Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Currently ~ January 2017

Hello Loves! And Happy 2017 to you! 

I'm still celebrating even though the holidays are officially over. Why?  Because it's my birthday month!  Eek! Y'all know that I like to celebrate all month long!



It's time for "Currently" with Anne and January's co-host, Jessica of An Immeasurable Joy I'm linking up with them and sharing these prompts today: gatheringmakingsippingfollowingresolving.

gathering// Wayne and I are gathering all our "stuff" to file our tax return early this year! Yes, I am a CPA and I don't even do our own taxes!  Is that a shame or what? We've always been blessed to receive refunds, but I've heard rumors that Obama is going to hit married couples hard this year tax-wise and so we just want to get it {AND him!} out of the way especially early this year. 

making// So I've never been one to go all out with the traditional southern New Year's Day meal of black-eyed peas, turnip greens, and cornbread.  Until last year. Minus the greens, tho. This Cajun Style Black-eyed Peas recipe was sooo yummy last year that I decided to make it again this year on January 1st. I made home made mac and cheese as a substitute for greens. I'll still be blessed with lots of money, right? To pay those taxes?

sipping// When the girls and I got together the week before Christmas, we enjoyed some Wine-A-Ritas at our soiree. I picked up a sample pack of these blender mixes when I was at Mistletoe Market in November and they are SO good! The directions are on the package and include which wines or champagnes to use. My favorites are the Cosmorita and the Peach Bellinini. You can check out their website HERE. I purchased the Mix-it Up package.

following// Thank you so much, blog friends, for checking on me last week when I had my root canal consult. It seems that my problem is that my tooth is decaying under an old filling that I have and it is getting close to the nerve. He wants to go in and "clean all that up" and I may not even have to have a root canal!! Wouldn't that be awesome? I was still very nervous and I've decided to go the sedation route, even though it is so freaking expensive! My appointment is January 9th, so I'm following my endodontist's orders and having the procedure as soon as I can.

resolving// Y'all know that I don't make resolutions because I totally suck with keeping them. In all honesty, I just want to be a better person than I was last year. I want to be a better wife and a better mom to my girls. We'll see how long it lasts! Ha!



23 comments:

  1. I love your fun drink recipes! And I never do my own taxes... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! That makes two of us!

      Delete
  2. Sedation sounds like a good plan! I hate dental work too - it's the anticipation of that first touch of the drill that gets to me, so being under would solve that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sound of the drills and all that jazz just totally wig me out!

      Delete
  3. Can I be honest - do the root canal. You'll be glad you did. It is simple & you dont have to worry about pain ever again. I'm not really a pro-root canal advocate - but if its so close to a nerve? I had a filling one time put in that was so close to the nerve & then it hit it & that was the most miserable I think I've ever been. I couldnt get a root canal fast enough. You know how it feels. If you feel like you'll be good, then YIPPEE for saving that money ;) haha Treat yourself for your birthday with that root canal money. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely doing the root canal if he feels like I need it (which, my brain tells me he's gonna go ahead and do it anyway because I have such good insurance!). He just won't be telling me while I'm in the chair; He'll tell me afterwards. When I get ready to write that big, fat check! Ha! I'm going in thinking we're just cleaning up a filling!

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness you're going to sedation about my friend, that eases my mind that you won't be there awake and agonizing over the whole stinking ordeal. I'm so sorry you have to do this at all, especially during your birthday month! I think I might have to check out those drink mixes, I love a good peach Balenie! And loves you to pieces, I hope your week is going fast and great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love the Peach Belini, Andrea! Let me know what you think! Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Hah, love the picture at the end! It often feels that way, huh? That's great you might not need a root canal! I hope your appointment goes well!

    Happy Birthday month. :)

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. Love that last pic. It was fun while it lasted. That is me to a T! ahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GURL! That's why I don't even try!

      Delete
  7. Here's praying you won't have to have the root canal after all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We usually get our taxes done in February....uugh root canals. I've had my share. Not fun, but you'll definitely feel better after you do. Hope you won't need it. I tried those wine mixes at a Food & Wine festival last year. I'm not a big wine drinker, but they were good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you tried the wine mixes and liked them. I'm not a big wine drinker, either. I tend to stay with what I like, but my friend Jennifer insisted on the Blueberry mixer and it required red wine. I'm definetly not a red wine drinker, but it was really good. I was surprised! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  9. No resllutions for me either. Just being the best me I can be. Happy birthday month my friend

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't do resolutions either, just want to be better each year. I know you will be glad to have the dental procedure behind you. Blessings my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday month! ;) I better get on the taxes thang as well. So much paperwork. groan. Btw, your bio made me smile. And I'm a sport illiterate, so pardon my ignorance but is BAMA the team that says "roll tide"? Because my husband and I were downtown Atlanta this past weekend and there were a TON of "Roll Tide" fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, Chrissy, your comment totally cracked me up! Yes, we say, "Roll Tide!" And the reason there were so many of us in Atlanta this past weekend was because we were playing for the semi-finals to the National Championship game. We won, so we will be playing in Tampa on Monday night! Roll Tide!

      Delete
  12. You had me at Wine-A-Rita! YUM! And fingers crossed for your tooth. I would go with the sedation route as well. Tax time is my husband's time. :) I have a problem throwing everything away so he takes over and does such a great job. I just assume everything is junk mail. Yikes! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, Jenna! I use to handle all the bill paying and check book thing until I finally threw my hands up in the air and told my husband he was going to have to start doing it. The tax thing is something we do together and then I drop it off at our CPA's.

      Delete
  13. We never get refunds, but this is our first year with a baby so I'm looking forward to a tax refund! Let's hope Prez O doesn't hit married couples that hard!

    ReplyDelete