain.  My brain wanted to keep reaching for a lip gloss - that I could never find - to give my lips some sense of smoothness and sheen.  As for lasting wear, I wouldn't say that the color lasts all day, but I was still sporting the first application at lunch time.

I haven't reverted back to my other lipsticks yet, because I think the subtle look may be growing on me. Some days I feel like my face is very plain without some "real" lip color, though. Ya know, they say women my age shouldn't wear red and bright pink lipsticks because it makes us look older. I won't bother telling you what this 80s girl thinks about that!

So what do you think? Do you like the new look of matte lipsticks? Do you think this product is for women over 40 or is it here today and gone tomorrow?  Just like bright pink lipstick, right?! Can't wait to hear what you think!

Linking up this week with Tuesday Talk and Thoughts on Thursday.

23 comments:

  1. I actually would prefer it for me as a matte. I'm not a big bright lipstick person but like the more natural & I think the matte ones are more natural looking to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the matte lipsticks are more natural looking!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't get into matte lipsticks. I know they are supposed to be better for women "our age" and we aren't supposed to wear "frosts", but DARN IT I like the way they look better.😉 Sticking with what I love❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you, Lisa! Me too!! I'm gonna wear what I wanna wear!

      Delete
  4. I always wear MAC matte lipstick. I don't like how sticky and/or shiny feels, even though it looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know that matte lipstick looks so well with your skin tone, Vicki!

      Delete
  5. I'm a fan of a nude neutral lip. I love seeing women wear bright lips but I just can't pull it off ! I say keep wearing your bright lips lady !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimm! And you, too! I say to each his own and whatever makes you feel good and beautiful!

      Delete
  6. Ditto what Kimm said. I usually go for a nude/neutral lip with a traditional lipstick. Grace has several matte shades that look great, but I am just used to my same old shades! But I say give it a try, if you already have the palette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the matte, but I wouldn't say love. I would like to try a matte in a shade that i personally prefer instead of a nude, but I'm not spending another $40 bucks. Maybe a drug store brand.

      Delete
  7. How funny, I've been pondering the matte shades myself. I've worn bright and glossy for a very long time and I can't really imagine changing but..........I guess time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The matte style of lipstick is very different for us girls that like our bright glossy colors. I would suggest a trying a much cheaper brand before splurging like Santa and Nana did!

      Delete
  8. It's hard for me to do the matte lip (I am 42). My go-to's will always have a frost or sheen to it, perhaps it's my inner 80's girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! The 80s were about frost lipsticks, too!

      Delete
  9. Thank goodness you did a post on this, because I have been undecided about whether or not to do the math let's check trend now for months! Everybody I know is buying the Kylie kits but I'm not sure I want to invest if I'm not gonna like it. I'm a glossy girl myself so maybe I'll just stick to that, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I'll wear the lipkits since I'm "stuck" with them, but they're definitely not my go-tos. #stilllivinginthe80s I would suggest trying a cheaper brand first to see if you might like it before splurging. You and I are too much alike! We love our bright lips!

      Delete
  10. My lips have zero color on their own and I feel "naked" without a little color. I have tried to stay with more neutral tones as I've aged though. Jordan uses Jeffrey Star which appears very similar...may have to check that out. I just feel like glossier lipsticks make my lips not feel so dry but maybe I'm just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say the KJ lipkits and the more neutral shades are growing on me. I've been wearing it for about two weeks, but I totally think that once spring comes, I'll be reverting back to my "happier" 80s shades!

      Delete
  11. I've never been much of a lipstick wearer. I usually just go with a colored lipgloss. I'm so glad you did this post, because I've been wondering about the Kylie kits. I'm sure you look gorgeous, as usual, in them :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Beautiful, and the same to you! I have several friends that prefer colored lipgloss and there certainly isn't a thing wrong with it! There are some beautiful gloss shades out there for sure!

      Delete
  12. Well I'm a 30's girl and I like the wet look and not the dried out look so there ya go. LOL I will admit most days I just put on my gloss (which has a natural, whatever that means, tint.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had some lipstick on in one of your snaps and you looked so pretty! Nothing wrong with gloss.

      Delete