Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Currently ~ November 2016

Good morning, Loves! It's the first Wednesday in November, can you believe it? I wish the weather here in Louisiana would be a little more cooperative with these fall months! It's still too hot - in my peri-menopausal opinion! I mean, the trees are barely turning here! My parents were in Kentucky last week and my mother texted me beautiful pictures of their foilage. I was so jealous! So anyhoo! Enough complaining! Today I'm linking up with Anne at her blog, In Residence, to share what I'm currently up to.

discovering// Kids give up too easily these days. I've always taught Alise that when we start something, we finish it. For instance, this year with cheer.  There were days that Alise would get in the car crying her eyes out over a bad practice or for being bullied by an older cheerleader on her squad {Mama saw to it that that issue was resolved}. She has never been a quitter so when she told me one evening that she wanted to quit cheerleading, I really thought I was hearing things.  The word, "quit," does not come out of my kid's mouth. I reminded her that we started cheerleading and she had to make it through the rest of the season. She didn't have to cheer next year if she didn't want to. My other daughter has had some quitters in her own life recently related to the sport she loves and I just don't get it. They stuck it out to a certain point and then fell - and I quote - "out of love." I was worried about Steph and how these decisions would effect her mentally because these girls were close friends/teammates of hers. She is so dang competitive and hates to lose, but luckily, her daddy raised her the same way - not to give up! - and so I'm thankful that my girls aren't quitters just because they have a bad day or a coach ticks them off.

celebrating// Last week some friends of ours got together to celebrate Summer's 40th birthday! Such a baby! But her strawberry birthday cake was out of this world good!


We also celebrated our school's competition cheer squad winning state last week! Good times even though Baby Girl is over the pep rally/football season! Boo!


starting// We are starting a new tradition this year as far as Christmas presents go.  As a mother of an only child - up until this year at least! - I made the mistake of going overboard with all the Santa presents every year. There! I've said it. For the last two years, it has been extremely hard making sure that Alise had the "quanitity" of gifts to open on Christmas morning as she always did.  I know.  That sounds terrible and believe me, I'm ashamed. I mean, every year, I found myself buying junk just so she would have alot of presents to open.  Not this year. We're down to three gifts. For both the girls. Not counting stockings. Unlike the "one gift to wear, one to read, one to blah, blah, blah," I'm getting the girls their top three requests (within monetary reasons, of course!) and it has been so darn easy!! Alise is finished! Now, some of you maybe wondering how Alise took the news, especially having an older sister in the picture for the very first time this year. Did she feel like Stephanie was cashing in on her Christmas presents? Let me just say, that I have the greatest kid in the world.  She has never once said anything negatively about our decision to start something new this year or that we were buying Stephanie presents. She is awesome!

wearing// I think I may have mentioned that I took some mental health days from work to spend some time with Wayne while he was off for TWO weeks!  I was so jealous! So last Tuesday was my first day back in the office and I wore one of my favorite fall outfit! Love pairing my leopard cardigan with my bright green lace tunic. I wore leggings and boots that day although the temp was well into the low 90s that day!


I'm honestly not in in the habit of taking selfies, but when I do, I feel like I have a pretty good reason! On Friday, I decided to get a head start on Halloween and dressed all in black and gray. I borrowed Alise's lace choker that she just "had to have" a few months ago and I felt like I had reverted back to my college days of choker fashion!  And would you believe I wore it all day?  Unlike a scarf, I can hang with a choker!


googling// This one was hard for me. Maybe I just don't "google" enough. Ha! I mean, there are blogs that I google and stores that I google, but I don't "research" or "look up" a bunch of stuff on the internet. Wayne had me google the address for a bank for him last week. Now he's the real googler! He googles everything! So anyway, here are some things I've googled lately {and the reason why.  I feel like I have to explain myself!}: "basketball game posters" because we're gearing up for a really big wbb game against a rival and our school's ladies team is going to support the Warhawks and well, we just need some posters! "Early voting in Louisiana" because I was bound and determined to get it over with so I needed to know where to go. "Family picture poses" because I needed some ideas for our Christmas card this year. "Kylie Jenner lip kits" because I promised Alise I would get her one if she made all A's and you cannot find them in our stores here.

So what have you been up to these days?  I would love to know!

16 comments:

  1. Good for you making that change for Christmas presents. We've done that so long for our grandsons, family members, nieces ... we've got to lay down the law on spending this year. Its getting ridiculous. It takes the joy out of the holiday for me & that is SO not the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your currently! I would love for you to do a tween/teen holiday gift guide because I just don't have many ideas this year! That's a great Christmas tradition to start, and I like that you are not following the standard "wear, read, need etc." What if the recipient doesn't want anything to read...ha! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Tanya! Their three top choices had all to be within a certain dollar range and so far, Alise has been a breeze! Her three big gifts have been bought and I'm still picking up "little things" to put in their stockings. Now, Stephanie...that's another story. Her list changes from day-to-day. Ugh!

      Delete
  3. Kendall was an only child for 11 years, and we had to scale back Christmas when my other two kids were born, but she was fine with it, too. Honestly, three days later can they even tell you what they got or who they got it from? I'm with you on going simple! I'm curious what your girls picked as their top 3 requests, though!!
    I love your green & leopard combo!! Cute!! And what the heck is a Kylie Jenner lip kit???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The KJ lipkit has to do with the Kardashians - who we don't follow - but Alise's friends all have the lip kits {a matte lip pencil with liner pencil} and they are popular around here - especially if you're a cheerleader, I guess. I just ordered Alise's for making straight A's and with shipping it was nearly $40! The joys of pre-teen girls!!

      Delete
    2. Next time you go to Canton find the makeup booth. They have all the trendy brands...Urban Decay, Naked, Nars...for a fraction of the price.
      Oh, and the next time you go to Canton let me know!! I'll meet up with you!! :)

      Delete
    3. Oooohhhh! I don't think I've ever seen the makeup booth! And of course, I'll let you know when we head back that way!

      Delete
  4. The real Kylie Jenner lip kit is only sold on her website. The knock offs are crazy bad ingredients like gasoline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tiffany, I agree. I ordered Alise's in the "Posee K" shade from the KJ website.

      Delete
  5. Looking fab in that choker!! You definitely can hang!! ;-) Mama didn't raise no quitters, good lessons here!! Hot leopard and green!!! I love it!! I'm doing a cool it down in LA dance for y'all!!! It actually was 80 here yesterday. However, old man winter tells me it's gonna be a rough one. Yuk!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lawd, girl, send us some cooler temps!?! Why y'all hogging up there?! Bwahaha! Seriously tho! I had to take my boots off yesterday at work because I was having a hot flash! Ugh!!

      Delete
  6. My son is only three months but I've already been thinking about what our present philosophy will be -- I know my parents had a $ limit. So depending on our wishlist one sibling might have more items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine! That's pretty much what my parents did with my brother and I when we were growing up. However, being an only child, I kinda spoiled Alise. Wasn't a smart mama move! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  7. When Santa is no longer at our house we will be taking a trip every year instead of buying presents. My kids (and me too) have everything we need all year long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! Alot of our friends spend Christmas at Disney, but I'm over Disney.

      Delete
  8. as an only child, my parents ALWAYS made sure the tree was completely stocked with presents and now as a grownup i hate getting gifts because i hate everyone watching me and having to be excited about everything even if i hate it - and that's what happens when you buy gifts just for gifts sake, you know? so that's really cool!

    ReplyDelete