Wednesday, November 09, 2016

I Have Lost My Mind

I always said that if anything ever happened to my Mama - God forbid! - I would be SOL when it comes to Thanksgiving. I don't know the first thing about baking a turkey or throwing a pan of dressing together. Shame. on. me. And yes, we call it stuffing. Not dressing. To each his own.

Image result for thanksgiving dinner jokes

A few weeks ago, one of S's team mates posted a joke on Facebook about the differences white people and black people celebrate Thanksgiving with food. Oh, how I wish I could find that joke! It was hilarious! Where we tend to have -what I call - the "traditional" TG meal, the joke was that black people have all that PLUS more! The list went on and on. Sorry. Guess you had to be there. I told W that I was coming to HER house for Thanksgiving this year after she posted that joke!



The truth is, S has been asking since this summer to come to our Thanksgiving with my family. And to be quite honest, I'm a little nervous. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I don't know what she expects our Thanksgiving to be like. And since I know how she is, I thought she would feel more comfortable at our house for the holiday, so I called up my mom and said, "Thanksgiving's at our house this year!" She asked, "Who's baking the turkey?"


So yesterday I called a local caterer and reserved my baked turkey and dressing. Done and done. Mom and I will do the sides and desserts. Later that afternoon, I texted Angie to tell her that I was having Thanksgiving at my house this year and that I had ordered the turkey and dressing.  She told me I was cheating. Whatevah! I don't touch raw chicken.  Why would I touch a raw turkey?


So whoever is baking the turkey at your house in two weeks, I hope it's delish! 

12 comments:

  1. You can be like me - a vegetarian - no turkey to worry about ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I'm not crazy about turkey, but not sure I can go vegetarian! I like my beef and chicken too much!

      Delete
  2. How funny! I've already told my crew that we are going to the country club and leave the cooking and cleaning to them. I've probably only made dressing twice in my life. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?? You've only made dressing twice? I'm really shocked by that, Mrs. Lea!

      Delete
  3. You are too cute!! I host every other year & this is my year! My mom comes over Wednesday & we prep everything. She leaves me a detailed list and tells me when to put everything in the oven. Thank goodness for double ovens! I couldn't live without mine! I cook my turkey in a roaster in the laundry room, though. Ha!!
    I hope you have a fantastic first thanksgiving with your "whole" family! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a double oven! I keep praying - secretly, of course - that my old oven will go out so I can get a double oven. My BFF has one and it is so freakin' nice! We've had TG at her house before and I'm so jealous how easy it all comes together just because of two ovens!

      Delete
  4. Girl! We go out for Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!! And I need that Prozac stuffed bird😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Amanda!

      Delete
  5. I hate turkey and will order it out every single time. Dressing, however, I could eat my weight in and I always, always make it myself. I don't care if I have anything else but dressing and a can of cranberry sauce and I'll be happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big dressing person. Maybe that's why I have no desire to learn how to make it!

      Delete
  6. I about spit out my tea when I saw this!! You know I love to cook and bake with the best of em' but I have never cooked a turkey or real stuffing either. Mom just always does it. This year it is at our house and mama is going to show me how it's done. She thinks I want to know in case she dies but really I just wanna know and the boys want to stay home this year! You did it right my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually go to my parent's house for Thanksgiving, too, and mom makes the turkey and dressing. There have been several years when we do something totally different and not have T&D at all, it just depends. Would love to try some of your "Yankee" "stuffing"! Ha!

      Delete