Thursday, September 08, 2016

Thoughts On Thursday

It's been a while since I've done a 'Thoughts on Thursday' post, but I was feeling rather "thoughtful" today and in the writing mood, so I'm just gonna roll with it.  Here's what's going on inside this crazy head of mine!


Thoughts for Thursday

What scares me...I read recently that a child was kicked off an athletic team because they were bringing vodka to school disguised in a water bottle. This saddened me and yet, scares the living crap out of me all at the same time. I hope and pray that I never have to go through something like that.  And THAT'S why I fill my kid's water bottle up every morning myself! Ha!

Why I have finally become my parents...This past weekend, Alise had the opportunity to see a PG-13 movie and Wayne and I said no. I was literally thirteen when I saw my first rated PG-13 movie and it was "Adventures in Babysitting."  Looking back now, that movie was pretty tame compared to the ones with the same rating these days. It's not like she's NEVER seen a rated PG-13 movie! She saw "Star Wars" and the Captain Americas, and "Mrs. Doubtfire" (by accident when she was much younger), but we just felt that this particular movie wasn't for her. And she lived. Just like I did when my parents said no, too.

What makes me smile...We had a big slumber party at our house this past weekend with Alise and her friends. They all stayed upstairs in the theater room and Wayne and I even got sleep! I was presented with "the list" of things they were going to do like make pizzas, go to Starbucks, facials, stay up all night - which they did! It was a great time!


What frustrates me...Homework in the evenings. I texted all my middle school mom friends that have a year on me and said, "Y'all lied! I thought middle school was suppose to be easier!" And maybe if I didn't care so much about grades and could let go and just let Alise do it herself, our evenings would be better. They're not horrible; some days are worse than others, but I'm not going to lie and say that I'm just dying to get home at five o'clock every day, either.

How I'm transitioning to fall...The struggle is real, y'all. I hate these months of Indian summer and trying to find something fallish, yet still cool enough to wear in this Louisiana heat.  Yesterday I surprised myself!  I threw on a red sleeveless dress and a floral kimono and I got SO many stinkin' compliments!  Who knew?!



Why I hate asking for help...I'm the oldest and very independent. My motto is I can do it all by myself. I am a success!  I can do this! So it killed my soul to ask my mom if she could come over on Tuesday around noon just to turn the crockpot on for me so we could have an early supper that night. And, gosh, it was so nice!

My proud moment...This girl. {sigh} We haven't seen eye to eye this week. It's definitely been a three steps forward, two steps back ride. And I've tried. Oh, how I've tried. And just when I think I'm going to back away and give her {and me!} some space - because obviously we need it! - she sends me this beautiful picture from her team photo session. She decided to curl her hair after all. 


And when I look at her, I'm reminded of how much I love her and although the easiest thing to do would be to walk away, I simply can't. Cause Mamas don't do that. I am so proud of her and I can't wait for women's basketball season to start!

13 comments:

  1. ohhh - momma & daughters relationships... a bumpy ride at times... but it all smooths out in the end.
    Good for you saying NO to the movie. I cringe when I see YOUNG kids that go to rated R movies. Movies I would be embarrassed to see.
    Love the kimono with that shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca Jo! Enjoy your Friday Eve!

      Delete
  2. I'm not gonna lie....I was the kid partaking in the vodka. I would have never brought it but I am guilty of possibly making some bad choices my freshman year in the marching band in the stands. So thankful my kids didn't put me through that. Good for you guys saying no to the movie! I was so much more lax with my bigs because I was basically just stupid. I definitely monitor a lot more what my littles watch and we sure do talk about it alot more. Loved your kimono look so much I went straight to my friends house last night and bought one from her boutique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your kimono!

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain with the homework! High school hw is kicking our butts, taking hours and hours every night. PG13 movies are so unpredictable. Some of them are just rated that way for action, but others really push the limits! Have a good Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I felt like this movie was pushing the limits and too mature for her right now. Action movies are another story. Sometimes.

      Delete
  4. You are looking awesome in that kimono girl! I love me a cute kimono!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is scary! We have had SEVERAL schools in the area ban water/gatorade bottles for that very reason!!! Bottom line, irresponsible parents...lock up you liquor!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Really, Lauren!

      Delete
  6. I have been so blessed with my oldest child making good decisions, that I'm scared to death my younger two might not. I think staying involved in every aspect of their lives is key, and you totally took that step by saying no to the PG-13 movie. I think secretly kids want boundaries because it means someone loves them and is looking out for them.
    I loved your red dress with the kimono. So cute!! S's hair looks adorable, too. Sorority life is rubbing off on her...or possible you, too! Have a great day, friend!!

    P.S. I read this blog at 5:30 this morning (you're always one of my first reads) I just wasn't awake enough to comment. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Aw! Thanks so much, Emily! That made my day about my blog! I will definitley have to tell S about what you said about her hair! Kudos to you and your awesome parenting skills to have such a great older daughter. I'm sure your younger kids will be fine, too. I agree that staying in tune with what's going on in their lives is so important. I am so blessed and so are you!

      Delete
    2. Haha! Aw! Thanks so much, Emily! That made my day about my blog! I will definitley have to tell S about what you said about her hair! Kudos to you and your awesome parenting skills to have such a great older daughter. I'm sure your younger kids will be fine, too. I agree that staying in tune with what's going on in their lives is so important. I am so blessed and so are you!

      Delete