Friday, January 06, 2017

First Friday Favorites of 2017



Happy First Friday of 2017! I hope this week has been fun with ringing in the new year! For us, it meant getting back in to a some-what routine with work and school starting back on Wednesday. We've had cheer practice and a basketball game. We had hot dogs (bleh!) for supper one night. So yeah. Routine.

I'm linking up with Andrea and April today for Friday Favorites and 5 on Friday! Catch up on what everyone else is doing for the New Year! Get some ideas!  Make some new friends!  Say "Hello" and join us!




{one.}

Alise's first semi-formal school dance is in a few weeks and she is so excited! I've been putting off the whole dress shopping because, well, {sigh} I just wasn't ready to face the music. I wasn't ready to come to terms with the fact that my eleven and a half year old baby girl was ready to attend her first formal dance. No way. Fast forward to January 1st and Dillard's 50% off sale. I bought Alise's dress, y'all, for $11 dollars and some change! Cha-ching! Never. In a million years. Did I think I would find a dress for that cheap, but we shopped the sale racks and the dress she chose did not have a price tag. The sales clerk was kind enough to give us a "deal" and then we got 50% off of that price! I have to admit that Baby Girl has great taste when it comes to choosing a "first-formal-dress-that-doesn't-make-you-look-25" and there was hardly no arguing between us! Win, win! I can't wait to show you pictures in a few weeks! I was thinking that since I got her dress for hardly nothing, I would splurge and have her hair styled for the event.  But then again, we haven't bought shoes yet, either!  Eek!

{And just to update, I found the dress on the Dillard's website and it retailed for $89!!  A $78 dollar savings that I'm proud about because I doubt she will ever wear the dress again after the dance!}


{two.}

I am loving Jodi Picoult's new novel, Small Great Things. She is one of my favorite, favorite authors and I was so disappointed in her last novel, that I was a little wary about picking up her latest, but I am SO glad I did! I'm about half way through the book, and I think it's going to rank right up there with my favorite novel by Jodi, The Storyteller. I surely recommend them both! I've done something that I've never done. I've challenged myself to read 20 books in 2017 on Goodreads. There is a part of me that says, "you totally suck, Laura" because it's such a low number, but 2016 was not a high volume reading year for me. It's no joke that I've been in a slump for over a year, but I'm hoping things are looking up!  You can find me on Goodreads as Laura Horton. 

{three.}

I ordered this keyhole dress from the Nordstrom's Half Year Sale last week and I love it! I've been wanting a simple, navy dress for work and I'm loving the keyhole style this season. I got the dress for 50% off, but unfortunately, I don't think the dress is still available at that price.


{four.}

Alise got to spend the day with her BFF this past week to celebrate her birthday! They shopped and had lunch at PF Chang's. Alise was so excited! She came home with a leopard pom pom on her new Kate Spade purse.  I started to give her the "you-don't-mess-up-a-Kate-Spade-purse-with-a-leopard-pom-pom" talk, but I refrained.


{five.}

For all the anti-organization sentiments I had this time last year, I've seriously made up with it this year!  We spent New Year's Eve and day cleaning out drawers, closets, and the utility room. I washed curtains, ironed them and re-hung them. Alise cleaned out the drawers and cabinets in her bathroom as well as her drawers in her room. I found medicine from 2010! I reaorganized the pantry! I cleaned out my closet and gave clothes that I no longer wear to my maid. We can finally walk in our utlity room again! Wayne actually wheeled the garbage cans into the house because the black bags were just too heavy. We took a ton of boxes and black bags to Goodwill on January 1 in the pouring down rain. I feel like a new woman! Only two more areas to go and that's my woman cave and the upstairs and then #operationcleanup2017 will be ovah!!

Enjoy your weekend! Talk to y'all next week!

20 comments:

  1. Whoohoo for a cleanse and purge...such a good felling even if I drag my feet too before accomplishing. POM POM on the KS...too funny!!! Gonna be a great weekend friend, I just know it and especially because you are #1 today on TBB. People around the world LOVE You!! I know I do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You have to go look at my comment! BIG Hair indeed! WOW!

      Delete
  2. You get the prize for successful first week of 2017...cleanout, BARGAIN dress, reading list...you go!!! I've actually been reading a bit myself lately which is WAY DIFFERENT for me. I'm not a reader AT ALL. The Jodi Picoult books, are they mysteries or what? I can count of one hand (not even using all the figers...LOL) the books I read last year, but it's still more than the year before...Lame-O!!! hahaha. Can't wait to see the pictures of Alise all dolled up❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Some people are readers and some aren't. No biggie. I'm sure you have lots of other fun hobbies that you enjoy. I've been in a reading slump for-evah, so it's nice to finally find a book that I really, really like. Jodi Picoult's books are more like novels/dramas. Like I said in my post she's one of my favorite authors, so I definitely recommend her books. And thanks for the kudos! I guess I have been kinda busy without realizing it. More cleaning out is on the agenda for this weekend. I hope you enjoy yours!

      Delete
  3. That dress looks like your style - totally:)
    Glad you're loving that book. I am a Jodi fan myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read it yet, Rebecca Jo? It's on the Best Books of 2016. Just saying.

      Delete
  4. Look at you girl! I've been cleaning out and throwing out this week as well. It's one of my favorite things to do. I saw that dress on the Nordstrom site and gave it some thought but didn't get it. Bet it looks great with your blonde hair. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have bought the dress, Mrs. Lea! You're a blondie, too! ;)

      Delete
  5. What a steal on the dress! Can't wait to see it on her. And, I am dying laughing over here. At least she picked a "leopard" pom pom (she does know her momma well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing, Lauren! That's why I had a hard time saying anything about it.

      Delete
  6. Purging and pretty dresses - I'm so in. I'm totally out when it comes to hot dogs though - hell no. xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat hot dogs, either. It's like a last resort kinda thing!

      Delete
  7. Girl. I so need to get on the game with my de-cluttering! Come help me!

    I'm so so glad you are loving Small Great Things. Isn't it so good?!?!?!

    Can't wait to see Alise's discount dress! I bet it's so cute on her!

    Are we friends on Goodreads? Add me if not. I cant remember anything anymore! PS. I think 20 is a great place to start! Its a good, achievable goal, and you only have to average like 1.5 books a month! You got that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished the book last night and loved it! And, yes! I am following you on Goodreads.

      Delete
  8. You know I love me some Dillard's for girls/junior dresses! We have had so much luck there, and what a bargain you found. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. $11 for a formal dress that doesn't make her look 25?!?!? WINNING!!! I LOVE teaching because I get to see the kids dressed up and hear how excited they are for dances and such but it makes me nervous for when my own daughter starts going and I am pumping out the money for all the dresses. Hahaha. Thanks for the book suggestion, I will have to check it out. I love reading, but last year did not read hardly anything for enjoyment, increasing reading is also a goal of mine and 20 books sounds like a great attainable goal! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kendall and I went to the Dillard's sale New Year's Day & didn't buy a thing!!! Congrats to you on scoring Alise's dress for $11. Congrats to you for finding a dress that a preteen likes, first of all!! I know dress shopping can be grueling! Can't wait to see her dolled up for the dance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading about a good deal! Can't wait to see how beautiful she will look !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only drawback to going on vacation over the NY holiday...no dillards sale!! That sale is always the best...can't wait to see pictures! And I'm jealous of all the purging...I had some grand plans over the holidays and notta got done. I have lived here almost 13 years and I don't think I'll ever get it "finished".

    ReplyDelete
  13. That keyhole dress is adorable! I love that it dresses up a plain solid dress & makes it fun!

    ReplyDelete